Pet Peeves!!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, as a Respiratory Therapist, a mother, a non-smoker and an over-opinionated human being in general, I am going to weigh in on the smoking issue:

Couple little factoids:

1. We all know that mothers who smoke during pregnancy experience a higher risk of developing complications during pregnancy than those who don't. BUT DID YOU KNOW that researchers have actually filmed and proven that when a pregnant mother smokes the FETUS IN UTERO IS ACTUALLY SEEN TO GASP?!? An unborn child does "practice breathing" and it has been proven that the fetus will hold its proverbial breath when exposed to cigarette smoke... pretty powerful evidence that we go against nature when we expose our kids.

2. The lung contains clusters of grape-like structures known as alveoli where oxygen and carbon dioxide are exchanged across the lung tissue to the blood, and vice versa. These alveoli are not fully formed until a child is 8 years old. Exposure to second hand cigarette smoke before the age of 8 is setting this child up for a lifetime of potential issues.

OKAY, so those are my interesting tidbits... now my opinion based on my professional and personal experiences:

I have watched countless people die long, drawn out deaths on ventilators of COPD, lung cancer, strokes and heart disease etc., Smoking is a direct cause of all of these. Sure, spending 3 months on a ventilator with a hole in your throat for an RT to suction snot out of is disgusting... Granted, the pressure sore that develops on your buttocks and the back of your head is starting to smell as you slowly waste away in a hospital bed... But truly, the suffering you experience from a life spent smoking is nothing compared to the grief of those left behind. I have been present when families are told that their loved one can't be saved and waited with the family while they said goodbye so that I could turn off the monitors and ventilator. I've extubated people so that they could say one last farewell from the bed. So when you ask me if I think you should quit smoking, the answer is 100% yes... if not for you, then at least for the ones you love.

And yes, I know... you could die in a car accident tomorrow. You could get some weird disease or other unknown condition and your life could end... so why quit smoking? We all have to go sometime right?!? Weak argument in my opinion.

As a child, a dear friend of mine died of an asthma attack in the middle of the night. I remember being on the bus the day before and complaining because we couldn't wear deodorant when she was around because it triggered her asthma. I felt selfish when I heard the news of her passing. But her parents smoked "just in the bathroom" regularly in her home... those are decisions that you just don't get to take back and regret is a cancer all its own.

All that being said, I do try very hard to understand the other side of the coin. Nicotine is one of the most powerful addictions there is. In most substance addictions, when we ingest the substance, it enters the blood stream, which activates a transmitter, which sends out a hormone, which affects a receptor, which in turn releases a desired physiological effect. It is a 'delayed' reaction. With nicotine, that chain of events is skipped. Our body actually has nicotine receptors that are immediately activated without all the intermediate steps. The more we smoke, the more receptors our body creates, so that when we stop smoking the withdrawal is more immediate and pronounced than most other addictive substances. Not to mention the psychological and social ramifications. Its a behavior. Its a lifestyle. Its physical, physiological and mental. And its a tough one to beat. I've never smoked, so I wouldnt even begin to imagine what it would be like to quit. I'll tell you this tho, take away my morning caffeine and I couldnt function at all; I have weaknesses that I'm too weak to work on myself, so I don't judge those who smoke. Period.

My mother in law smokes as much as $1200 in a month. She smokes in the house, the car, the everywhere... If you suggest quitting the thought sends her into shockwaves and she smokes twice as much to compensate for the thought! Here lies the dilmena: she is the only grandparent within 800km of our family. Do I keep my kids from seeing and knowing their grandma because I personally and professionally abhor smoking? This has been a tough battle for me. In the end, I do allow my kids to stay with her. She loves them dearly and they love her. They always come home with a runny nose and she comments every single time that they seem to be coming down with something... EERRRRRGH!! Does it bother me? He!!'s ya... is it worth the battle? I just don't know.

I guess my point is that it is easy to stand on our soapboxes and preach our opinions. Smokers don't have a right to expose others to their carcinogenic acts, especially kids who can't stand up for themselves. By the same token, we non-smokers don't have the right to stand on a soap box and declare smoking disgusting and abhorrent. Empathy and tolerance need to prevail at some point.

In the end, we all have a responsibility WHEN WE KNOW BETTER, TO DO BETTER. In my books, that just means TRY. And that's all anyone can ask.

Knowing all this, you go and buy your kids a 2-stroke quad anyway?! Jeez, talk about child endangerment.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people who chase my cat out of their yard , then start cussing over the fence that we need to do something about it.:nono: yet when a see them during the day , the problem with the cat never comes up in conversation. these people i'm sure have never had a pet . lifes too short to worry about a small cat walking across your yard,:spot: i have 4 small pets , and they never chit in the yard ........ no problem:d

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Knowing all this, you go and buy your kids a 2-stroke quad anyway?! Jeez, talk about child endangerment.

