Quartz creek

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Quarts creek

Glad to hear everyone went home and sucks to read that some fool high marked while people were on the slope below. Did the guy on the Nytro get caught up in it too or did he just trigger he avy and ride off? Hope someone got a chance to educate him?

No he didn't ride off, he got towed off.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

more pics of quarts on 21 Nov

hey thanks skidooboy for boosting me up on top of the snow, was getting a little claustraphobic down by the sled. :) where were those young guys when you need them to help dig out.

good times, deep snow, great friends lets ride

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You could of at least let me fix my hair.LOL Good pics Should of took pic of trench left behind......

thought you were a grave digger out there with those 5 ft trenches :)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No he didn't ride off, he got towed off.

I watched the guy on the Nytro ride off the hill after he dug it out a bit. The only sleds towed off were the 2 xp's and the zx.
He was at the cabin later and seemed to ride away no problem.
I think he helped out one of the guys in our group and I'm pretty sure he watched from the bottom until we got everyone and the sleds down.
I don't think he was stuck too bad but he was up there with us for a while.
I know he apologized to the guy on the zx so at least he wasn't a heartless azzhat that didn't think he did anything wrong or worse didn't learn anything.

Unfortunately we all know this will happen again but hopefully the rest of the year is nothing but near misses.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I watched the guy on the Nytro ride off the hill after he dug it out a bit. The only sleds towed off were the 2 xp's and the zx.
I think he helped out one of the guys in our group and I'm pretty sure he watched from the bottom until we got everyone and the sleds down.
I know he apologized to the guy on the zx so at least he wasn't a heartless azzhat that didn't think he did anything wrong or worse didn't learn anything.

Unfortunately we all know this will happen again but hopefully the rest of the year is nothing but near misses.

Thanks for clearing it up, I thought that was the nytro that got towed off to the right before the black XP made it down to the bottom.

fox68sd

Reaction score

hey everyone i'm one of the avy victims,yellow xp,i hope people get educated from this ,because the guy who started got away scott free-like a drive by-now i get to pay to fix my sled and body,if anyone see's someone highmarking above someone stop them and give them some education before they kill someone and if you see someone stuck on the side a hill just give them time to get off . i hope the nytro guy feels something for almost killing me and maybe he will think next time, because he was with a big group and he could hav killed any of them including one of the guys had his young son there.just want to say thankx again to the yamaha turbo guy that helped me get off the hill ,and at the end of the day no high mark is worth anyones life .one other suggestion would be that if your sledding with new people for the first time ,maybe go over a few rules in the parking lot

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

great post !!! my sentiments exactly man!!!:beer:

There are sooo many people coming to ride the hills with new machines and full of Pizz and vinegar that they just don't know any better. We all had to learn either the hard way or from someone else, so do these guys and gals a favor......give them a little help with mountain-riding etticate. It will help all of us in the long run. Some peeps will learn from watching, but that may cost someone their lives....... speed the process up & do some teaching yourself, I always try to give a little advice, even if they think they know more than they do!!! :beer:

Play safe & have fun

RN

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Glad you're all ok :)...we saw you working your way out with your busted up sleds! Perhaps a lesson learned here was also that you shouldn't have been on that section of hill in the first place with the avy warnings that were issued for the area? Just curious if you feel that was a safe decision.
It's tough to be at the mercy of the decisions of others, but could this have been avoided with a better decision made by yourself to start with?

Some peeps are very eager to help on the hill and just don't realize that in this situation they need to sit at the bottom and wait. There were guys going up to help others all over the hill that day....if someone comes up to help waive them off or educate them afterwards of the dangers of doing so.

I've stopped and talked to riders on the hills and asked if they are aware of the avy dangers/ratings for that area...you get the ol 'ya, we know' 'we're prepared' 'we know what we're doing'....only to see them do stupid chit the rest of the day with no probe, no beacon...and no sense. :rant:

