quad front tire rollover

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow how can a seemingly innocent post get so far out of hand, anyway, just lookin for ideas on suspension set up, zingers are ok, just lets not get mad or nasty. it is a new day, be happy, ask questions, give an opinion, but play nice.

i'm going to try out the articles suggestions, may or may not work, may be manufactures inherant design, that is what tinkering is all about.

if you tried something and it didn't work or it made some improvement please let us know, that is the only intent of the post/thread

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 7.5 psi in my 30" Zillas otherwise I had crap in the bead every 10 min. With 7.5 psi I only got crap in the bead every ride. Yes...soft sidewalls. Not gonna handle well.

And it's anecdote....not antidote....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 7.5 psi in my 30" Zillas otherwise I had crap in the bead every 10 min. With 7.5 psi I only got crap in the bead every ride. Yes...soft sidewalls. Not gonna handle well.

And it's anecdote....not antidote....

thanks dave hehe, it's my edumaction showing up again, hehe. i'm thinking a little more tire pressure may help also. thanks.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, you have to work with what you have... who cares about better geometry, adjustable shocks etc... you have what you have and are only trying to make it ride better....
so this is what i think you should try.. No.1 is, yes the zilla's have tire roll as Dave said.... to eliminate that as much as you can i would run about 7.5 lbs of air in each tire..
try 7 or 8 if you wish...see if it improves it or not... but start with 7.5

then you have standard shocks.. no sag to set on these ...only stiffin and soften is available... you dont want your fronts to be to soft either.. when braking hard, especially in corners, lots of
front end dive is dangerous...so see what you like best to mininize this... i would think that a middle setting might be best here..

if you want to run front and rear shocks different then i would suggest having the front shocks set a bit harder and the rear a notch less or softer... with less tire roll and less dive in corners the machine should handle better......dive and tire roll are two of the most common things that wreck handling and cornering...then of course there are a few other things but in your case those are fixed and cant be helped, so we have to work with the above...
i mean you have only tires to play with and a harder or softer setting on your shocks... all other varibles are fixed and i dont think you want to change any of those, i mean its a mud bike, not a gncc racer...

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly!!!! Will try it out. Was the way i was thinking also but this guys thread info says i may be wrong? I need to get off the butt and try a few adjustments, he may be fill of crap, but it sure sounds interesting Thanx

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
... i would suggest having the front shocks set a bit harder and the rear a notch less or softer... with less tire roll and less dive in corners the machine should handle better......
That sounds intuitive to me but is exactly the opposite of what DoorFX's resource suggested uless Larry accidentally quoted the info backwards.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That machine is tall and top heavy...it was purpose built for the mud.... no amount of tinkering and settings and air pressures will make it a rocket on rails. They'll fall over in the corners, but work well in the holes and straights. I've had a couple AC 700's...they are what they are. I've had lots of Zillas...they, too, are what they are. Just slow down in the corners, and catch up to the others in the mud. I've ridden lots with you....you should worry less about tinkering with the front suspension, and learn how to use your damn GPS. lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, gooder ur right and find someway not to fall off. Yes i'm kind of a get on and forget it type, looks like miller time , see beer clouds to the north.
Thanks for the comments and info

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mabe Larry should get a Honda with the GPS built in.

It will ride good around holes and can find his way back Mabe.

sent from my I phone azz kicking HTC

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I'm reading it is grabbing ruts rocks etc. and pulling the bars, correct? This sounds more like steering geometry than suspension to me. More tire pressure will help a little but I would say your best solution would be a steering stabilizer our power steering.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly andy, seems like the front tire is folding then grabbing and leads to a high side. Stabilizer may be the solution, all i know my hip says no more. Lol

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell them all and get a roll cage. They are tuff, I know this.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Larry get a sxs. And put wooden wheels on it problem solved and will have fire wood with you when you get lost.
Or you get wet can make a fire.
Stop in we can discuss over beer
I haven't pushed anyone out of the trailer for a while

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO, ya think your big kitty handles bad?? Holy hell try my old beast! I don't really "hold" onto my handlebars, but rather "hang" arms on them...No joking NOT kidding! I increase my grip when on fully flat surfaces, but if there are ruts I let the quad go where it wants, if I am carrying any kind of speed at all...crawling along I have a vice grip on the bars or it'll go where DON'T want it to go. Bump steer...Handlebar whip (which it seems your describing in your OP) is the biggest reason I don't "grip" my grips! Horrible geometry and I have NO suspension setting....it is what it is! Keep contemplating wheel spacers (rear tires only) and lift kit, but may make it worse...or wheel spacers on the back alone, too cheap to try if it doesn't work!

But hey I am never sore after riding, I like my ride quality, probably the simplest machine in ANY group ride, AND I can fix the beast myself rather cheaply!

A mudpro is NOT a supercar, nor a sportscar, it's a big azz lumbering powerwagon that's built to plow through the mud and the muck....which you already know!!

Have fun and good luck figuring out your suspension woes....oh and be safe! :beer::cool:

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So... not bashing here but.... Perhaps rzrgade has a point??? Sounds like steering geometry, in big business safety we call that an engineered problem. Just say'n.

Top Bottom