Quartz creek

snowgood

Reaction score
Heading up sun 22 how are the conditions,any signs of avy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Quarts creek

Rode Quarts today, the snow was very good 5 -6 feet, there were no tracks up top as visability was poor but cleared up at about noon, there was an avalanche at the end of the meadow past the old cabin on the right side, couple of guy's were caught in, thanks to the quick action of fellow sledders, everybody went home safe!

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We missed that unless it was the wrecked XP involved? We headed up top and got caught in a quick whiteout so returned to play in the trees in the meadow, then the sun came out when we ran out of energy.

Attachments

• PB214466.jpg
    PB214466.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 109
  • PB214468.jpg
    PB214468.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 114

snowgood

Reaction score

Nice,thanks for the update it looks like you had a good time will post pics tommorow if I have time:beer:glad everyone is @home

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think about 6 people were caught in that avy.
None of them were buried... luckily! My brother was one of them and I'd like to smack the guy that highmarked above him.
My brother waited till no one else was on the hill. He went up and got stuck. We waited to for him to get himself unstuck. Unfortunately 2 guys went up to help him. Now there were 3 on the hill. As they are trying to get out another guy on a Nytro cut above them twice. I was freaking out cause this was the worst hill for that, wind loaded, convex face with obvious thin spots (rocks visible). The Nytro went back up and punched the middle and hit the thin spot with the rocks in the middle. The whole top broke away and all I could do was watch a wall of snow slam my brother from behind. It hit him hard threw him down the hill with his sled. He other guy stuck above was probably swept right over him as he ended up further down the hill. The third person ended up in the same area. I think they were swept about a 150 feet down the hill. I am so surprised that no one was buried. I couldn't believe the force and the speed of the avy in such a short distance. It took us a long time to get their sleds out and drag them down the hill. The snow filled every opening in the skid and set up rock hard so the tracks would not spin. We had to drag them down with another sled just so we weren't sitting up there wondering if another avy could break. One of the sleds has a tonne of damage and one other needs some new plastic. We are just thankful that no one was killed.

I really thought that it was common knowledge that there should only be one sled on the hill at a time. Myself, my brother and another friend in our group have decided that we're not on a hill with anybody near it. You can't be sure what the people around have for avy knowledge.

One of the guys that was caught took some pictures when we were back in the meadows and I hope he sends them to me tomorrow so I can post them. My brother had his camera but he was in quite a bit of pain after.

The avy situation in Quartz is the same as anywhere else. You just don't know and some hills seem very obvious as high risk so if you still want to highmark atleast know you should'nt side hill the the face and cut across or punch right up the middle. Stay to the sides and plan a way out. Oh and only one person at a time. If someone is stuck, don't risk there life so you can get a highmark in.

(My wife's thoughts... she's not happy) "The guy on the Nytro needs to learn how to sled. If he can afford the sled with all the extras he should be able to afford to get some education on avy's and conditions to look for."

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You could of at least let me fix my hair.LOL Good pics Should of took pic of trench left behind......

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Glad to hear everyone's Mac, We came upon the group at the bottom and couldn't understand what you guys were doing towing the 2 sleds down and didn't know the circumstances of the event. Again glad everyone's okay and for some, try using a little common sense if you don't have the knowledge.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You could of at least let me fix my hair.LOL Good pics Should of took pic of trench left behind......

Sorry I didn't relize you still had hair:rolleyes: Should have taken a lot more pics period, get yours up:beer:

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com

Glad everyone is okay... I was up there today and yesterday but only heard of the avalanche as we were heading home this afternoon. On Friday we had white out conditions for most of the day so we stayed in the trees, but we got up early on Saturday and made first tracks to the top of one of the hills in the area. (One at a time of course)
Incredible snowmobiling up there for how early in the season it is... my buddies back in Manitoba don't even have an inch of snow to ride on yet... never mind 1.2 meters of fresh powder on top of at least another meter, 2 in some spots.

Attachments

• PB211154.JPG
    PB211154.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 107
  • PB211164.JPG
    PB211164.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 96
  • PB211170.JPG
    PB211170.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 97
  • PB211186.JPG
    PB211186.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 94

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am taking a day trip ride to Quartz,leaving in half hour.
I'll post pictures and conditions later.
Play safe everyone.