4stroke474

Reaction score

I was there and watched the whole thing from the bottom with the 2 kids we had in our group . There were many things that were done wrong by everybody that was involved from the guys in my group that were sitting on the shelf to the 2 guys that were stuck on the hill ,the guy that triggered the slide and last but not least everyone that went racing up there before the snow dust had even settled. We sat up late talking about all of this on saturday night . 3 of the 4 from my group that were sitting on the shelf had Air packs on and no one got them deployed thats how fast it happened and how little time you have to react. No one was seriously injured as far as from our group. I know that the guy that set off wont be doing that again. To the guy with the xp that got wrecked and your group I hope everyone is OK. I was the one on the red Apex that met you at the bottom of the hill .
PS. IF YOU WERENT THERE AND DONT KNOW THE WHOLE TRUTH SHUT THE ---- UP AND QUIT RUNNING AROUD MAKING SH*T UP. I was out riding Sunday and heard tonnes of people making outrageous comments about what happened. No one learns from fiction.:nono:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

I was there! I was the first one that raced up the hill to help, now if you think that i made a bad decision in trying to help the victims of that foolish event then go f yourself. I would like to say that i did not know anyone in involved in the avalanche but personally i would not have been able to watch from the bottom knowing someone my be dying. I have taken a couple avy courses in my lifetime and i would recomend every sledder to do the same. My fears are that if i get caught is there anyone around with the knowledge to get me out before its too late. Now for the the events that led up to this mess were ALL completely avoidable. The sledders that were pegged up on the hill, why were there more than one person stuck on that hill at the same time? When the first person was stuck that should have been an indicator that no one else should be trying to poke at that hill, if he needed help someone could have went up to help but the cardinal rule is one at a time! I dont even know what to say about the brainless actions of the turbo nytro rider whom i believe was with the Reddeer Yamaha group. You know who you know who you are, i hope you will read this post. You obiviously have been sledding before in the mountains this is not your first time hense the turboed sled, what kind of hero do you think you are trying to pull a hill like that above a bunch of people you did not even know. Like i said on the hill I would testify against you and your negligent actions if you would have killed someone. You need to stay home! I hope you remember which guy i am and dont come near me or my group ever! If you do i promise you will wish you hadn't. I have been sledding in the mountains now for 12 years and your decision to climb above these guys was the worst i have seen yet! I know there are no laws on the mountain only common sense and you have none. Heck, you almost killed your own woman. She was hit and lost her helmet so you gave her you touque, you are a loser! Stay Home!! You are jepordizing the sport for everyone else. Everyone else sled safe!

Captain-sno

Reaction score

Glad you're all ok :)...we saw you working your way out with your busted up sleds! Perhaps a lesson learned here was also that you shouldn't have been on that section of hill in the first place with the avy warnings that were issued for the area? Just curious if you feel that was a safe decision.
It's tough to be at the mercy of the decisions of others, but could this have been avoided with a better decision made by yourself to start with?

Some peeps are very eager to help on the hill and just don't realize that in this situation they need to sit at the bottom and wait. There were guys going up to help others all over the hill that day....if someone comes up to help waive them off or educate them afterwards of the dangers of doing so.

I've stopped and talked to riders on the hills and asked if they are aware of the avy dangers/ratings for that area...you get the ol 'ya, we know' 'we're prepared' 'we know what we're doing'....only to see them do stupid chit the rest of the day with no probe, no beacon...and no sense. :rant:

I think you hit the nail on the head!!! I basically said the same, maybe not the best place to play. The fellow who's brother was caught sounded like he's had an avy course and he described it as a scary place to ride....knew it was dangerous. He read the hill and sort of knew what was coming (freaking out) as MR NYTRO went zooming up the hill.

The odd thing is the pull....or draw these things have on us. Last year an older gentleman was killed by an avy (very experienced) after having warned his party to stay away, not ride over there and not to attempt to climb that hill....yet later he rode right where he warned everyone not to go and died (sympathies to his family and friends)....A documentary on TV showed the 5 skiers that went for a back country ski trip. (and filmed it all) They talked about the one really bad area, and the guy with a ton of training (avalanche) told them (all on video) not to ski in the one area of the mountain. He pointed to the area and explained all the dangers. Late in the day, on his last run...he skied it himself, exact line he said to avoid and lost his life, and almost one of his buddies.....Is it the untouched snow, the tempting of fate, "it will never happen to me" thing??? Hard to guess. I hopefully will take something from this thread. And I know I sound like a broken record, but thankfully everyone made it out alive.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You're right Tipyoursled...Noone should sit at the bottom of the hill when there is a rescue to happen! It's great you were there to help especially when you have avy knowledge. :d

