British Columbia and the future of sledding needs your help

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took the time to thoroughly read the press releases. Valhalla release seemed to be more opinion based despite an attempt to make scientific reference. BCSF release was very well written and more detailed. Well done!

I also sent Mr. Pettitt some fact based information.

Terrace

Reaction score
Why not make it mandatory to buy a club membership in order to buy a trail pass. Then once you have a club membership you get a discount on the trail passes for the rest of the year. Say $5 off.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Out of whatever a BCSF club charges for membership (some clubs have a $100 membership, some are quite a bit more for various reasons, some are less) $26 (and maybe some change) comes out of that and goes to the BCSF. That goes into operating money for the BCSF. If a BCSF member joins another BCSF club, then the price can be lowered by the $26 as that member has already paid the BCSF membership.

Most clubs include the grooming fees in the membership fee. So if you are a member of a club where you ride their groomed trails, you do not need to pay the daily grooming fee.

The fight for caribou closures is well documented. The Ministry of Environment are now vigorously adding goats, sheep, and grizzly bear to the "species of convenience" to close motorized areas. Here is a quote, "too many people with motorized access are gathering too many huckleberries and the bears are suffering." Land use is a costly battle, so if you are reading this and ride in beautiful BC, please buy a membership and support an organization that will support you.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's the percentage from pass??

And why are all the other clubs not asking too then??

Buddy See's it at a cash grab, as he pays for a few passes Evey year

And not saying Valemount is doing this, but there's enough cash grabs nowadays allready

The way I see it is a daypass covers the cost of your day ie. the grooming of the trail, parking lot plowing, and cabin maintenance. It is the absolute bare bones and if you want to support the club buy a membership.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I buy my AB trail pass and Alberta Beach Club membership every year.

I buy my VARDA membership every year

I pay my Daily Trail fees (BC) for whichever area I am riding in.

Our AB Beach Membership fee is only $10 and I've been asking why we can't waive that fee altogether, the $10 provides very little revenue however even though it's only $10 it is passed on by 75% of our trail pass purchasers. I think we would be better off with higher membership #'s and lower revenue, the majority of our revenue comes from trail pass purchases and volunteer fundraising.

It blows my mind how many folks are more than willing to spend bucket loads of cash on machines/fuel/parts/decks/trailers/gear/booze/hotels to the tune of $500+ daily but a $10/20/30 membership is so offensive.

Last edited:

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy my AB trail pass and Alberta Beach Club membership every year.

I buy my VARDA membership every year

I pay my Daily Trail fees (BC) for whichever area I am riding in.

Our AB Beach Membership fee is only $10 and I've been asking why we can't waive that fee altogether, the $10 provides very little revenue however even though it's only $10 it is passed on by 75% of our trail pass purchasers. I think we would be better off with higher membership #'s and lower revenue, the majority of our revenue comes from trail pass purchases and volunteer fundraising.

It blows my mind how many folks are more than willing to spend bucket loads of cash on machines/fuel/parts/decks/trailers/gear/booze/hotels to the tune of $500+ daily but a $10/20/30 membership is so offensive.

I hear what your saying I agree but this is the way people are now a days... We can't change it.. But why can't we say instance To be a revelstoke member, just a member no privileges it's $30. You still pay your trail fee and everything but this way your counted and its some money. Let's face it 80% of the peeps coming out riding only make it a couple times a year. There not going to pay a $200 membership to ride a couple different spots doesn't mater how much there sled, trailer,gear,booze jacked up dodge cost, there going to pay there $25 a day and ride where they want weither it's stoke or sicamous or where ever that may be. I think we would generate way more people and maybe money doing this. You set a booth up at Edmonton sled show sell a yearly membership $30 they get a little sticker or some chit that makes them feel good. Heads are being counted and your still getting the trail fees for what there riding that day. And you got $30 a person. I bet 95% of the people going through there would do that, compared to the 5% that buy a $100-$200 membership. At least you would be getting something???

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have problems getting riders to buy a membership. Most people I talk to say that they will but don't!. we ride mainly 3 different club areas so I try to convince them to buy at least one clubs membership.I will continue trying.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I hear what your saying I agree but this is the way people are now a days... We can't change it.. But why can't we say instance To be a revelstoke member, just a member no privileges it's $30. You still pay your trail fee and everything but this way your counted and its some money. Let's face it 80% of the peeps coming out riding only make it a couple times a year. There not going to pay a $200 membership to ride a couple different spots doesn't mater how much there sled, trailer,gear,booze jacked up dodge cost, there going to pay there $25 a day and ride where they want weither it's stoke or sicamous or where ever that may be. I think we would generate way more people and maybe money doing this. You set a booth up at Edmonton sled show sell a yearly membership $30 they get a little sticker or some chit that makes them feel good. Heads are being counted and your still getting the trail fees for what there riding that day. And you got $30 a person. I bet 95% of the people going through there would do that, compared to the 5% that buy a $100-$200 membership. At least you would be getting something???

