Quartz creek

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Quarts creek

Hey people. this pointing the fingers has got to stop. I use this site to learn from peoples experiences and have told many people to check out the site and do the same. I have asked my nephew to check out the site and gain some knowledge from from the good people on this site,. He is new to snowmobiling. Just bought his first sled, An M1000 153, and is looking forward to a trip to the mountains. I told him that he could learn a lot from this site.
Now I'm beginning to regret telling him about this site. This thread in particular. I asked the Mods to check out this thread and clean it up which they did. They were much more forgiving than I would have been but they are more experienced in moderating thread than I am.
Lets stop the finger pointing. We all share a common interest here and should be banding together to share our compassion for those involved in the incident ( I call it an incident because everyone come out alive). I'm sure that ALL those involved in the incident have learned a lot from their experience. Some have posted good informative information on this thread which my nephew and his friends can draw from. Some have posted a lot of crap trying to lay blame on some one else. Truth be know you were all up there, some made some bad decisions, Yes. Could I be caught in the same situation? Yes. Will I lay blame on anyone but myself. No. I am the Keeper of my own destiny. Do I make mistakes? Yes. Do I share what I learned from my mistakes? Yes
People of this incident have just shared an experience we can all draw from. Lets thank them for sharing their experience and not cheapen this thread to a dime store rag.

snowgood

Reaction score

The weekend is here! the lessons learned in this thread are done lets start a new post.RIDE SAFE :beer:Thanks pipes !

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The weekend is here! the lessons learned in this thread are done lets start a new post.RIDE SAFE :beer:

sorry Snowgood.,these kind of things are far too much important to let slide the way you are letting it slide. I see that you are new to the site but not necessarily new to sledding. No lesson is done. Every lesson should be lived, that is what will keep you alive.

canamrotax

Reaction score

Tell your sledding partners about this so that all others learn from these very fortunate survivor's words so that this DOES NOT happen again.
I know the White turbo'd Nytro Dude, he's from the same small town as me. He's the kind of person you can't teach, or reason with. I heard from his riding buddy (Blue turbo'd Nitro that died on the way out) what he did, and while disgusted, was not surprised. I avoid riding near him, and hope that his actions do not reflect on our town. I'm in Golden now, heading for Quartz Friday with my son. We keep to the easy areas, as we still have alot to learn!

Last edited by a moderator:

snowgood

Reaction score

sorry Snowgood.,these kind of things are far too much important to let slide the way you are letting it slide. I see that you are new to the site but not necessarily new to sledding. No lesson is done. Every lesson should be lived, that is what will keep you alive.

IAM a PIEPS teach me more:d

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Wow, I just got through reading the novel that has developed on this thread.
This incident has really got people thinking and talking and from an avy awareness point of view this is a great thing.
Just ask Brittany Spears! As long as they're talkin' about 'cha its all good! ;)

No question, the awareness among sledders has really grown in the last year. Randy & I have been waiting and working (patiently I might add...not quietly, but patiently!!) for 10 years for our community to crest this mountain. While it has taken a few years to get to this point I truly believe that we are on the edge of very good trend.
We all benefit from a community of riders with a healthy respect for the power of snow...not fear, just respect. Events of last season and this last couple of weeks are reminding us how much respect we need to have for our selves, our families and the other riders out there. Whether we like it or not we are all connected to a certain extent.

We all have too much to lose.

Keep talking and learning about incidents like this....every discussion leads to a few new ideas/tools to add to your 'safety tool box'.

Every job and every incident needs a different set of tools. How well equipped are you?!

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
On another note...

Through this thread and emails that I have received, I heard of many great observations and group discussions that took place while people were trying to decide on the best course of action.
(Hopefully I didn't misinterpret anyone's comments.)

The conscious assessment of scene safety that was done by both the quick responders and those that chose to remain outside the path were great. Rarely is there a right or wrong decision...usually it is just a difference of opinion/POV. The fact that people were questioning the options is fantastic!

The group command of 'everyone switch to receive!' and then the suggestion that 'let's count heads to see if any of our groups is missing anyone first!' were both great. An amazingly difficult rescue situation sounds like it was handled as best as can be expected. 3+ unrelated parties trying to do a headcount in a mixed up situation is tough.

