British Columbia and the future of sledding needs your help

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quoted from the British Columbia Snowmobile Federation

"Yesterday, a group decided to attack Snowmobilers in BC. This is nothing new but this group decided to quote excerpts from studies and used misleading information to try to make it look like Mountain Caribou decline is a direct result of snowmobiles. It is amazing to us what lengths a group with ulterior motives will go to skew a story to meet their goal. Specifically a group that has no investment in the recovery strategy or even caribou in their mandate. They are using caribou as a tool to meet their single minded want to have the BC backcountry to themselves.

The BC Snowmobile Federation has been part of the caribou recovery strategy from the beginning and has created a document in response to this story that includes the facts of why the caribou are in decline in BC and the positive role snowmobilers will continue to play in the recovery strategy.
The moral of the story is that these groups will use whatever it takes to meet their interests. The only way to fight back is to share the true story and join your local snowmobile club to add your voice against these groups."

End quote.

The link to the Valhalla Wilderness Societies report and the rebuttal from the BCSF can be found here.
BC Snowmobile Federation | Snowmobiling in BC continues to be under attack

It is actually disheartening at the level of buy in for membership by recreational snowmobilers. We will lose this battle if sledders do not start getting their heads out of the sand and start supporting their cause. An extremely minimal percentage of recreational snowmobilers actually belong to a club or supporting group. With so few fighting against so many, we will lose unless we can start to turn the tables.

There is a very simple online membership program that has been implemented by the BCSF this year. If you are a Valemount person, the link is here https://varda-bcsf.silkstart.com/join Other clubs links can be found on the BCSF site. For Valemount, this is a $30 fee and takes 5minutes of your time.

You WILL see changes in Valemount and many other areas across BC this year due to the Caribou recovery efforts and this type of pressure. To what extent, we are still negotiating and battling behind the scenes with very few volunteers and an embarrassingly small membership.

Snowmobiling needs your help.

YES, there is a post like this every year, but apparently, most will not take this seriously until your riding areas are gone.

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
None the less an easier fight to handle if the membership numbers reflect the actual users.

They need t realize who their real fight should be with. Seems the forestry industry has been calling the shots, pointing fingers at wolves and backcountry users in order to protect their profits.

Documents indicate B.C. wolf cull linked to forest industry concerns - The Globe and Mail

Nothing we all probably didn't suspect, but now there are documents to prove. Maybe BCSF and Valhalla have a common fight.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Plain and simple. Join a BCSF club. If you ride here belong! Numbers of members is important. The BCSF has to grow members. We should be 100,000 strong.

The Rod and Gun clubs, Guide Outfitters, and the BC Wildlife Federation are listened to in Victoria big time. Why? They have great membership.

Get off your wallets and join for the future of snowmobiling.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a common issue all over, in our area the club represents less than 10% of the estimated number of snowmobilers.
The bright spot ( maybe ) of the new mandatory registration is that government will now have a more accurate idea of the actual number of snowmobiles in the province so may realize how many voters that represents.
Unfortunately it also demonstrates exactly how low the percentage is that BCSF truly speaks for.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curtis makes a very strong point. Everyone knows peeps who just don't get it, are only in the sport for themselves and never join a club. Joining a club gives us a name. A name in the continuing battle for our riding area's. Tell your friends. Its time to fight for our sport. Thanks for the heads up Curtis!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard this yet, but as I was reading your very first sentence my mind said "I bet it's Valhalla again", and low and behold.........:rant:

Those people have no conscience when it comes to outright lying to get what they want, and the public just eats it up. That's what we have been, and still have to deal with. Makes me glad I'm finally getting un-involved in this hopeless fight.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bright spot ( maybe ) of the new mandatory registration is that government will now have a more accurate idea of the actual number of snowmobiles in the province so may realize how many voters that represents.

You know better than that. All it'll tell them is how many of us (including myself) finally caved in and registered under their useless cash grab system. Only 12% in the voluntary period, according to their numbers.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard this yet, but as I was reading your very first sentence my mind said "I bet it's Valhalla again", and low and behold.........:rant:

Those people have no conscience when it comes to outright lying to get what they want, and the public just eats it up. That's what we have been, and still have to deal with. Makes me glad I'm finally getting un-involved in this hopeless fight.
Unfortunately, for the people that have experience and been in the clubs for years, as u said tired of the same old sucks

The experience on who or what to call ect lost is bad news

If sicamous lost Gord, don't know how it would function for a long time after if at all

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, for the people that have experience and been in the clubs for years, as u said tired of the same old sucks

The experience on who or what to call ect lost is bad news

Don't get me wrong. I'm not getting out because I'm tired of fighting with tree huggers. Even with all the lying and deceit I'd fight with them till hell freezes over. I got tired of arguing with my own fellow snowmobilers. As I've said many times, nobody cares till the signs go up....then it's my fault. Not gonna do that any more. This sport is very hard on our volunteers. We need to correct that or we're doomed.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a thankless job, don't give up the good fight, I surround myself with positive attitude people, makes life more enjoyable. look for the small victories, the larger positives will come. this has turned into a pep talk!!!!! and I hate winter sort of.:theCabin:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to drink a beer with you one day!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not getting out because I'm tired of fighting with tree huggers. Even with all the lying and deceit I'd fight with them till hell freezes over. I got tired of arguing with my own fellow snowmobilers. As I've said many times, nobody cares till the signs go up....then it's my fault. Not gonna do that any more. This sport is very hard on our volunteers. We need to correct that or we're doomed.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished reading both press releases. Excellent response from the BCSF for the blatant lies told in the Valhalla Wilderness Society's release.

I would imagine that none of these VWS freaks have any personal experience with Caribou encounters while snowmobiling...since they don't snowmobile.

I plan on placing some phone calls tomorrow to let them know about my first hand encounters.

Phone numbers I found on the press release are: Phone: (250) 358-2333 ; Contact: Craig Pettitt, 250-358-7997

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One question that I was asked from a different s and m member??

Ok so if u by a trail pass at a local sled club, and u get a BCSF membership with that pass , then u have paid into it right

Or is what ur talking a different thing!??

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Re: British Columbia and the future of sledding need you help

Yes a percentage of your snowmobile membership of choice in the province of B.C. not only supports that club but also supports the British Columbia Snowmobile Federation.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a $30 option now....so if Varda took down the name of everyone that buys a day trail pass there would be a lot more members. Or is it not that simple?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LBZ

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three things I would like to to say 1) Thank you to the volunteers who volunteer year after year with very little thanks. 2) It is important for us that do have memberships to encourage/sell others on the importants of membership in a club. 3) Follow the rules and regulations. Non compliance by individuals erases all the work club volunteers carry out if club members disregard the regulations. Here again it is memberships dutie to help with enforcement.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's the percentage from pass??

And why are all the other clubs not asking too then??

Buddy See's it at a cash grab, as he pays for a few passes Evey year

And not saying Valemount is doing this, but there's enough cash grabs nowadays allready

Last edited:
Top Bottom