Trailer Ramp Traction

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Costs are starting to pile up for me. I found a cheap 16ft long 7foot wide enclosed trailer i can use this year but its bare bones. i got a pack of superglides from long ago but its not enough. Will be putting one sled in front and one in backwards. trying to think of some cheap cheap traction for the ramp to make backing it in easier and not doing too much damage to the floor of the trailer.

I have a buddy that suggested old tracks but I dont see how that would be very good. I thought of putting on some wood runners so the track would grab them but I think they would just get ripped out. I dont really want to spend anymore money but I do now the superclamp products have the traction.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can try getting some uhmw or similar plastics cut at Redwood Plastics. They have different plastics, sizes, thicknesses and will cut to your specification. As an option.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want some uhmw i could maybe set you up, tell me how wide and long and i will check the tickle trunk. As far as traction bet someone has a track they were planning to throw out

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry I have never used that material before would you use them as ski runners like to protect against the skegs? Ive never actually owned a trailer before ive always done the sled in the back of the truck but ive finally found some guys that will ride and not bail on me now.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry I have never used that material before would you use them as ski runners like to protect against the skegs? Ive never actually owned a trailer before ive always done the sled in the back of the truck but ive finally found some guys that will ride and not bail on me now.
I’ve ran ski slippers on my sleds to protect the floor from the carbides. Then I got really tired of using them, so I started to buy skegs without carbides. in The last 3 years, my floor still looks the same.
Are You looking for skeg protection or track grabbers?

Randi Morgan

Reaction score
uhmw might be too slippery, a friend had a flatdeck trailer years ago with it and my sled slid right off of it there was no raised lip to keep it on the deck. I would be hesitant

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its a double whammy. i want to protect the floor against the skis but I also need traction. more so when i have to reverse the one sled up the ramp rather than the first sled going in forwards.. i dont want to "juice" the sled backing up to get it loaded and hit the other sled in the process

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheap way to do it is to find a ribbed boxliner and cut it into sections. I think I paid 20 bucks for 3 full size truck boxes from a pick and pull. Cut it into strips and use it to keep the skis from digging into the material. Few strips sideways with some decent screws would probably give you enough traction. Honestly sleds hate going backwards up ramps, everytime ive done it you still have to pull them backwards while being in reverse. Normally the flaps get caught and stuff anyways. The track would probably be better in this case.

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a deck over enclosed. So the ramp angle sucks. I have superglides only on the ramps. 2x2 runners for track traction. Works quit well. I did have one of the runners rip off. That was from a 174 that didn't enter without any momentum. And due to the ramp angle was only touching on the one runner for traction. I cut 1/4" plywood for where the carbides run inside the trailer. This setup has worked well for me for 5 seasons.

We have backed in a few sleds without issue but was more work.

My next trailer will be a mid deck with shallow internal wheel wells. Which would change my ramp angle alot.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my trailer I couldn't get a sled on it. Had a old track and a box liner. Now it works great
IMG_20211025_100927.jpg

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
box liner for the skis, and some 1/4" or 1/2" strips for the track to hook on. 3 screws per and mine haven't ripped out...ever. I just used grip tape between, works great. or get an old flat track like Lucky did or a piece of conveyor but just know that if you catch a ski on the track / belt, you are going over the bars.

Top Bottom