Plugging in my diesel

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the new diesel trucks should be plugged in below -15*c........ Especially since they all have 15w40 in them. I'm not gonna plug in the next few days just to see what the 2011 cummins does with only 9000 kms on it. Curiosity more than anything. I still have the 15w40 on it after 2 oil changes, but will be switching to 5w40 synthetic next oil change and then shouldn't ever have to worry about not plugging it in. The black beast started no problem this morning in -28*c windchill, so i suspect in the -35*c windchill tonite shouldn't be a problem.
Oil pan heaters are great on older diesels, but don't really need 'em if plugging in the newer trucks as the newer block heaters work great(higher wattage).
Espar heaters work awesome too, but you're payin' $$$ for it

Just for the record...windchill doesn't matter. Temperature is the only factor in cold starting the engines.

And my 0.02 for the thread: as my dad always said "tie up your horses!" ;-)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the new diesel trucks should be plugged in below -15*c........ Especially since they all have 15w40 in them. I'm not gonna plug in the next few days just to see what the 2011 cummins does with only 9000 kms on it. Curiosity more than anything. I still have the 15w40 on it after 2 oil changes, but will be switching to 5w40 synthetic next oil change and then shouldn't ever have to worry about not plugging it in. The black beast started no problem this morning in -28*c windchill, so i suspect in the -35*c windchill tonite shouldn't be a problem.
Oil pan heaters are great on older diesels, but don't really need 'em if plugging in the newer trucks as the newer block heaters work great(higher wattage).
Espar heaters work awesome too, but you're payin' $$$ for it
windchill does not affect a sitting vehicle. it will cool it off faster, but it will not get colder than the outside ambient temperature. if it's -20 outside and the wind is blowing 100 mph, your vehicle will only get as cold as -20.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
if you read the owners manuals, i believe they state in there you don't need to plug in till -20. At least the duramax and the ford 6 leaker did. But that's not saying you can't plug in at a warmer temp. Other than the power bill going up it saves wear on the engine. A warm start is always better than a cold one.

we put timers on to start heating at about 5am..... Only need about an hour or two plugged in to effectively work

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was -9 here in Armstrong last night and I plugged in my F350. I figured starting any engine cold is "harder" on it so why not make it easy and warms up faster too.

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a timer for mine from canadian tire can set the time and days of the week you want the block heater to turn on at. i have it running into the garage then outside to the truck so the night before i just go out and change the time so it kicks on 2 hours before i leave and the motor is already at 105 F when i start it when i get in! would be simpler for you monday to friday guys just to set it monday to friday 5am to 7am or whatever. shiftwork makes it tougher.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think I'll invest in a timer as well then never have to mess around again...just easier on the truck I guess...

Last edited:

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what kind you guys bought....was looking at a Noma one at Canadian tire but the guy there said it loses time and stops working when it got to cold, cost was 34.99???

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u run a engine heater its a good idea to use it once and a while in the summer as well just so the water pump dosent stick but yes best money spent run them on most of our equipment cupple hundred pices and some times if not used in a while have to take them apart and free stuff up but find its cheeper then batterys and starters cause we have the smartest oprators in the world
if u plan on having diesel trucks for awhile get a espar deisel heater installed ($2500) that includes the blower for cab heat!! awesome ....when u sell yr truck just take heater off and put on new truck. Its a bit of $$ to spend but never have to worry about cold starting and cab is nice and warm!

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what kind you guys bought....was looking at a Noma one at Canadian tire but the guy there said it loses time and stops working when it got to cold, cost was 34.99???

i honestly think thats what we have ahha, it works for us

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really make much difference does it?? Have the block all nice and warm and your urea tanks all frozen up and you'll make better time walkin!! Probably be best if there was a heater in the tailgate so you wouldn't get cold hands pushin yur Duramax home!!:p

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not plugging my Cummins in tonight either, will see how it likes -28C, really doubt it's going to start doesn't like -5C lately. Don't really care at this point, the engine is pooched and maybe the cold start will be the final nail in the coffin, would be awesome to see some carnage! Dealer only wants to do bottom end, want to force an entire rebuild somehow......It's gained a quart of oil in the last month, it's fawked anyways.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a webasto installed in his cummins. It's an engine heater that burns diesel fuel from you fuel tank to heat the motor. No need to plug in, just turn it on in the cab and let it warm up without idling. It's pretty slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really make much difference does it?? Have the block all nice and warm and your urea tanks all frozen up and you'll make better time walkin!! Probably be best if there was a heater in the tailgate so you wouldn't get cold hands pushin yur Duramax home!!:p
Surprised it took this long for the smack talk to start....but they've done some sort of factory fix before I could take it off the lot, something about insulation and a plate for the urea tank...

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprised it took this long for the smack talk to start....but they've done some sort of factory fix before I could take it off the lot, something about insulation and a plate for the urea tank...

Sorry....couldn't resist :cool:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u run a engine heater its a good idea to use it once and a while in the summer as well just so the water pump dosent stick but yes best money spent run them on most of our equipment cupple hundred pices and some times if not used in a while have to take them apart and free stuff up but find its cheeper then batterys and starters cause we have the smartest oprators in the world
HUH are you kidding or serious?

Top Bottom