Quad Gear...more specifically clothes!!!

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I am curious what everyone else is wearing while out in the bush with reference to mud protection? I started wearing just an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt but got the stink eye from the wife when I returned with 1/2 of Kananaskis splattered all over me. From here I decided to wear my coveralls and my motocross boots.....well I got a worst look and was told I need to figure out something else quick!!!

So, I am now considering my various options.....

1. Full Chest Waders - Likely the best option for cleanup however the thought of being 3/4 wrapped in rubber in mid August is not that appealing to me though. Anyone else wear them....if so, what are your thoughts/advantages/disadvantages?

2. Hip Waders - Will still get covered from the waist up and still have to wear Jeans underneath.

3. Light Rain Gear - Possibly not as hot as chest waders but will it offer the same protection overall?

Any other ideas I am maybe not aware of???

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hip waders you will be dying of heat. I used to wear rain pants all the time but now only when really wet. Most of the time jeans or something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chest waders for Alberta riding, yes u get some wet build up, but ur clean, no dirt in the toes

For other riding now, biking gear ect

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear motocross pants over the boot style they are water resistant and have vents you can open when it's hot then when your done just hose them off with a garden hose not real cheep just under $200.00 but work great.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear motocross pants over the boot style they are water resistant and have vents you can open when it's hot then when your done just hose them off with a garden hose not real cheep just under $200.00 but work great.
Me too. You could also get better waders that breathe a little like simms or redington but pretty pricey as well.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys.....in the end I am still not sure what to do. I did not think of the motor cross pants but was not looking to spend that much but that may change. I may try some light rain gear but ultimately I am looking for something I can spray off with the pressure washer and forget it until next time.

Reaction score
pretty simple answer.

the only proper attire for riding a quad in alberta is your company coveralls. anything else is cheating.

if its too cold, swing by peavy mart and get a dickies lumberjack coat.

Reactions: DRD

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear a pair of rubberized rain pants over jeans, a pair of muck chore boots and duct tape the cuffs of the pants to the boots. hoodie or hockey jersey on top

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
pretty simple answer.

the only proper attire for riding a quad in alberta is your company coveralls. anything else is cheating.

if its too cold, swing by peavy mart and get a dickies lumberjack coat.

That would be a flight suit.....nomex would be far hotter than chest waiters!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
I wear a pair of rubberized rain pants over jeans, a pair of muck chore boots and duct tape the cuffs of the pants to the boots. hoodie or hockey jersey on top

I think I may try this option first as I can just pressure wash them off at the end of the day

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually wear my rain gear when its wet out (hi vis) but word of warning you will hear "well we'll never lose ya..." atleast 15 times a ride

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeans 2 pairs then hose one off put clean on and alternate hang to dri in Barage!!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to wear rain pants but got tired of replacing them every few rides. In the end, I found it was way cheeper to get a pair of riding pants. I'm using can-am Team Pants which I'm liking and they were only about $130. They do have a water resistant stretch panel at the crotch that I find lets in a little water when I'm really playing hard, but they keep my dry otherwise.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wear my older Carhart bib coveralls. Hang over the fence and spray them off, hang dry. Yes they get washed when they're getting grubby. Not much fun on a hot summer day, shorts and t shirt then.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crocs and shorts

or muck boots and nylon track pants.

Depends on the weather

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wear over the boots riding pants and jersey, really wet times i have a good set of rain gear. Don't cheep out when it comes to rain gear my gear has taken a beating through the bush and has held up with no marks or tears. Good thing with the over teh boot riding pants is most of them convert to shorts on super hot days. Watch your local buy and sells you can always find a good pair cheep. I have 2 sets paid $50 for one set brand new retailed for around $200 the the set was $40 retailed for over $300.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thor and fox make a nice waterproof and breathable riding pant... over the boots which are very nice... then on top a T shirt or a moisture wicking undershirt and a mx jersey... for when it rains you take along a breathable waterproof thin shell that you can wear when it starts to rain... many manufacturers make a thin shell that is waterproof and breathable...

rens27

Reaction score
Military surplus rain gear and good quality rubber boots with a t-shirt and shorts underneath. Pressure wash all of the rain gear off at the end of the ride.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the thing is rain gear does not breath .. so you bast in your own juices... not a nice feeling... everyone opens there wallet when it comes to a machine but when it comes to good WATERPROOF BREATHABLE clothing... then everyone counts there pennies... lol

rubber boots is the only thing that i wear that is not breathable cause wearing mx style boots is not the thing for quad pleasure riding and no one makes a good high breathable boot like a quality rubber boot...
there are boots for winter that have a gore tex breathable membrane but for summer they are too heavy...

Last edited:
Top Bottom