Hats off to all you riders that worked together to make the best out of a bad situation! :beer:

Enjoy the weekend everyone...we'll likely see many of you out in the hills this winter.
Be sure to stop by and say hello!

Barster

Reaction score
Well I was many miles away when this happened, but from what I have read I can only ASSUME that it was started by rknight and his turbo nytro. dont you agree:d

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Well I was many miles away when this happened, but from what I have read I can only ASSUME that it was started by rknight and his turbo nytro. dont you agree:d

hee, hee! :d

-------------------------------
I need a favor from all you guys that might be headed to Quartz.
All that I will see this weekend is Roughrider green....no sparkly white snow. I figure I better do some shopping before this weekend's classes start so I can fit in to the dress code in Regina and Saskatoon! :d
Look at all the green in this post already. We've just crossed the Saskatchewan border and we are meeting a pile of football fans headed to Calgary (trucks, clothes and faces are green)...it is infectious...maybe worse than H1N1. :d

So, if I can slow anyone down long enough!...I would love for someone to pull out an avy probe and estimate the snow depths in a few places at Quartz. Maybe right in front of the cabin, in the first open meadow area in 'cabin valley' and half way up the trail. Let me know around which kilometer marking you take this depth reading. Also interested in anything higher up if conditions permit. Don't do anything crazy in the name of R&D!
Things are looking pretty thin right now...I'm just curious how thin.
Thanks guys!

Captain-sno

Reaction score

Just ask Brittany Spears! As long as they're talkin' about 'cha its all good! ;)
QUOTE]

Well as long as he doesn't post any pictures without underwear on, we're all safe!:d:beer::beer::beer:

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-------------------------------

So, if I can slow anyone down long enough!...I would love for someone to pull out an avy probe and estimate the snow depths in a few places at Quartz. Maybe right in front of the cabin, in the first open meadow area in 'cabin valley' and half way up the trail. Let me know around which kilometer marking you take this depth reading. Also interested in anything higher up if conditions permit. Don't do anything crazy in the name of R&D!
Things are looking pretty thin right now...I'm just curious how thin.
Thanks guys!

makes me kinda think:eek: having some one that teaches avy safety asking for some second hand reports.not to professional to me

2C

canamrotax

Reaction score
Just wanted to send a big thank you to all the riders who stopped by and helped my son get his sled unstuck, it was a huge help. :d
Conditions were nice today, other than lots of tracks. But that's just a function of how much snow there is combined with the pent up desire of riders right?
Oh, and thanks to the club for plowing the parking lot, also a big help.

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BOOOOOO yaaaa!
Snowed another bunch again this week!
Got pretty warm out there yesterday (wednesday) and we did attempt to film but the snow was sticking to our lens like mad so sorry no footy.
We has about 8-10 inches in the Quartz Parking lot and 2-3 feet up high. Had a ton of fun, but you could feel the moisture in the air even at -1.
Be careful this weekend. New heavy wet slab and temps are suppose to drop for next few days.
Tree riding is UNREAL out there with perfect conditions for a serious SUCKFEST! hahaaaaa

Last edited:

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
makes me kinda think:eek: having some one that teaches avy safety asking for some second hand reports.not to professional to me

2C

First hand knowledge is great but it is often a good start to gather some info from people that have recently been to the area. Pretty hard for me to poke around when I am two provinces away! Everyone talks about 'great pow' and sometimes it is nice to see numbers.

Thanks GSR for the update btw!

Captain-sno

Reaction score

2C

First hand knowledge is great but it is often a good start to gather some info from people that have recently been to the area. Pretty hard for me to poke around when I am two provinces away! Everyone talks about 'great pow' and sometimes it is nice to see numbers.

Thanks GSR for the update btw!

In the flying business we used Pireps all the time (Pilot Reports) pilot to pilot, pilot to ATC and pilot to FSS stations for everything from weather enroute to turbulence. The weather experts relied on pilots for updated info.

I know this is snowmobiling, but same idea. You cannot be everywhere at once. I read your post and I did NOT see you asking for an Avalanche Evaluation.....just some snow depth numbers, doesn't sound like rocket science to me....In fact, I find that trying to keep up todate on relevant information while talking to people is a very professional approach!

But thats my opinion...what the hell do I know?!!:d

Top Bottom