British Columbia and the future of sledding needs your help

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading the op and the above one and I'm confused if it's a show of support that is needed to bring to the table to show how many people the BCSF is representing and how big of an issue it is or do they just need financial support to fight for the cause-no matter where it were to come from. Donation, membership fees, trail passes, etc.

If the biggest part is just a headcount to show how many people their decisions affect and how many people they actually represent the trail pass and membership with its purchase would work.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Exactly a trail pass should = a membership.

I had no idea it worked this way otherwise I would have bought a membership a long time ago.

I just enjoy riding alot of different areas so I never have. And I spent way more in trail fees at Valemount last year than a seasons pass was worth anyways, but I figured it was good for the club. Pay to play so to speak.

But if this is the case to keep the riding areas open, no one should be able to set foot in the staging area without being a member.

If you can afford gas for the sled, then a membership is a no brainer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it worked that way then the same guy riding in Valemount 10 days a year on trail passes would count as 10 members. Obviously that's not going to fly with the gov't as far as membership.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This only supports the idea of members only access to areas with closures and restrictions. Allows the club to express to the gov that they can self police by removing access permission via voiding of membership if someone violates club policies / regulations by breaking the rules.

In Cranbrook we had this "permit system" idea put forward to us by government several times while negotiating closures. We didn't then, nor do we now support this in any way. It's just another tactic to try to get us fighting each other instead of the real enemy. Unfortunately there are some clubs.....well, if not outright supporting it, at least using this system for some areas. Very unfortunate direction to be going in my opinion.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it worked that way then the same guy riding in Valemount 10 days a year on trail passes would count as 10 members. Obviously that's not going to fly with the gov't as far as membership.
Give him a membership number via sticker or whatever for the first trail pass he buys and then every other ride he shows the number.
I'm not sure how much if anything the BCSF collects from individual clubs but this could be one way for them to generate revenue. Take a portion of every membership number issued.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much if anything the BCSF collects from individual clubs but this could be one way for them to generate revenue. Take a portion of every membership number issued.

$26 dollars per club member. Nothing on day passes.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Give him a membership number via sticker or whatever for the first trail pass he buys and then every other ride he shows the number.

If membership grew, the BCSF would be able to increase programs with that added income. At present the BCSF has balanced books and stays on budget. Sure would be nice to see membership double. As stated a couple times, $26 goes toward the BCSF from club memberships. Day passes, grooming fees, trail passes or whatever you want to call it, all stays with the club. Like I said before, no club has a surplus of money and increasing fees is like pulling hen's teeth. People just don't get it, that it costs to keep areas open, maintain the infrastructure, and organize a well run snowmobiling area.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya.
What I'm suggesting is for representation purposes and a little revenue. Charge a mandatory one time per year additional fee of say $5 or something when you buy a trail pass. What comes with it is a BCSF membership. I guarantee they would get more revenue from all the one or two times a year riders than just having a membership fee that currently only comes from club members.

Then the ones who don't necessarily get the BCSF membership because not everyone is aware of these closure issues or on social media contribute to the cause. Or they feel why should I, I only ride twice a year.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can be frustrating for sure. Some don't realize exactly how much a snowmobile club does until lands are taken away. We are now united, and for that I am thankful.
We have a stronger more unified voice, and one organization helping us all work together.
I was pretty sick last year, in and out of the hospital, but I still tried to keep on top of our local club's needs. When someone says to me, I don't have time as Mary Sunshine ish as I am I still have to resist the urge to rip out their jugular. Not have time.. gahhh.. 4 kids 3 jobs, Prez of our local club and involved with ample out reach events.
Memberships matter as do volunteer hours. Do you know how relieved a club executive would be if you said, What can I do?... Even if it was an hour. A day, or a season any help is appreciated.
With Membership a sure way to implode a club is by lowering membership fees. We are on a shoestring budget as it is with little if any excess to go around. It takes every dollar to be able to give back to the sport we love. sometimes it's grooming, sometimes it is being able to pitch in gas or a plane ticket to an important land preservation meeting. Sometimes it is affording things such as a transciever park, employees to help with club duties (face it, sometimes a paid employee will have more commitment than a volunteer) or perhaps a safety class.
I had my socks knocked off last night. I'm pretty active on social media and a resident in Idaho who rides our pass reached out wanting to support the club and the area they ride in!!! That is a HUGE deal for us here. To know people from outside our country see how valuable our area is, and are willing to buy memberships really lets me know we are on the right path. For the local who tells me he was born here and will ride wherever the @##@ he wants... well.. you know how I feel about that. That s why Wine was invented.
12208408_10153269393151794_2602774011463345086_n.jpg

