rad overheating

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:theCabin:had the ranger out on the weekend, had a couple overheats. mainly due to thick gooey mud. definitely not easy to clean the rad, it is like fort knox. i'm going to take the fan shroud off, looks like there is nowhere for the mud to exit the fan shroud and it builds up on the bottom. was thinking a couple 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the shroud would help, going to have to open up the grill area also, just to be able to clean the rad fins. anyone else do something like this, good or bad idea?

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a rad washing wand years ago from snap on.

It fits on a garden hose and works great.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Extra rad Larry.

U know it works best.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
:theCabin:had the ranger out on the weekend, had a couple overheats. mainly due to thick gooey mud. definitely not easy to clean the rad, it is like fort knox. i'm going to take the fan shroud off, looks like there is know where for the mud to exit the fan shroud and it builds up on the bottom. was thinking a couple 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the shroud would help, going to have to open up the grill area also, just to be able to clean the rad fins. anyone else do something like this, good or bad idea?

Quit getting stuck. Or use brew house

Sent from my phone

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem with the engine additives is they will be blown out the rad cap, no airflow through half the rad, and the other half had minimal air flow. so i really don't think additives will help, thanks for the suggestion. i have a rad cleaner( the bilge pump and hose) but i left it at the house. it is in the box now though. i'm looking at putting a few holes in the front grill area, and maybe a hole or two in the bottom rad shroud corners. as for the second rad, it works but the bottom rad really does nothing other than act as an extra reservoir when it plugs up. probably better and more economical to just relocate original rad.

so what are the chances of drilling through the rad when i try drilling the fan shroud? 60/40

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what are the chances of drilling through the rad when i try drilling the fan shroud? 60/40
I did the math, and there's about a 100% chance you will drill through the rad.

Watched a guy at work drill through a battery drilling a hole in a battery box....Play it safe and just take the friggin shroud off lol.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try Keystone Light, it keeps you cool. Might help your ranger

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's the problem....... wrong choice of beer's!!!!

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Larry, that's the number one problem.. cleaning the rad properly... if you need to open thinks up ..then you have too.. it kinda sucks but having a clean rad will never make you overheat.. I have never overheated since 2007 with my 07 gade and now my 10 gade...never needed any fancy cooling additives.. they always complained on how small the rads where on the earlier can-am's cause everybody was overheating.. now the rads are bigger and everyone is still overheating...lmao....... you keep your rad clean from corner to corner and as long as your fan is working you should not overheat ever.. now one thing to note is can-am's need a long time to get all the air out of the system.. you have 2 bleed screws also so you can let air out of the head passages.. belief me.. it takes forever to proberly prep can-am cooling systems.... and I had 6700 k on my 07 and now have 8250k on my 10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom