Polaris used market destroyed.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago it was $2500 to upgrade to a new one every year .
Changed to $5000.00 for a years riding then back to $2500-$3000.
It's going to be back to $5000.00 again at least for first year. IMO
Time will tell though I guess.
For me I would no way in hell buy a 1500 km sled for $2500 less then new.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats not the point tho...

Guess I'm missing the point then...lol

My point is people can ask what they want(doesn't mean it will sell)

Just because Dealer X has 3 new sleds they are selling at liquidation prices doesn't mean I have to give my chit away.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if you paid $13000 and your sled is a year old with 600 kms knock $3500 off that's $9500 for a good used sled (seems fair), but the dealer is selling this years model for $500 more than your used...... That's what kills the used market.
Then there's the poor dude that added $2500 worth of extras.... Now what's his sled worth?
I guess that's what were up against when we buy new....we all know it, but it hurts when it hits the ol' wallet.

is crappy but extras are not generally included in resale value of anything, look at the big hit most turbo sled guys take when selling, sleds are about the biggest money loser out there

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i only say a little more dire because of the slouching economy right now. when layoffs happen the first thing to go is the toys and little extras you can do without...or would you keep the sled and not eat?. the mass of our population in the west is dependent on oil prices. jmho

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm missing the point then...lol

My point is people can ask what they want(doesn't mean it will sell)

Just because Dealer X has 3 new sleds they are selling at liquidation prices doesn't mean I have to give my chit away.

no you dont have to give it away but guys asking for more than new is the point. the used market sales is sad right now. for a couple reasons that i can see.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I think a lot of guys still owe a pile of money on their financed toys !!!!

I agree 110% with the above statement. I have been fortunate (or worked hard to save the cash) and if the market goes in the tank, I get what it is at the time of sale. Quite simple really. I may not like it but that is life.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no you dont have to give it away but guys asking for more than new is the point. the used market sales is sad right now. for a couple reasons that i can see.

I here you. but if I pay 12g for a new terrain dominator, put 1000$ in crap on it, ride 600km then try to sell it for 9500$
and some clown tells me he can get a new one for that price I'd tell em "go buy that one then, this one is 9500$"

And if I want to ask 15g for it I can do that too, If I'm a good enough salesman who knows? There is a sucker born every minute...

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I here you. but if I pay 12g for a new terrain dominator, put 1000$ in crap on it, ride 600km then try to sell it for 9500$
and some clown tells me he can get a new one for that price I'd tell em "go buy that one then, this one is 9500$"

And if I want to ask 15g for it I can do that too, If I'm a good enough salesman who knows? There is a sucker born every minute...

yea...good point. that last part made me giggle.

off topic whats your odometer reading?..:beer:

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think there is just too many guys making payments of there toys. I was in cycleworks buying a few parts and the salesman ask me if I wanted to fill out a credit app to finance a new sled..... He said that the majority of customers make payments on there new sleds. And of course, all the 2015 RMKs were discounted $3000.....

For me, toys are cash only. If I don't have it in the bank, I don't buy it....

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just browsing kijiji to see that used sleds are going for, thinking of snow checking the new chassis...

Wowzers is the market screwed. Some poor guys trying to sell used sleds more than new ones from the dealer.

Some dealers clearing out new 14s for 9750-9999$...

Whats a mint condition 14 with 600km worth now?

A mint 14 with 600km is worth $6300-$6900.

Too many people get wrapped up in the get one early deal. I think that the sled is only worth 10500-11000 to begin with. 30% depreciation off the lot and as soon as it is used 100kms say another 10% of that. Just my thought. I have a 2011 that I think is worth maybe $5000 but guys are wondering why they can't sell the 2009 for $4500. My 2013 turbo that cost me $32000 is maybe at best $17500-$20000 now. Don't shoot me! JMO

Last edited:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what depreicaition is I sold a 2 year old sled, paid $14,335.50 tax in, 2 years later sold it for $6,700.00. Its to bad all the DipSh1ts on Kijiji and dealers can`t figure that out. I dont fall in love with my toys.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I know what depreicaition is I sold a 2 year old sled, paid $14,335.50 tax in, 2 years later sold it for $6,700.00. Its to bad all the DipSh1ts on Kijiji and dealers can`t figure that out. I dont fall in love with my toys.

WOW!!!! Did the buyer at least lube up first?

Nikm17

Reaction score
I think part of the problem this year is the lack of snow. Conditions have been less than stellar pretty much everywhere this season so guys are less inclined to spend money on a sled they might not be able to fully enjoy. I'd be willing to bet that if we had wicked snow this year there would be a lot less new sleds sitting in show rooms right now, and the dealers wouldn't be offering huge discounts like they are. And all the used sleds would be holding more value because there would be a demand for them.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a very low used value, it's easier to justify keeping it as a "spare!"
Only problem is nobody wants to ride it!!
The guy that just tore the left A-arms off his sled or twisted his S-module into a pretzel will be happy to!

Top Bottom