Yeah... you're right. And I let them hang out with the likes of you too. I should be locked up. Someone call CPS!!

markiedog

Reaction score
Pet peeve #1 Racism

#2 When someone passes me, and the highway is clear for 1/2 a mile, yet they feel the need to pull back inabout two car lengths ahead. Grrrrrrr
I agree , worse yet is when they slow down once they get in front.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the same token, we non-smokers don't have the right to stand on a soap box and declare smoking disgusting and abhorrent. Empathy and tolerance need to prevail at some point.

Why don't non-smokers have a right to preach? We have to endure cigarette butts and second-hand smoke as we walk around everyday - the tolerance we show for that should allow us some lateral tolerance for preaching about it from smokers. If someone said go drink a gallon of gasoline a day and see how long you live - would anyone really do it?

We all know the effects of what it would do to your body - I see smoking as the same thing - there are known negative effects and yet people light up everyday......this leads into my pet peeve of people that knowingly impact their bodies with drugs, excessive booze (note: EXCESSIVE - moderation is key, I have no issues with social use) or drugs. People are happy to bitch about sledders being a burden on the taxpayer, what about the burden to taxpayers on the healthcare system from people knowingly abusing themselves and then relying on the healthcare system to keep them alive? If you want to abuse your body with known toxic substances, then IMO you either bare the cost of your own care or you don't get care. Same for drunk drivers.

Another pet peeve is anyone using the threat of unnecessary violence to solve an issue, especially on the internet.... In this day and age, someone pulling a women out of her car and laying hands on her better hope that its not me behind them at the stop light. And many people think alike. If you don't think that within 10 seconds of people seeing you lay a hand on a woman, that there wouldn't be an angry mob turning your face into hamburger on the sidewalk, welcome to the real world. How are you protecting your kids by exposing them to something like this?

There - I think I managed to alienate both sides of this argument. Mission accomplished.:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My mother in law smokes as much as $1200 in a month. She smokes in the house, the car, the everywhere... If you suggest quitting the thought sends her into shockwaves and she smokes twice as much to compensate for the thought! Here lies the dilmena: she is the only grandparent within 800km of our family. Do I keep my kids from seeing and knowing their grandma because I personally and professionally abhor smoking? This has been a tough battle for me. In the end, I do allow my kids to stay with her. She loves them dearly and they love her. They always come home with a runny nose and she comments every single time that they seem to be coming down with something... EERRRRRGH!! Does it bother me? He!!'s ya... is it worth the battle? I just don't know.

My mother faced the same dilemena.... Grandparents on both sides smoked, aunts, uncles ect.... My mother was a team leader for open heart sugury at the Victoria General in Halifax... She knew all the risks before most, was up to date on all research ect ect.... She decided that the amount of exposure vs. importance of family was an acceptable risk. is plio's athesma caused from being exposed to second hand smoke?????? I guess it's a possibility, if you ask him would he give up the relationships forged while exposed to that environment if it meant no athesma...absolutely not.

I hate the fact that I smoke... I would love to quit and talk about it all the time, eventually I will....Unfortunately it has to be one of those things I do on my own terms and quite frankly I'm not sure what that will take... My grandmother died of emphasima, my grandfather on my other side as well. I have chosen to limit the exposure to my children, however when they go to grandparents houses they are exposed (even my mothers as her husband smokes)and I can live with that for reasons stated above. My daughter has athesma, possibly because the ex wife smoked durring pregnancy or maybe she would have it even had she not smoked because my boy has no athesma and the ex smoked during his term as well....

I very well may end up one of the folks you speak of on a ventilator with bed sores gasping for breath.... I'm not ignorant I realize this, is it what I want???? of course not, should I try to change that destiny?? of course I should.... What would it take and why don't I????? seems like pretty straight forward common sense, I can't answer that, I don't know why...

I try to be a courtious smoker and not bother others with my habbit... my whole argument in this debate has been the freedom to choose, not the merrits of smoking. Smoking may be poor example but none the less it is a choice & a freedom.... Governments want to ban it in parks and outdoor venues now, yet they will spray those same parks and venues with pesticide, again it's a difficult freedom to defend but a freedom none the less... In my opinion knowing now what we do about smoking manufacture of cigarettes should be banned and then I would be forced to quit....but then what state would our healthcare system be in without the $8 per pack taxation.....

Alright.... I'm done.............

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Why don't non-smokers have a right to preach? We have to endure cigarette butts and second-hand smoke as we walk around everyday - the tolerance we show for that should allow us some lateral tolerance for preaching about it from smokers. If someone said go drink a gallon of gasoline a day and see how long you live - would anyone really do it?

There - I think I managed to alienate both sides of this argument. Mission accomplished.:beer:

Good point....only it's flawed, You are painting all smokers with the same brush, seems to me we protest when groups do this to us as sledders..... I don't know a lot of smokers anymore but I know the wife myself and MM#'s don't toss our butts, if there is no ashtray they end up in my pocket, and as for second hand smoke I try to ensure I'm a reasonable distance from people.... I won't walk down a crowded sidewalk smoking...

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
men with long fingernails!! short and dirty is what I like!!

:PDT_kap: I smoke.......and I drive a van with 3 kids.............

Confessional i guess

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score