Polaris used market destroyed.

millmonkey84

Reaction score
there are still the odd sleds that come up for a good price. it is like everything else in the west. the oil guys drive the price up cause they had cash to burn. now they will have to sell at a relaistic price.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The used market is the used market. It is what it is...

The problem is these dealers selling a product for 13k then dropping it to 10k months later. They are retards. Why are they ordering more sleds then they can sell like this all the time? They are flooding the market and destroying it.

Are they even making money at these prices because when I bought a 14 for 11,600 all in a few months ago, I was told this is pretty much cost. Obviously someone is lying or they are losing money to clear up their line of credit?

Once these dealers deals disapear I think the market will settle. I find it crazy that you can buy a new machine and have it worth 40-50% less in 3 months and it's because of these dealers that can't order the right amount of inventory.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the long run it will hurt their sales if it keeps up. Consumers aren't going to want to dump their machines for half or less of what they paid for them a year or tow ago. They will hang onto older machines longer without buying new. It also pisses off the guys that snow checked and could have waited til mid season to save a healthy chunk of change.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats a realistic price? Guy pays 12G for a new Pro next season he should sell it for what? 6G's? Not a real good incentive to buy a new sled.

I'm not generalizing the whole used market right now, but you've seen the guys with the crazy overpriced used toys. Makes me laugh. I don't even bother giving them my time to negotiate. They can keep it and make a few more payments on it.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the long run it will hurt their sales if it keeps up. Consumers aren't going to want to dump their machines for half or less of what they paid for them a year or tow ago. They will hang onto older machines longer without buying new. It also pisses off the guys that snow checked and could have waited til mid season to save a healthy chunk of change.

Exactly. I just got mine 3 months ago for a supposedly good deal, now guys are saying I lost 40% of the value in 3 months? That is absolutely insane and all because the dealers are throwing these things out the door. I am really second thinking snow checking a new one now.... What's the point if I'm going to lose that much coin on this one and the next one? Might as well ride this till she blows.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I just got mine 3 months ago for a supposedly good deal, now guys are saying I lost 40% of the value in 3 months? That is absolutely insane and all because the dealers are throwing these things out the door. I am really second thinking snow checking a new one now.... What's the point if I'm going to lose that much coin on this one and the next one? Might as well ride this till she blows.
I snow checked my 14 and I'm not sure I would bother doing it again. Probably find a mid season deal on something with low km or off the showroom floor.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all supply and demand. Some people want to be the first on the hill with the newest sled. Sh1t every year we have a thread on here talking about people who got there snow checks first. Lots of demand then and limited supply. Right now we have lots of supply and not much demand.

The other thing is everybody justifies or figures out there own deal. Some will hold firm on a price and not settle for less.

Myself if I'm ready to move on I will sell at a very reasonable price and its gone in a matter of days. I'm not looking to justify the cost of sledding but sledding doesn't exist without a sled.

How many have sat in on a $800 bar tab and said it was a good night?

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
The used market is the used market. It is what it is...

The problem is these dealers selling a product for 13k then dropping it to 10k months later. They are retards. Why are they ordering more sleds then they can sell like this all the time? They are flooding the market and destroying it.

Are they even making money at these prices because when I bought a 14 for 11,600 all in a few months ago, I was told this is pretty much cost. Obviously someone is lying or they are losing money to clear up their line of credit?

Once these dealers deals disapear I think the market will settle. I find it crazy that you can buy a new machine and have it worth 40-50% less in 3 months and it's because of these dealers that can't order the right amount of inventory.

change "dealer" to "manufacturer" in your post and you may be onto something, you think a dealer is selling below "cost" without rebates or incentives from the mfr? nope

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

good point, and i was alive and remember the 80's when companies making sleds went under or went into bankruptcy. Polaris came up with this snow check program to determine how many sleds to build in advance. snow checking is a benefit to the manufacture but clever marketing has made people think its a benefit to the consumer. a combination of things has changed the market

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not generalizing the whole used market right now, but you've seen the guys with the crazy overpriced used toys. Makes me laugh. I don't even bother giving them my time to negotiate. They can keep it and make a few more payments on it.

Yep lots of those guys around. Thats why new is probably the way to go.

sled obsessed

Reaction score
yep its hard to feel sorry for guys who snowcheck, you pay like 3+K for the privilege of early ordering. What a giant rip-off. You don't get much in return in my opinion. but the dealer and mtfg's do well i would think.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread isn't much different than in 2012/2013 and the XM was released. I am sure someone can find almost the exact thread, Ski-doo XP used market destroyed.

Was it really? Sure if you had a bunch of junk and a high mileage sled with a Ptek. There will always be a market for used sleds, just need to price them accordingly. If you take a larger loss on the sale than you expected, that's just how it is. When you have a toy that you can only use for many people 6 months of the year at best, it can be hard for people to understand the value of a seasonal item when they paid a premium for it a year prior.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is till a lot of season to ride yet as it is only February.
History says that Alberta and Sask will be digging ourselves out of the snow in March and into April.
Have patience for the winter to go away and the grass grows green. Then you go looking for sleds go with cash, Bills of Sale, tie down straps and a trailer .

westhawk39

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2015 standard RMK155 800 for 9100, $9555 OTD. Pros were $10000 (10,500 OTD) This is in Northern AB.

Do the canadian dealers sell to americans? You could get that standard for $7600 american OTD

I really wanted the standard for the front tunnel cooler and there are very few for sale (used PRO's seem to be cheaper / more of them) . The one i found was a 2012 with 900 miles and was $8500. Thought that was a good deal a month ago...

I asked the dealer how he was making any money... And he responded that he is losing about $1000. I asked what markup was and he said 10% (obviously there are good rebates from polaris right now). He said no snow and the new model release is the reason to sell below cost. He would start paying interest soon so why not dump them and take a hit. Guess if you sell 3 below cost, 3 sleds sold for retail cover the loss, and if you sell 20+ your still doing ok.

I can see why people sell so high used... Been in that boat before. You finance the whole cost of the sled including tax and accessories and it ends up being $14-16000. Even if you put $1000 down, by march you havn't even put a dent in the loan and your taking a hit at $11000.

If I had the money I would likely deal with the closest dealer and buy new every year or 2 because having the support would be nice. Blow a motor sunday and have a sled back thursday would be sweet. But for $5k difference I can keep mine going myself and source things online. Just takes time if you have a motor job to shop around and get it done for a reasonable price

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom