Cheap sled trailer items everyone needs

Marmot MB

Reaction score
Hi all, I spent the weekend pimpin out a new trailer I bought and thought I would share some economical options I found when trimming it out.

For the Carbide protection of the deck I found grooved hard plastic pieces as Princess Auto 10" wide by 60" long for $14.pp a piece. Way better than $114 for 20 FT of sled deck stuff also for sale there. I did take the last 4 pieces from the west Edmonton branch but I am sure other stores have it still.

For traction up my metal rear gate and on the wood deck I was a bit lost on how to cheaply find something simple. As I walked in the door at Home Depot I saw Stair traction mats made of rubber.... 12" wide by 36" long for $12.95. I cut them up to 1-1/4" wide X 18" long for 12 pieces. then used 5/16" wood lag screws with large washers to secure to deck and bolt and nut with double washer on expanded metal of the rear gate. Yes this rubber was a pain in the ass to cut with a jig saw, but it was dicey using the skill saw and was melting to the blade. took about 20 minutes of cutting no big deal.

I put 3/4" ply wood on the front as rock guard and 1/2 " tucked into the sides to stop the road Schmag hitting the sled, left the rear open to perhaps help with wind flow and un-neccasary surface area in big cross winds etc... then used black wood stain X 2 coats to protect it.

Still going to try and wire in some reverse lights connected to vehicle reverse, and some LED strips inside the side panels with a switch for loading unloading.

So in all I think for pretty low cost it turned out pretty well. scooped the trailer 12 Ft x 5 FT for $1000 with winter tires new, new wiring, lights, chains, and in Minty Minty shape. then a few more bucks to make a killer sled trailer.

• Thanks
Reactions: css

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I would add 2 more screws to the traction cleats. Might want to cut down the 3/4 ply on front. Looks a little high unsupported.:beer:

Marmot MB

Reaction score
Good Eye ! two more screws were on the agenda having the end of day beer once I was finished and realized, yup probably first time I load those are going to get CRANKED !. Front Rock guard: I need to go to work to fab a "L" Bracket on each side, with a angled stiffner welded in.

This was really a skill testing post.... you passed :)

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you planning to put plastic on the ramp? I can't see carbides and metal ramp getting along.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice.. the only thing i don't see is a spare tire.

Marmot MB

Reaction score
Hi all, I though about some protection on the metal rear gate from the carbides, I have loaded the sled a couple of times and it doesn't seem to hang up or catch badly. I bought 1/2" plywood for this and can easily replace it if and when needed. I could buy one more 10" X 60" piece of the grooved track, cut it in half and have 30" coverage also.

However my thoughts were I don't want a lot of surface area on that rear gate catching wind / snow etc.. on the highway and thought I would run it without for a bit.

You are correct no spare tire yet..... Have sourced a used rim, and a used tire (weird size 185/70/R14) I have bought the spare tire mounting already. Nice Catch !

I also have a checker plate truck box that I may mount on the front tongue for Fuel, straps, cover storage etc.... and I may just put my spare and a floor jack in there.

Ran into a snag on this trailer... it did not have a VIN. It was previously registered in Ontario with some weird (file-11111111) number, which in AB is absolutely useless. So I had to make application to Alberta VIN registry, $100 and awaiting inspector to contact me to come view the trailer and assign a VIN number to it.

Still at $1000 a bit of my time and some extra's I think it will make a really great single sled trailer.

Top Bottom