Is Sledding worth the money?

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YES. So I was out in the shop last night working on my sled, putting on a new set of scratchers on for the third time (since I usually bend a pair every season backup), as well as installing the WRP hood straps because I am tired of breaking those cheap fasteners. It got me thinking about how much we spend on our sleds, only to ride them on average 10-12 times a season. It really is crazy the amount of hard earned money we put into our sleds. I am not even near some of you but here is what I've done. Me personally have a 2012 600 which was a 144..
$9100 Snow check price
$395 Powder Coating
$420 HPS Can
$425 155x2.4 Track upgrade
$325 Rail and tunnel extension
$120 SLP Anti Stab Kit
$400 Avid Drivers
$40 19 Tooth Gear
$50 Hyfax Sliders
$25 SLP Primary Spring
$280 WRP Running Boards
$120 Polaris Defrost Bag
$60 Under Seat Bag
$70 New Mud Flap
$200 3 sets of scratchers
$50 New LH Bar Warmer
$120 Backus Racing Vents
$75 Spare side panels painted black
$65 WRP Hood Latch Kit
$45 3.75" Riser

Total Parts: $3285
I may be missing a few small things...

Countless hours of fun and some frustration in the shop and once I fire up my sled and pull it out of the trailer...YES it is all worth it!
Share your projects, what you have spent and good/bad shop stories while we all do our summer mods and gear up for another season!

Cheers,

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I been asking my self this very question and I am still undecided. Lots of hassle and money to ride a few times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spend a lot on snowmobiling, Im not going to say how much because its retarded. But I get out more than most too though.

I think it has been worth it for me, but I gave up lots to be able to do it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not worth the money if you look at it from that perspective but I still wouldn't quit it for anything whether it makes sense or not is beside the point.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How much entertainment did you get buying all the accessories? To each their own with regards to mods. I am one who rides quite a bit more than the 10-12 times a year.

My sleds are pretty much stock other than TheThing can and a skid plate. Is it worth it? Every friggin' penny....................:thumbsup2:

Look at any sport and in particular, motorized sports (biking, boating, sledding). They are all expensive. Even self powered biking is expensive.

It costs to play. Get used to it!

Quattroman

Reaction score
Its worth it to me, Mind you my '12 AC M8 has been problem free. But my brother and a buddy both sold their machines and every time we go out they just rent something.... Maybe they're on to something

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the funny thing about this sport. The sled is actually the cheaper part of it. Especially if you dont mod the piss out of it. You can buy a new sled every year or two, and if you leave it stock you dont really lose that much relative to what other hobbies can cost.

At least thats how I talk myself into it. I think the wife is even starting to buy it. :d

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other then the up front cost of the sled. I'd say it cost me less most the time then paying for lift tickets at a resort! And you don't have to deal with hoards of people!!!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure this guy would laugh at my sledding budget, but hey its all relative.

SERENE-Luxury-Yacht_BonjourLife-2.jpg

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fun factor cost money. You can go cheap but in the end it still cost money. We also have been thinking about a new boat for the summer and I think boating will end up costing more.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really put a price on having funny, now my wife that is another story. So last year I bought her a quad, this year budget allowing I will buy her a used sled, and if she doesn't like it I will give it to my daughter. She is very positive when I mention family activities :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Mountain trips are expensive we try to limit them to 1 a month or there abouts January - March, and try to do as much "local" sledding as we can, I know I logged 600km last season and probably 450 of that was done in Alberta!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are on the outside looking in at this sport, the casual observer would think we are all a few bricks short - especially if you are a mountain rider. It is an expensive sport for sure - I could have bought a lot of other "nice" items with what i've spent on sleds over the years. But I wouldn't have it any other way. The statement " If I have to explain, you won't understand" rings true in this case...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally worth it.
Buy lots of accessories
Buy lots of gas
Buy lots of food and booze
Stay at hotel and motels

Support the economy

Top Bottom