Quartz creek

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Quarts creek

Yes, that's where this happened.

thanks for the info and all the best to you guys,, eye opener,, I am pretty sure I have been on that slope before, as many have..

ride safe everyone...

power

Reaction score

its petty funny you say you where the only guy on the hill, from what i seen that guy and his group were up there stuck when all you skidoos high marked him and his guys. i seen it happen and that nytro never hit any sleds on the way down and his sled has no damage so how could it have done that much damage to yours and none to his. the nytro you all claim got towed out was blue and its mine and i blew the motor that morning i never made it past the cabin, ended up doubling with polaris and was at bottom of hill when it all happened and seen it all.

4 stroke = power

Reaction score

i know the guy, and i was there and there is no damage to his sled. he feels bad for the events that took place. this is not good whats being said there are several stories being told maybe the people that were their should be talking not everyone else. this was not some adrenaline junkie he is just a normal guy that has a wife and 3 kids. he was out there for a good time. then things went wrong. when we go to the mountains we all know the risks. this was the earliest that we have ever went sledding and were not aware of the avy hazard this time of the year . lots got learned by the events that took place . harsh lesson but well noted . and at the same time he was not the only one on the hill that was climbing above other riders there was the 2 xps that climbed higher than the red and white nytro that was stuck on the hill that they were trying to get unstuck . every body on the hill had done something wrong at 1 point in time or another pointing the blame in one direction is not right nor will it solve anything . he is not connected to mountains edge in sundre so blame should not have ever been sent in thier direction. as for the rest of the stories on here the truth is all that matters . lessons were learned further action will be taken in the future to prevent such situations by all in our group for sure.

buckshot

Reaction score

I still stand by my statement. What he did was wrong, and he should have stopped. If your out driving in an ice storm and get into an accident you had better have insurance too as it could be no ones fault and you'll have to pay for your own repairs. Maybe both people are at fault...

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ok this thread is being watched and if need be will be shut down. Accidents happen everwhere and whos to blame will not be discussed here anymore. Lessons are learnt from these incidents and by now everyone should know about never highmarking a stuck sled or even going and helping them. We all are to carry a shovel we all need to learn how to use it to rescue ourselves when dumbstuck.

The dealers involved have said their parts and now deal with it whatever way you want but not on here. He say she says dont work here.

We are all learning from this so read it and learn.

Thanks

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

its petty funny you say you where the only guy on the hill, from what i seen that guy and his group were up there stuck when all you skidoos high marked him and his guys. i seen it happen and that nytro never hit any sleds on the way down and his sled has no damage so how could it have done that much damage to yours and none to his. the nytro you all claim got towed out was blue and its mine and i blew the motor that morning i never made it past the cabin, ended up doubling with polaris and was at bottom of hill when it all happened and seen it all.

WTF... there was no one up on the hill when my brother went up. The group that was up there were sitting on the first level. Here's a pic of the group that was sitting on the first level. No one was stuck. It was a level area until the slide. How could you tell if the nytro hit anything with the snow that was flying around after it hit my brother we couldn't see anything. Look at the first pic I posted. There is no one stuck on that hill. They were the only ones on the hill at the time.

Attachments

• Avalanche,November 21st 2009 Golden,B.C. 028 (Medium).jpg
    Avalanche,November 21st 2009 Golden,B.C. 028 (Medium).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 61

Captain-sno

Reaction score

Thanks to all that have hopefully made me a safer rider for your input on this thread. Have a safe season all. 1975 is the last year for no Avalanche fatalities in Canada.

Lets make 2009/2010 season another!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

There are lessons here to be learned, and I hope by reviewing some of this thread and all the recent Avalanche activity people ride cautiously, and If you havn't taken an Avalanche course please take one, make sure you do the full day classroom and the full day on the hill. Believe me you learn a lot.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

The thread has been cleaned of the senseless bashing posts, and accusations, but has been reopened, so lessons can be learned.............glad everyone made it out safe...... And yes, we've played on that hill too.........

Last edited:

TheRedDragon

Reaction score

Well, I just want to say that I am a newbie (2-3 years) to the sport, and learn a lot from these kind of threads. I don't make a point of running hills because it doesn't interest me right now, but I believe there is a lot to be learned from other peoples mistakes. I think we can all agree that we as sledders are all in this together. There are a lot of people who want this sport shut down, and we all need to work together to make sure that it does not happen.

I think we educate ourselves by spreading information on the web, taking safety courses, and riding with more experienced riders who help show us the ropes. There are many things that I read online that I can honestly say, I never knew. I think it is very important that we all help each other out. When you see somebody do something unsafe, confront the individual and talk about it. Chances are that person doesn't even know what he did was wrong. There was a time when we were all newbies. Maybe we have been riding for 5 or 10 years, but we all need a reality check from time to time. If somebody approaches us and says "What you did there was unsafe" maybe we should check our pride and think about it a little harder.