Dave

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We missed that unless it was the wrecked XP involved? We headed up top and got caught in a quick whiteout so returned to play in the trees in the meadow, then the sun came out when we ran out of energy.

thought that mach123 was a little taller, maybe that's why we could not find him when we needed to get dug out? :)

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats a good one , lol I am trying to post pics, I have them uloaded now I just need to find them....LOL

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think about 6 people were caught in that avy.
None of them were buried... luckily! My brother was one of them and I'd like to smack the guy that highmarked above him.
My brother waited till no one else was on the hill. He went up and got stuck. We waited to for him to get himself unstuck. Unfortunately 2 guys went up to help him. Now there were 3 on the hill. As they are trying to get out another guy on a Nytro cut above them twice. I was freaking out cause this was the worst hill for that, wind loaded, convex face with obvious thin spots (rocks visible). The Nytro went back up and punched the middle and hit the thin spot with the rocks in the middle. The whole top broke away and all I could do was watch a wall of snow slam my brother from behind. It hit him hard threw him down the hill with his sled. He other guy stuck above was probably swept right over him as he ended up further down the hill. The third person ended up in the same area. I think they were swept about a 150 feet down the hill. I am so surprised that no one was buried. I couldn't believe the force and the speed of the avy in such a short distance. It took us a long time to get their sleds out and drag them down the hill. The snow filled every opening in the skid and set up rock hard so the tracks would not spin. We had to drag them down with another sled just so we weren't sitting up there wondering if another avy could break. One of the sleds has a tonne of damage and one other needs some new plastic. We are just thankful that no one was killed.

I really thought that it was common knowledge that there should only be one sled on the hill at a time. Myself, my brother and another friend in our group have decided that we're not on a hill with anybody near it. You can't be sure what the people around have for avy knowledge.

One of the guys that was caught took some pictures when we were back in the meadows and I hope he sends them to me tomorrow so I can post them. My brother had his camera but he was in quite a bit of pain after.

The avy situation in Quartz is the same as anywhere else. You just don't know and some hills seem very obvious as high risk so if you still want to highmark atleast know you should'nt side hill the the face and cut across or punch right up the middle. Stay to the sides and plan a way out. Oh and only one person at a time. If someone is stuck, don't risk there life so you can get a highmark in.

(My wife's thoughts... she's not happy) "The guy on the Nytro needs to learn how to sled. If he can afford the sled with all the extras he should be able to afford to get some education on avy's and conditions to look for."

I was there friday, couldn't believe anyone was climbing that slope:confused:, snows not stable enough yet.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was there friday, couldn't believe anyone was climbing that slope:confused:, snows not stable enough yet.

I can't believe after a season we had last yr people would still be highmarking over a fellow stuck sledder...how many times do these morons need to be told...Its one thing to put yourself in danger but have some respect for your fellow sledders.

Captain-sno

Reaction score

My brother waited till no one else was on the hill. He went up and got stuck. We waited to for him to get himself unstuck. Unfortunately 2 guys went up to help him. Now there were 3 on the hill. As they are trying to get out another guy on a Nytro cut above them twice. I was freaking out cause this was the worst hill for that, wind loaded, convex face with obvious thin spots (rocks visible). "

Wow....Glad no one was hurt or worse. Sounds like there where a few mistakes. Based on your knowlege of the hill (above), maybe it was not a good area to play.....But I agree, the guy on the Nytro needs someone to explain a few basics. Also, we have all gone to help buddies stuck, and most of us still do, but In the course they say this is a bad thing to do.

Again, thankfully your brother is alright....have a safe "rest of the season"

skidooboy

Reaction score

more pics of quarts on 21 Nov

Attachments

• DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 70

75crew

Reaction score

how many times do you have to tell people,, when you see someone stuck up on the hill ,,,stay away from them... to highmark past someone,, you are a dumb ---!!!!! the guy on the nitro should take a av class..or stay off the hill.. on the bright side thank god no one was hurt or killed:

Last edited by a moderator:

cwhiting

Reaction score

Rode quartz yesterday awesome day didn't hear about avy until we were loading glad to hear everyone is okay

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com

Glad to hear everyone went home and sucks to read that some fool high marked while people were on the slope below. Did the guy on the Nytro get caught up in it too or did he just trigger he avy and ride off? Hope someone got a chance to educate him?

Top Bottom