I'm kinda curious... it's common avy practice to first access the slope and check for any hangfire or potential slope instability before rescue? Did this situation not warrant that? It sounds like guys ran to the rescue before the dust settled and the slope was assessed? Not criticizing anything -it's tough to know what to do in this situation but just curious to know, and to learn from it. :)

It's very important to check for the potential of more avys before attempting rescue, otherwise the situation ends up like last year's avy in Fernie. :(

Reaction score

It took me a long while to calm down after seeing this happen. My assesment of the slope was that almost all of the snow above the debris area had come down, there were however a couple of cornices at the top left hanging. I decided that even if the remainder were to let loose that it would be a minor slide and would not run out near as far as the original avy had. I would say that at least 80% of the above snow had come down. Believe me I would never have gone up to the scene that fast if i had not thought about the possibilities. There was a slight risk that it could come down again but i really expected to be in a rescue situation to save lives of other fellow sledders that again i did not even know. I am so glad that everyone made it out ALIVE. I would be a hypocrite to say that i have never made a bad decision while sledding because i have on numerous occasions, i have however learned from my mistakes and mistakes that others have made around me. Hopefully everyone that was there on Saturday learned some things as well. Last year i almost did myself in at Groundhog in Blue River and a couple of my riding buddies had to dig out some of their group in Frisby last Tuesday. These guys were barried for up to 15 miniutes, unconcious not even breathing! Their sleds are still up there barried. So accidents do happen and people make bad decisions but what i witnessed on Saturday was completely avoidable. I have no doubt that if Turbo Pylon would have waited for the hill to clear before making his pull he would have been able to out run the slide. He was hit too only because he tryed to slow down and warn the upper stuck guys that he had royally f'ed up. Only sledders can make sledding safer!

Reaction score
Website
www.bowcyclesouth.com

[
Great post man, I was riding in your group, (2010 xp with moto bars). After watching the dust settle, you, your brother and "minivan Dan" burned up to help the victums.
The unreal thing about the situation, is when we were all watching what happened, commenting on how sick those turbo's work, and then that dude blew past the 3 stuck victums, but still failed to make it to the top, the second he turned around and headed back down the mountian the whole thing just shattered, we were all like " holy fack", they are all dead.
Two of the guy's are customers at our shop. One of them is my buddies Dad, who is a Grandpa, his sled(2008 xp) is totaled and he's pretty bummed right now. Jim is retired, he cant afford another sled.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

For everyone else - what did you learn?? Did anyone dig a snowpit on this hill to assess the conditions?

Sounds like there were a lot of mistakes made - glad to hear that this story was shared so that others can learn from it.

Biggest take away lesson is:............????

Reaction score
Website
www.bowcyclesouth.com

That bites big time. Nothing is ever totalled though (for sleds anyways), it can always be fixed. Let me know if I can help.

Jim's sled is a write off(totally flatened), I sure he can hillbilly it back to running condition but you know how those typs of fixes turn out.
Next weekend, lets all remember what happend and try to be safe and look out for not just ourselves, but the other guys too.

Reaction score
Website
www.bowcyclesouth.com

We saw the trailer leaving at the end of the day and the sled that was involved is in a gallary on the main page of their website so there is no denying who it was. Also, there is no denying that the rider knew he damaged Jim's sled as the tunnel was completely t-boned from sled to sled impact and the sled was destroyed. For anyone to ride away from this and not take responsibility for their actions is appaling, especially when peoples lives are at stake.

As far as liability goes I would say there is a good argument there - if it would have been trucks in the parking lot or boats on a lake there would be an issue, sleds on the hill is no different. i don't want to sit here and sound off but as a dealer we are supposed to be out there setting the example. it is disappointing to continually see people not take responsibility for their actions simply because they think they can get away with it.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Whoa, easy boys.:nono: The nytro that caused it was riding near the Mountains edge crew but is no way afiliated with them. This is how nasty rumors get started. I personally know the guy that caused it and the whole crew at mountains edge, I will pass it on to the nytro that caused it that there is something that needs to be done.
Please don't start throwing names around without knowing what you are talking about especially dealers names as this sort of thing can cause major reprocusions for a small town dealer.
If you want to talk to the owner of mountains edge rather that bashing him on the net his name is Phil and the dealer number is 638-3885. I'm sure he will be happy to hear from you.

Top Bottom