prince george sledders take a hit on global bc this morning

BOONDOCKINDAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody see this this morning?? global was reporting severe non compliance with caribou closures in the area. sounds like the ministry is pretty pissed!!!

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did see this.... do you know what area they are talking about? Is it a closed area??

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All those wolves going up on the sled tracks into the high country. I must be blind i have never seen a wolf or a track up there... wtf are those guys seeing.

Titan

Reaction score
Although not to this area specifically, I'm heading to PG tomorrow for some sledding.
I really wonder if this was intentional or if these guys just were not aware of the area closure.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
Although not to this area specifically, I'm heading to PG tomorrow for some sledding.
I really wonder if this was intentional or if these guys just were not aware of the area closure.

I know that our closure areas (McBride) have signs posted, and I'm sure that the Prince George area has them posted as well. People choose to ignore them. The conservation officers have advised us that they will be starting to police these areas more, and the tickets can be huge, with possible seizure of your vehicles and sleds. Be aware of closures in the areas you are sledding in. Each area was also given maps of the closures. Our local sled shop has them as well as the snowmobile club. The maps were also posted at the hotels here in McBride. We haven't had very many problems with people going into our caribou closure areas. Just the odd group that thinks they know better than everyone else.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our area (Cranbrook/Kimberley) the areas were well signed and most people are well aware of the closures. That being said there will always be some people that think they are above the laws and ruin it for everone else.
It is about time the Ministry started to enforce the regulations and then maybe we can get some voluntary compliance everywhere else otherwise the green whackos will just lobby for bigger closures to protect the actual area the animals need.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Warnings? that is crap, they threaten big fines and then do nothing, same here in Revy, slap some of these guys big $$$ and that word will spread on here and THAT will make people listen. Warnings do nothing......

I do not like the clousures but have to live with them.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw this on the news as well. It is really too bad that a few sledders would like to ruin things for the majority of sledders that abide by these closures. In 2009 the MOE did take away some of the finest riding that we had, unfortunately. We are left with a very small fraction of our former areas. While we can b*tch and whine about the closures, it's the law and any ethical sledder knows this. These closed areas are clearly marked on the maps. There are also signs posted. Fish and Wildlife - Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia

I am a member of the PG Club and these areas have been closed for a few seasons now. It's not a matter of these people not knowing that the closures are there, it's simply that they don't care. These people are more than likely not part of the PGSC and don't contribute to our sport in any way, and are also usually the ones responsible for vandalizing our cabins and leaving their fawking garbage behind.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to bet that is the torpy, tv trama at its best, of coarse there are 3 torpy's with only one of them open to snowmobiling. The good thing about the torphy being open to snowmobiling is that it is the only place i have ever seen caribou in the pg area. These caribou have not read the reports that they are suppose to be scared of sledders and moved to other areas, this will be the only way of proving the reports to be falsely written with some other agenda behind them. Now i have ridden almost all the mountains around pg over the years, but with all the avalanche deaths i have quite riding above the tree lines about 2 years ago, besides as everyone from pg knows breaking trails into the mountains around here is brutal to say the least.

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to bet that is the torphy, tv trama at its best, of coarse there are 3 torphy's with only one of them open to snowmobiling. The good thing about the torphy being open to snowmobiling is that it is the only place i have ever seen caribou in the pg area. These caribou have not read the reports that they are suppose to be scared of sledders and moved to other areas, this will be the only way of proving the reports to be falsely written with some other agenda behind them. Now i have ridden almost all the mountains around pg over the years, but with all the avalanche deaths i have quite riding above the tree lines about 2 years ago, besides as everyone from pg knows breaking trails into the mountains around here is brutal to say the least.

Um. What?

Kranked

Reaction score
I am going to bet that is the torphy, tv trama at its best, of coarse there are 3 torphy's with only one of them open to snowmobiling. The good thing about the torphy being open to snowmobiling is that it is the only place i have ever seen caribou in the pg area. These caribou have not read the reports that they are suppose to be scared of sledders and moved to other areas, this will be the only way of proving the reports to be falsely written with some other agenda behind them. Now i have ridden almost all the mountains around pg over the years, but with all the avalanche deaths i have quite riding above the tree lines about 2 years ago, besides as everyone from pg knows breaking trails into the mountains around here is brutal to say the least.

Torphy? 3 torphys? That's too many torphys.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guessing it would be confusing for an alberta guy. You have to look passed those sled tracks and off into the distance where the logging slashes are. It gives you an idea where this tv video was shot from.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kranked your from pg and have not road all 3 torpy's.. what the heck. Of coarse you can't now

Last edited:
Top Bottom