Barker it is a Catch 22.................Where is Revelstoke going to get the rest of the money to keep the operation top notch if a membership is only $30. We've been down this road before and if you want to play you are going to have to pay. SnowCats, drags, cabins, parking lots, trails, and other infrastructure costs big bucks. A $30 membership isn't going to cut it.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Barker it is a Catch 22.................Where is Revelstoke going to get the rest of the money to keep the operation top notch if a membership is only $30. We've been down this road before and if you want to play you are going to have to pay. SnowCats, drags, cabins, parking lots, trails, and other infrastructure costs big bucks. A $30 membership isn't going to cut it.

But..... 500 $30 memberships is the same as 75 $200 memberships. A LOT easier to sell a 30$ membership than a $200 one. I get what hes saying for sure.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
But..... 500 $30 memberships is the same as 75 $200 memberships. A LOT easier to sell a 30$ membership than a $200 one. I get what hes saying for sure.

Only one club in BC has that kind of membership and that is Revelstoke. Do you really think even at $30 the members would come out of the wood work? Hell, they don't even want to pay a $20-25 grooming fee...............it would be worth a try but not a lot of clubs have a rainy day account to fall back on in case the $30 scenario doesn't work.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sent off my money for my Revelstoke membership again. I wonder how many peeps are paying the extra $25 for the CAA donation that is offered on the form? Maybe Kathy knows? I bet not many and thats another great way of supporting our sport and the safety of it.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya I know sorry . It's just frustrating so I'm just grasping at straws.... People have changed a lot and this is going to be more and more difficult to fend off. Alberta is NDP...for pete sakes. Won't be long before the new generation will have a law in affect that you can't cut grass because it hurts it!! FML

(SK)AndyM

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have helped to inform an ignorant sledder (That would be me...).

I have always payed trail fees thinking I was doing my part and being a good guy. With the info on this thread I will be purchasing a membership this year. I'm lucky to get out for one trip per season now, but its always been worth it. And a huge thanks to everybody doing all of the behind the scenes work to keep the sport alive, If I know who you were I'd buy you all a round.
I think most of us have too much invested into this sport to let it be slowly picked apart, and I for one would like my kids to be able to enjoy it in the future!!

Anybody in Revy Mid December I will see you there!!! (Keep the Snow flying pleease!)

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes this is along the lines of what I was trying to say. My observation over the last few years is. That most people that buy the $200 membership fees don't ride the groomed trails or very seldom do and they know the importance of that fee. And the other 300+ people heading up to Boulder cabin or Quartz on Saturday (and I'm not trying to make fun of people or poke at them this is just the truth) don't buy a membership because they either don't fully know the importance or think the $25 is really helping out. Or it's not worth it to them because they only make it out a couple times a year. So if someone here can think of some way to target these people which there may not be. It's almost the same with avy education these are huge dilemmas that are becoming more and more a problem as more people are heading out.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The biggest thing with buying a membership is that it counts in the whole scheme of things as paid up members or people who count in the government's eyes. A daily trail pass is fine for paying the expenses and for those that choose that way and pay daily that is good. Far too many even begrudge the daily trail pass.

For there to be more or less 5000 paid members in BC is ludicrous. That is a joke in the eyes of the government. The BC Wildlife Association has over 46,000 members. Who do you think has the loudest voice with the BC government?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very interesting discussion about money, but all the money in the world will be useless if snowmobilers don't respect the closures and restrictions that are in place. These areas were not just given away as a lot of us assume, but were painfully negotiated to try to keep as much high value riding area open as we possibly could. I guarantee violating those agreements wil cost us big time, and money won't fix it.

pcledrew

Reaction score
Very interesting discussion about money, but all the money in the world will be useless if snowmobilers don't respect the closures and restrictions that are in place. These areas were not just given away as a lot of us assume, but were painfully negotiated to try to keep as much high value riding area open as we possibly could. I guarantee violating those agreements wil cost us big time, and money won't fix it.

This only supports the idea of members only access to areas with closures and restrictions. Allows the club to express to the gov that they can self police by removing access permission via voiding of membership if someone violates club policies / regulations by breaking the rules.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a $30 option now....so if Varda took down the name of everyone that buys a day trail pass there would be a lot more members. Or is it not that simple?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Reading the op and the above one and I'm confused if it's a show of support that is needed to bring to the table to show how many people the BCSF is representing and how big of an issue it is or do they just need financial support to fight for the cause-no matter where it were to come from. Donation, membership fees, trail passes, etc.

If the biggest part is just a headcount to show how many people their decisions affect and how many people they actually represent the trail pass and membership with its purchase would work.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom