Powder coating chrome rims

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id like to change two sets of chrome rims over to black. I know you can paint them, use plasti dip or powder coat. Obviously powder coat would be the best I think but do you have to strip the chrome off? Or can they just bead blast it? Has anyone had good luck with it? I guess the other thing is cost. I don't want to spend 800 bucks on powder coating a set of rims when I can buy a set of black rims for close to the same cost. What is your experience? Or suggestions???

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at this too but never followed through, there is a guy on kijji that does them reasonable I do believe. Remember mount remount costs balance etc. Thats what kind of killed it for me was adding up to quick.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Impact coatings in edmonton can strip and powder coat them. They did a set of pitted Chrome wheels and made them mint satin black.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went throught this dilemma last year myself....had 4 cheapo aluminum Eagle rims for my winter rubber, after 4 seasons the road salt and sand got the better of the factory finish. Parts were polished and some was powdercoated. Spent a few hours with a wire wheel and my sandblaster to take them down to mostly bare aluminum and then shot em with a few coats of Tremclad black semi-gloss. Fancy. LOL. Have lasted this winter just fine...touch-ups will take 3 seconds and still cooler than resorting to cruddy steelies for my winters.

owen.klassen

Reaction score
I have been running powder coated wheels for 3 winters now. One of them has started to rust a little bit through the powdercoat. I believe that is from not getting all the metal shot out from blasting. The other three have held up awesome. I have the santek black coat on them and its extremely durable.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally would not powdercoat aluminum wheels.If you can find a powdercoater that can do it at a lower consistent temp then maybe.
I have heard of wheels cracking at speed.
Anodizing maybe a better option as they do it at lower temps.

Top Bottom