Pet Peeves!!

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my pet peeve is people that think they rule the world because think they are better then us

im mildly allergic to cigarette smoke but i'll tell you right now if i ever seen someone pull someone else out of a car(especially a single mother of 3 kids smoking in a mini van) because they are smoking with their kids in the car. they wouldn't have to worry about teaching said mother a lesson because they'd be going in a pine box and i'd gladly be going to a concrete cell.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't let my health issues influence what I think about others doing what they do either...I just avoid it for my own well-being. Don't really care what others do to themselves or whoever they are responsible for, that's their choice. I see a mother smoking in a van with 3 kids...I think, their choice, their life. Just wished my mother didn't do it when I was a kid.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate that 7-11 is closed.... Like jeeze, how hard is it to supply the world with slurpees and greasy chicken products!

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my pet peeve is people that think they rule the world because think they are better then us

im mildly allergic to cigarette smoke but i'll tell you right now if i ever seen someone pull someone else out of a car(especially a single mother of 3 kids smoking in a mini van) because they are smoking with their kids in the car. they wouldn't have to worry about teaching said mother a lesson because they'd be going in a pine box and i'd gladly be going to a concrete cell.

Really? you didint get the part where I said I was being dramatic to make a point? for real? hahaha

Lets clear something up right now for those who seem to be overly sensitive.

I would never hit a woman. Trust me, I've take my share of physical abuse from more than one woman. Ever see a dude get smacked, or a drink thrown in his face, and just look to the floor? Cause he just wont hit her back? Yeah, thats me!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Really? you didint get the part where I said I was being dramatic to make a point? for real? hahaha

I would never hit a woman. Trust me, I've take my share of physical abuse from more than one woman. Ever see a dude get smacked, or a drink thrown in his face, and just look to the floor? Cause he just wont hit her back? Yeah, thats me!

IMSICK was beat up by a fat chick......... So I'm told.....

No oversensitivity here.... you say something....I object...you object...jerome objects...cycle objects.... ect...ect...ect.... we don't all have to agree on chit.... I didn't figure you would literally pull someone from their vehicle, but figured I'd call you on it anyway....just to see....:p

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

No oversensitivity here.... you say something....I object...you object...jerome objects...cycle objects.... ect...ect...ect.... we don't all have to agree on chit.... I didn't figure you would literally pull someone from their vehicle, but figured I'd call you on it anyway....just to see....:p

That was Barney that did that to him!! :rolling:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bogger;771447[B said:
]..IMSICK was beat up by a fat chick....... So I'm told.....[/B]

He was, I was there to see it (The one time in Mcbride anyway).There may have been other times.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You missed the point that I explained a couple times. If a women wants to smoke with THEIR kids in the car, whatever that's there choice. I mean if some women was taking care of MY kids in their car smoking.....that is when we would have a big problem.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In a case like that, never. But as far as never ever hitting a women, I wouldn't say that. Some really extreme case I am sure I could.

It is BS though, women wanted to be treated equal, but if a women even punches a guy in the face and he reacts anywhere close to inkind he's getting arrested. Another good pet peeve of mine!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I object!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• Iobject.jpg
    Iobject.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 132

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, as a Respiratory Therapist, a mother, a non-smoker and an over-opinionated human being in general, I am going to weigh in on the smoking issue:

Couple little factoids:

1. We all know that mothers who smoke during pregnancy experience a higher risk of developing complications during pregnancy than those who don't. BUT DID YOU KNOW that researchers have actually filmed and proven that when a pregnant mother smokes the FETUS IN UTERO IS ACTUALLY SEEN TO GASP?!? An unborn child does "practice breathing" and it has been proven that the fetus will hold its proverbial breath when exposed to cigarette smoke... pretty powerful evidence that we go against nature when we expose our kids.

2. The lung contains clusters of grape-like structures known as alveoli where oxygen and carbon dioxide are exchanged across the lung tissue to the blood, and vice versa. These alveoli are not fully formed until a child is 8 years old. Exposure to second hand cigarette smoke before the age of 8 is setting this child up for a lifetime of potential issues.

OKAY, so those are my interesting tidbits... now my opinion based on my professional and personal experiences:

I have watched countless people die long, drawn out deaths on ventilators of COPD, lung cancer, strokes and heart disease etc., Smoking is a direct cause of all of these. Sure, spending 3 months on a ventilator with a hole in your throat for an RT to suction snot out of is disgusting... Granted, the pressure sore that develops on your buttocks and the back of your head is starting to smell as you slowly waste away in a hospital bed... But truly, the suffering you experience from a life spent smoking is nothing compared to the grief of those left behind. I have been present when families are told that their loved one can't be saved and waited with the family while they said goodbye so that I could turn off the monitors and ventilator. I've extubated people so that they could say one last farewell from the bed. So when you ask me if I think you should quit smoking, the answer is 100% yes... if not for you, then at least for the ones you love.

And yes, I know... you could die in a car accident tomorrow. You could get some weird disease or other unknown condition and your life could end... so why quit smoking? We all have to go sometime right?!? Weak argument in my opinion.

As a child, a dear friend of mine died of an asthma attack in the middle of the night. I remember being on the bus the day before and complaining because we couldn't wear deodorant when she was around because it triggered her asthma. I felt selfish when I heard the news of her passing. But her parents smoked "just in the bathroom" regularly in her home... those are decisions that you just don't get to take back and regret is a cancer all its own.

All that being said, I do try very hard to understand the other side of the coin. Nicotine is one of the most powerful addictions there is. In most substance addictions, when we ingest the substance, it enters the blood stream, which activates a transmitter, which sends out a hormone, which affects a receptor, which in turn releases a desired physiological effect. It is a 'delayed' reaction. With nicotine, that chain of events is skipped. Our body actually has nicotine receptors that are immediately activated without all the intermediate steps. The more we smoke, the more receptors our body creates, so that when we stop smoking the withdrawal is more immediate and pronounced than most other addictive substances. Not to mention the psychological and social ramifications. Its a behavior. Its a lifestyle. Its physical, physiological and mental. And its a tough one to beat. I've never smoked, so I wouldnt even begin to imagine what it would be like to quit. I'll tell you this tho, take away my morning caffeine and I couldnt function at all; I have weaknesses that I'm too weak to work on myself, so I don't judge those who smoke. Period.

My mother in law smokes as much as $1200 in a month. She smokes in the house, the car, the everywhere... If you suggest quitting the thought sends her into shockwaves and she smokes twice as much to compensate for the thought! Here lies the dilmena: she is the only grandparent within 800km of our family. Do I keep my kids from seeing and knowing their grandma because I personally and professionally abhor smoking? This has been a tough battle for me. In the end, I do allow my kids to stay with her. She loves them dearly and they love her. They always come home with a runny nose and she comments every single time that they seem to be coming down with something... EERRRRRGH!! Does it bother me? He!!'s ya... is it worth the battle? I just don't know.

I guess my point is that it is easy to stand on our soapboxes and preach our opinions. Smokers don't have a right to expose others to their carcinogenic acts, especially kids who can't stand up for themselves. By the same token, we non-smokers don't have the right to stand on a soap box and declare smoking disgusting and abhorrent. Empathy and tolerance need to prevail at some point.

In the end, we all have a responsibility WHEN WE KNOW BETTER, TO DO BETTER. In my books, that just means TRY. And that's all anyone can ask.

Top Bottom