Is Sledding worth the money?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't have the time to get out west, and the snow around here has been either non existent or crusty for 2 years straight. 1500 bucks on repairs for 300(Sh!tty) miles just ain't worth it in my books especially when I include the price of the sled, gear and gas. .

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't have the time to get out west, and the snow around here has been either non existent or crusty for 2 years straight. 1500 bucks on repairs for 300(Sh!tty) miles just ain't worth it in my books especially when I include the price of the sled, gear and gas. .
Could always try knitting...

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Growing up I always had a sled. My dad found any decent old iron he could and always kept me riding. I spent all the winters of my childhood either riding with him or fixing sleds with him. So for me it's priceless.
My first time to the mountains was two years ago and I was hooked instantly. Wish I could have had the experience with him...

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You can pull in to a staging area with 25+ trucks and how many more guys who are all wondering the same thing, but getting up in to the alpine and not hear a single one as you take it all in. No tracks but yours and a buddy's(ies) - that's worth it to me. Need I mention blue birds??

Mods on the other hand ...:cool:

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imdoo'n, you know you can spend it on both right !?
2-2-2012.16.jpg

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. Not for me the last four-five years. Put well over 10,000 each year on sledding (correction. Trying to fix a sled to go sledding) just to go on two to three crappy rides cause the sled is running like dung has almost got me to quit. Jump to last year buy a sled that turned out to have a blown motor which is looking to be in the 5000 plus range again really had me questioning it.
This year will be the year! New freeride that WILL run without a doubt. Every time. So yes this year is looking to be the ultimate year.

IF.

I even get out. Kid number 2 will be here start of September and if it's anywhere like the first one the freeride will have under 200km by next summer.

Worth it?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. Not for me the last four-five years. Put well over 10,000 each year on sledding (correction. Trying to fix a sled to go sledding) just to go on two to three crappy rides cause the sled is running like dung has almost got me to quit. Jump to last year buy a sled that turned out to have a blown motor which is looking to be in the 5000 plus range again really had me questioning it.
This year will be the year! New freeride that WILL run without a doubt. Every time. So yes this year is looking to be the ultimate year.

IF.

I even get out. Kid number 2 will be here start of September and if it's anywhere like the first one the freeride will have under 200km by next summer.

Worth it?
Two good deep days on the free ride

Worth every cent

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
Running new iron last couple years. Absolutely worth the money, pull the rope and go. More snow this year would be a bonus thou.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haha, I used to ask the same questions out marriage, lot of money for the amount of riding you get, married 21 yrs, sledding a lot longer......the answer is yes if your passionate about it LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other then the up front cost of the sled. I'd say it cost me less most the time then paying for lift tickets at a resort! And you don't have to deal with hoards of people!!!
Not even close. I do both and sledding costs ALOT more than boarding does, WAY, WAY more

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not even close. I do both and sledding costs ALOT more than boarding does, WAY, WAY more

You have kids? A weekend in Jasper with the wife and daughter and a friend and it cost twice as much as as a weekend of sledding for the wife and me. But that's not counting the cost of a sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ned

Reaction score
Quit sledding 2 years ago after doing it for 22 years.Got tired of the expense and traveling 8 hours each way.Now a bunch of us haul our harleys down to yuma az in November and leave them there till the end of March.400 to 450 dollar return flights make it pretty reasonable.Its nice now when you can leave edm airport at 6 am and be riding on the interstate by 1 pm in your t shirt and not even think that it's still January.6000 km last winter and hoping to do same this year.

Top Bottom