Powertek rebuild

Nitro800

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just looking for some insight. On my most recent trip west, my 800r went down. Seems like I took a piston out. Will know more this afternoon when I pull it out. That being said. It's time for a rebuild. I have been reading about the dual ring pistons that are out there for these engines. Wondering what's everyone's thoughts. Is it worth going to them or staying stock? What brand if dual ring is the best.? What's your experience with them. Looking for advice before I order parts.

Thanks

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll get lots of mixed reviews. I have used SPX/SPI dual ring, MCB dual ring, Wossner dual ring, CV Tech dual ring. All have worked great. OEM work great too. If you go with a forged like Wossner or Wiseco just make sure clearances are not too tight and proper operating temps are followed. Up to operating temp before it moves, don't overheat, etc. The cast are more forgiving.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

just looking for some insight. On my most recent trip west, my 800r went down. Seems like I took a piston out. Will know more this afternoon when I pull it out. That being said. It's time for a rebuild. I have been reading about the dual ring pistons that are out there for these engines. Wondering what's everyone's thoughts. Is it worth going to them or staying stock? What brand if dual ring is the best.? What's your experience with them. Looking for advice before I order parts.

Thanks

A wise man once told me 2 rings is twice as many parts that could fail.....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Bought rebuilt cylinders and new spi dual rings from a place in Saskatchewan ... Best deal I found and they were already fitted and sized. Working awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks

may as well replace that crank while your in there. this is the kit i got from a dealer in the states. i offered 1500$ and went up from there. at the time the dollar was better but still low balled and got it to my door for under 2000$. plus a 300$ core credit but i kept my cores

Skidoo 800R Cylinder Pistons Gasket Crankshaft 800 Engine Rebuild KIT 300$ Core | eBay

Last edited:

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had snowx dual ring pistons. They are cast and don't heat up as evenly or take the abuse of a forged piston. Not sure how well a forged piston would have took the snow ingestion but the cast piston cracked and dropped into the crank and destroyed the case. I'm running a new short block now with the doo pistons in it and if I was to do it again I would probably do the doo ones or at least a forged piston

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had snowx dual ring pistons. They are cast and don't heat up as evenly or take the abuse of a forged piston. Not sure how well a forged piston would have took the snow ingestion but the cast piston cracked and dropped into the crank and destroyed the case. I'm running a new short block now with the doo pistons in it and if I was to do it again I would probably do the doo ones or at least a forged piston

Stock pistons are cast, Cast pistons don't require much in the way of special break-in, that's part of the reason they come as OEM equipment in two-strokes. Forged pistons, on the other hand, are a different story. A forged piston must be heat-cycled before it can be run hard, or you're playing roulette with your engine.

Nitro800

Reaction score
Bought rebuilt cylinders and new spi dual rings from a place in Saskatchewan ... Best deal I found and they were already fitted and sized. Working awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you happen to remember they name of the place in saskatachewan?? Was it precise engines in saskatoon??

summitguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

well where do I start with cv tech I have a 2007 800r and It went down so I replaced it with a cv tech motor thinking they know what there doing !! Boy I was wrong .
they shipped the motor to local shop I paid to have it installed I took it for a good ride the first day and noticed the clutch was vibrating a lot . Got home check crank run out and it was ****ed .
Took sled back to shop they pulled motor out and shipped back ( I had to pay) they shipped it back I paid to get it installed again went to valemount for the weekend and was leaking coolant out the baseplate I phoned and ripped them a new one they paid the shop in town to fix it I put on 750km and now I'm doing a top end cuz the ring gap was to tight and it cost me a new set of jugs and pistons $750 total and to top it off I pulled the head off and the crank has started to come apart .
[/FONT]

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought toe Doo ones were forged? And I am currently running a cv tech motor...reading this makes me want to check my crank run out. Only got 37 miles on the motor and it seems fine but maybe a guy should check. And now I want to pull the head off again and check the ring gap. I didn't when I put it in, figured they would have but after blowing up a motor before (old 440) due to ring gap I don't want to go through that again

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never had an issue with CV tech. Been dealing with them since '98. Have only ever used 4 of their complet motors that they have rebuilt themselves and all 4 have well over 4000 km/s on with no issues. I use thier cranks, cylinder repiars for over a decade. They have provided me top notch service. Every one can have a "off part or motor" i guess at times. Even the manufactures do. In my experience though they have been really good. One time They put the wrong gear on center of crank for rotary valve shaft on a seadoo engine. I shipped it back they sent me the proper one on their dime. Brent at Arctic Edge uses their cranks and so does Tom at Mots Machining use them also.

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That wise man never pulled 1300+ VtFt climbs in one go with a single ring and had heat soak ruin his climb. Mine, could never do this one pull with stock ring in one shot. Had to stop on a knoll 2.3 up rest her for 30 sec and hit the rest. With RK Tek (Wossner) dual rings, she held RPM from bottom to the top in one go!. But ya, Forged so watch your temps. I always wait till 3 bars on gauge before even moving off the truck.

PS, never tried CV tech pistons, but had 2 cranks from them fail prematurely and got nothing. Not even a reply to emails. Calling them was just a waste of time too. Never deal with them again

Top Bottom