Polaris D8 issues

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I know this topic is getting old but, We were riding a couple of weeks ago in McBride and had two dragons with seperate issues. One would hit the det level on the trail going up and would stay on till it was shut down and started again. Seemed like if you wrode it like a puss it would do it more often, drove it like a wild man it would run fine. The mid range problem i'm sure. The other one would do the same but if you backed out of it, it would quit and a way you would go. I wonder if this is related to fuel. The next day running on the same fuel both sleds acted the same, sort of. Has anyone tried burning VP fuel or a mixture of high octane such as 110 and seen less issues with melt down or badly running engines? We were running 91 pump gas with no ethanal.

Appreciate any info you might have Thanks.

Brad62

Reaction score
I also was at Mcbride a few weeks ago and had issues. 09 D8 ran great the first day but only a short day so burnt 3/4 tank of fuel from home. Fueled up and ran the next day very shakey. Ended up coming down the trail and deto'ed all the way down. The same day had 2 M1000's run terrible as well. I ended up with a top end Redo. Had the updates done and are fully aware of the midrange issues so I ride accordingly. Not pointing fingers but sure seems fishy. So now am going to try using octane boost in every tank.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It never hurts to Run alittle race fuel. I run 100% VP C-111 In my T-Dragon....BUT a also ride with guys that have slit mods (pipe,etc..) to there sleds and they run about 20% Race to 80% prem......running a little race fuel will eliminate any detination problems... SLP and a couple other pipe biulders are saying to run a little race fuel......Just my 2 cents......

BD

Brad62

Reaction score
What do you guys think of running a little octane boost. Might be more convenient than blends.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of running a little octane boost. Might be more convenient than blends.[/QUOTE

I think a bottle of octane boost is a waste of money and time.......how many bottles of Octane boost would person need to run to be effective???? Im guessing one bottle isnt going to cut it.....#1 killer of most stock/slit mods motor problems in chit fuel.....Im not trying to start a pizzing match with anyone im just trying to inform.....again take my opinion for what its worth....

summitbound

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the local fuel station's don't sell enough Premium Fuel and your getting Low octane Fuel

Or WATER in there storage tank's

Since it ran great with fuel from home

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks BigDawg, That confirms what I was thinking, i had used c111 in my old 98 700 mod at a 100% rate, had no issues and would at times hit really high temps on the exhaust. But I never had mixed at a smaller rate, i will do this next trip out.:d

sldgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of running a little octane boost. Might be more convenient than blends.

Jerry at SLP recommends 1 oz per gallon of Lucas octane boost when running their performance package.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jerry at SLP recommends 1 oz per gallon of Lucas octane boost when running their performance package.

Well, there ya go. I was with bigdawg on the fact it didn't work. I still like the comfort of the fact that race fuel is what it saids it is.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unplug the black pink wire going up the trail it will back the timing down and dont hold it in the mid range long,but it sounds like bad fuel to me go to airport (cardnal aviation villeneuve) and buy some av gas $140 pr liter. I run my 08 d8 at 12 psi boost so i know the fuel is good and cheep

chris

fastdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dayoldbread

Lucas may be better than some brands, but most octane boost is a waste of money! Mix race fuel like others said then you know what you got.:)

Dragonryder

Reaction score
In the hills i run the Amsoil octane boost with the highest octane # i can find depending on the given town in bc. On one trip i ran out of the boost.. notice the difference.. I am attributing this to bad gas most likely water in the tank. seems to be better in the spring as the Tk's get changed out.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after our experiences in McBride,,,,, bring your own fuel,,,,, nothing against Mcbride luv that little town, by the gas is not what it says it is, thats just from our experience....... also on the Dragons if you are un sure of any fuel you put in unplug the ethanol wires and will run in safe mod and have no issues, but bad fuel is bad fuel nothing will help that unless you mix like bigdawg said.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Polaris has something here. I got the newest reflash done on tuesday and rode all week. The thing ran strong with no Det issues and pulled hard all the way through the mid range. You could also ride all day at mid throttle with no issues at all. Thought you IQ 800's would like to know.:d

Top Bottom