1474589_10151855342232993_616791688_n.jpg

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya.
What I'm suggesting is for representation purposes and a little revenue. Charge a mandatory one time per year additional fee of say $5 or something when you buy a trail pass. What comes with it is a BCSF membership. I guarantee they would get more revenue from all the one or two times a year riders than just having a membership fee that currently only comes from club members.

Then the ones who don't necessarily get the BCSF membership because not everyone is aware of these closure issues or on social media contribute to the cause. Or they feel why should I, I only ride twice a year.

I agree 100%, the clubs need to get together on this. You should not be able to purchase a trail pass anywhere without first being a BCSF card carrying member.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive been working at the snowmobile show for a few years now. in the last 3 years i have sold maybe 3-5 standalone club memberships. sold many seasons passes which does include the 26$ bcsf membership. 100% of those people obviously plan to ride this particular area to make their seasons pass worth the $. but 75% (random guess) of the other people that i talk to did not want to spend that money on a seasons pass because they did not know whether they would get out that much in that particular area to justify the seasons pass. Fair enough makes complete sense but to those people i say please buy a membership for ANY club in BC. if your not a seasons pass holder somewhere bottom line is you need to be at a minimum a club member for us to survive as a sport. if you can afford to snowmobile you can afford the 30$ to belong to any of the BC snowmobile clubs regardless of any perks or incentives which is a very common question. Well heres your incentive you get to keep your riding areas. good enough? i dont know? maybe we could give out maps of all the areas we USED to be able to ride in and provide a map of the future if you dont start being proactive with your precious 30$. we are a growing sport in a shrinking playing field which leads people to break boundaries.

and they make it so hard now adays too. couple clicks and done. dont even have to leave your house. like my premium tinder account costs more money and sledding gives me way more enjoyment than that.

Home - BC Snowmobile Federation

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%, the clubs need to get together on this. You should not be able to purchase a trail pass anywhere without first being a BCSF card carrying member.

That would be illegal, and probably unconstitutional. Contrary to what many people may think, management agreements don't give clubs exclusive access to crown land. They only give us the right to charge a user fee for improvements the club has made to that crown land, ie: grooming. Government is pretty specific about what we can and can't do. That would, and should, definately be a no-go.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be illegal, and probably unconstitutional. Contrary to what many people may think, management agreements don't give clubs exclusive access to crown land. They only give us the right to charge a user fee for improvements the club has made to that crown land, ie: grooming. Government is pretty specific about what we can and can't do. That would, and should, definately be a no-go.
Well I guess a guy just has to enjoy the managed areas while they last.........

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it is the members internally that can cause a club some undo stress and lack of oomph.

"we don't need no stinkin groomer. I don't ride groomed trails so why should my membership go up"... really. A grooming program is a vital and crucial implement for any club! It helps stimulate new membership growth. Creates a family friendly option for those who simply want to trail ride to get out and enjoy nature. Senior riders who simply want to get out I found especially appreciate this option, as do families with small children wanting to do a little tobogganing in the back country. Groomed trails help to create a solid presence and solidify relationships with other user groups. A grooming operation can create a revenue source for a club. The list goes on.

