Plugging in my diesel

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh the thread was about block heaters, it never dawned on me that he was talking about a diesel fired ones. My bad, i only have experience with espar forced air bunk heaters. not engine ones.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry....couldn't resist :cool:
Lol no worries...would expect nothing less from a dodge guy...or now that I look you don't even have your ride listed ...truck coward...

Last edited:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I plug my truck in at anything below -10. Diesel is $1.33 per liter here. Not sure what the dirtbags at Epcor are charging for power, but I'm pretty sure it's less than the cost of all the extra fuel the truck will burn trying to warmup from a cold start. Plus it doesn't sound real nice when I fire it up cold.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Probably newbie question but....I have 2011 6.6l duramax should I be plugging her in tonight??

If you plan on keeping your truck for along time (diesel) treat her with respect. Anything below -10 plug it in. Run 0w40 in the winter. Synthetic or not, your choice. Warm up time for a diesel is key. So mant different metals warming up at multiple temperatures. Cold starts are hard on a diesel. You pay alot of money for these trucks so alittle respect in return ain't that big a deal.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping your truck for along time (diesel) treat her with respect. Anything below -10 plug it in. Run 0w40 in the winter. Synthetic or not, your choice. Warm up time for a diesel is key. So mant different metals warming up at multiple temperatures. Cold starts are hard on a diesel. You pay alot of money for these trucks so alittle respect in return ain't that big a deal.
Usually let it warm up for the 2 cycles allowed on the cheap ass factory remote starter...is that long enough prob only 5/10 min run time

Peter Gill

Reaction score
Personal opinion only, from a transplanted West Coaster who learned the hard way during the past 20+ years on the Prairies and who has 4 trucks, 2 each gas & diesel: Synthetic oil is better than dino, but thick syn isn't better than thin dino; ie 15-40 synthetic will produce harder starts than 5-20 dino oil: change the oil with something thinner before it gets cold. While you might get away without a battery blanket on a gasser, bad idea for a diesel since they take LOTS of juice to crank. The Toyota oiler in my Suzuki only has 1 battery, but my 7.3 Ford has two and both have electric blankets. The Suzuki is always parked for the winter anyway. You won't coke your oil with a magnetic pan heater, it doesn't create enough heat to break down your oil assuming you replace it on a regular basis. Diesels are more thermally efficient than gassers, as such they take longer to warm up post-start. The best (and likely costliest) heater is one that warms the coolant with the added benefit of having the cab heater able to do its job sooner. Check the efficiency of your coolant, it's not just for boiling over in hot weather. If it's a diesel, when was the last time you checked the SCA level? Ensure the batteries are topped up to the top of the plates, and that the contacts are clean and tight; coat them with dielectric grease so they don't corrode. Buy your fuel from a place that has a large through-put, like Flying J, so the fuel hasn't been sitting around for awhile, and maybe consider a cetane additive. Again, personal opinion and experience only, but it's been a long time since I've had to sit in a Moose Jaw farmyard and drain the oil at -40 to get my truck running, only because I learned from having to do just that.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya one of the guys that quad with us put one in on his last year but big investment....Not sure if they're all the same but he didn't even have to start his truck, just pushed the button and his window defrosted and heated the cab

- big investment? isnt the 2011 ltz a big investment an espar seems fairly cheap at that price

imo plug it in under 0, run 0-40 oil, if you want more get a pan heater, if you want the best get a diesel heater, if your going to buy a new truck in a couple years dont spend anything on it the next guy can deal with it.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pro heat is a make i use on my big trucks espar heater is what u want to run on a pickup

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much does it really cost? i plug in mainly under -5c, same as my wife with her gas jobber, i can honestly say i dont notice a difference in our power bill that would make me say holy sh!t, what ever its costing its making it up in repair costs

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
pro heat is a make i use on my big trucks espar heater is what u want to run on a pickup

Pretty sure espar,webasto,and proheat all make pickup versions of their heaters. My diesel parks inside but if it didn't would b plugged in -10 or colder a couple hours b4 starting.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Usually let it warm up for the 2 cycles allowed on the cheap ass factory remote starter...is that long enough prob only 5/10 min run time

I'll let mine run for 30 min. If it will be under load (camping) I will let it warm up to operating temperature. Most people don't have the patience for this or don't want to waist the exta $ on fuel for added warm up time. To each there own :)

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well did the synthetic 0-40 oil change.... but wow with these temperatures haven't had to test it yet....not that I'm complaining!!!

Top Bottom