Just my two cents. But I just wanted to say that I love this website and think that we can all learn a lot from what is posted on here, because I know I have.

power

Reaction score

WTF... there was no one up on the hill when my brother went up. The group that was up there were sitting on the first level. Here's a pic of the group that was sitting on the first level. No one was stuck. It was a level area until the slide. How could you tell if the nytro hit anything with the snow that was flying around after it hit my brother we couldn't see anything. Look at the first pic I posted. There is no one stuck on that hill. They were the only ones on the hill at the time.

so how could it have hit that xp and not a f-ing thing be worng with that nytro and ya when your bro came up there we were digging out are first sled so dont be putting this all on that other guys cuz your bro did the samething.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

a normal guy that has a wife and 3 kids. he was out there for a good time. then things went wrong. when we go to the mountains we all know the risks. this was the earliest that we have ever went sledding and were not aware of the avy hazard this time of the year . lots got learned by the events that took place . harsh lesson but well noted .

4Stroke, with all due respect, I'm not sure if you really do know the risks...doesn't matter WHEN you go to the mountains you check the avy reports, weather and use your information to determine safe riding areas for that day. We rode that day and I checked 4 sites for weather and avy information before we left that morning. It was very plainly stated that the danger was extremely high due to lots of snow and wind.

This is what I recall from my research that day...to avoid more than 30degrees slopes, NW, N, NE facing slopes were vulnerable to persistant slab avys, windslab avys N/NE slopes, all areas at and above treeline were high for human trigger avys...never mind the standard outcroppings, thin spots and windloading that were on that slope. There wasn't a safe thing about where this was if you use that information. A normal guy with a family and 3 kids...even more reason to know before you go. I'm not sure if you have avy education or not, if you do it wasn't used in this situation or you ignored it, either way I hope it shows others the importance of taking time to not only educate yourself, but to use that knowledge when planning your trip as well as when out riding. If you don't know how to test the snow, then the information can be used to keep you off the most prone areas.

All this blaming about the after effects of this is getting annoying to say the least. The discussion should be about the slope and how to AVOID this in the future, not who did what and who didn't and who's responsible. Knowing who has to pay for the damage isn't going to save any lives. Everyone made bad decisions that was involved in this, except maybe the rescuers. You're all very lucky the harsh lesson didn't result in someone's death but please make sure it doesn't next time either! If someome died in this, noone would give a rats azz about who's sled got damaged and who has to pay!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

so how could it have hit that xp and not a f-ing thing be worng with that nytro and ya when your bro came up there we were digging out are first sled so dont be putting this all on that other guys cuz your bro did the samething.

What part of 'quit throwing blame in this thread' don't you understand ???

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

from the pics looks to be to the left of the cabin. all the way down the valley to the park signs, facing down the valley past the signs look to your right and that face. but thats just a guess i dont usually ride quarts but was there weekend before this happened and thats where it looks like it is. that was a lot of snow that came down.

iam VERY glad to hear that everyone walked away from this!

yes that is the place. lots of snow falling in short period of time, with no set up time, not the best day to highmark at all.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What part of 'quit throwing blame in this thread' don't you understand ???

AGREED. THE Administrator OF THE SITE, AND TWO OTHER MODS CAME IN HERE CLEANED IT UP AND RE OPENED IT SO PPL CAN LEARN FROM THE MISTAKES WITH THIS THREAD.

ILL SAY THE PUBLICLY BLAMING PPL CAN BE A BAD THING. SO LETS JUST I DONO PM PPL, CALL PPL AND FIGURE OUT THIS SITUATION. AND JUST GROW UP NOW. WE ARE ALL ADULTS NOT 12 YEAROLD SCHOOL GIRLS. EVERYTHING WILL BE FIGURED OUT WITH THE SITUATION

lets get the "quarts creek" thread back to the quarts creek topic not arguing still. before this gets way to outa hand!!

Captain-sno

Reaction score

Power, we see your new here and are only on your 2nd post...The Moderators and Admin have clearly stated they did not want the post to go in the direction your going. Your post is after their statements.

You obviously have inside information on the sled and the rider....thats great, but at this point they have asked to stop the banter on the blame game.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I hope this is my last post in this thread :)
The overall outcome was a result of many mistakes. The group of sleds I tried to show were not actually on the incline of the hill, just in the run-out.
This is what I saw from the bottom and hopefully will help people in the future.

Attachments

• golden avy - nov 21 diagram.jpg
    golden avy - nov 21 diagram.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 64

fox68sd

Reaction score

this link is supposed 2 educate sledders ,the nytro and the other sledders on the hill know what happened that day and if certain people think that i caused this avalanche then they did not learn anything and GOD HELP US ALL WHEN THERE ON THE HILL

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

OK like was stated last night this thread is being watched to see conflict and bashing and blame chasing.
Now mac900rmk that is a good image of the slide. Lets us this info for learning purposes only

Thanks carry on with the Quarts Creek riding area now.

Top Bottom