"We should lower rates".. really.. lower rates to then what? Not be able to keep a viable club afloat which eventually implodes? Been there done that. Clubs need dollars fact! Lowering rates will not stimulate the tight wads into buying a membership. It was said before. I've seen people who will deck out their stock snowmobile or snowmobiles with bling and accessories yet will not pay for a 75.00 membership to preserve their ride area. It's not the money it's the mind set.

"young people are hooligans". Young people are vital for their zest, passion and connection to the latest happenings in the sport of snowmobiling. We need younger people to help create a club with a strong foundation.

"Those old farts should just quit". We need the seasoned club members for their knowledge base, determination and experience.

"I'm always doing everything while those people do nothing". There is nothing more toxic than the resentful volunteer. Yes, sometimes it is the same 10 people that are always lending a hand, but don't for one moment feel so superior that you feel the club will die without your help. If you can't do it with a smile and the knowing that you are contributing to the future of snowmobiling, dont' do it!

"I don't have time"... As I've stated before.. seriously preaching to the choir. I have 4 kids 3 jobs and make time, as do many of our other hard working volunteers. It only takes a little bit of time and effort to make a difference. Everyone can sacrifice a little bit of time. For that little bit will go a long way.

"I was born here! I shouldn't have to pay to ride my land".. really your land... so are you maintaining your land? Are you providing the up keep and government relations to be able to use the lands for motorized recreation legally?.. no? Ok then support your local club.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just reading this for a second time....

So a snowmobile club like revy couldn't say that as a prerequisite to someone purchasing a trail pass they must hold a $30 BCSF membership??

How is that illegal?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it is the members internally that can cause a club some undo stress and lack of oomph.

"we don't need no stinkin groomer. I don't ride groomed trails so why should my membership go up"... really. A grooming program is a vital and crucial implement for any club! It helps stimulate new membership growth. Creates a family friendly option for those who simply want to trail ride to get out and enjoy nature. Senior riders who simply want to get out I found especially appreciate this option, as do families with small children wanting to do a little tobogganing in the back country. Groomed trails help to create a solid presence and solidify relationships with other user groups. A grooming operation can create a revenue source for a club. The list goes on.

"We should lower rates".. really.. lower rates to then what? Not be able to keep a viable club afloat which eventually implodes? Been there done that. Clubs need dollars fact! Lowering rates will not stimulate the tight wads into buying a membership. It was said before. I've seen people who will deck out their stock snowmobile or snowmobiles with bling and accessories yet will not pay for a 75.00 membership to preserve their ride area. It's not the money it's the mind set.

"young people are hooligans". Young people are vital for their zest, passion and connection to the latest happenings in the sport of snowmobiling. We need younger people to help create a club with a strong foundation.

"Those old farts should just quit". We need the seasoned club members for their knowledge base, determination and experience.

"I'm always doing everything while those people do nothing". There is nothing more toxic than the resentful volunteer. Yes, sometimes it is the same 10 people that are always lending a hand, but don't for one moment feel so superior that you feel the club will die without your help. If you can't do it with a smile and the knowing that you are contributing to the future of snowmobiling, dont' do it!

"I don't have time"... As I've stated before.. seriously preaching to the choir. I have 4 kids 3 jobs and make time, as do many of our other hard working volunteers. It only takes a little bit of time and effort to make a difference. Everyone can sacrifice a little bit of time. For that little bit will go a long way.

"I was born here! I shouldn't have to pay to ride my land".. really your land... so are you maintaining your land? Are you providing the up keep and government relations to be able to use the lands for motorized recreation legally?.. no? Ok then support your local club.
Coming from a Skiing/Snowboarding background the rates one is what really blows my mind.

Take my wife skiing still all the time to places like Revy and kicking horse. Lift tickets are right around $100 bucks a pass and the hills are busy as ever. And the passes are were around $50 not even ten years ago.

The fun to money ratio for a trail pass is insane.

Would easily pay the price of a lift ticket for a trail pass every time and smile about.

In my opinion I doubt the user base would suffer at all. And the ones you do lose, probably weren't members you want in the first place because it seems to me they are the most selfish ones in the snowmobile community.

Top Bottom