Outfitting a NEW Garage- IDEAS

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have to stick with the shorter wall due to restrictions, I would recommend scissor trusses. Gives a lot of extra overhead height and a great place to install a radiant tube...

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best thing I did...
48" outswing man doors, can't kick in as easy.

Security is tied to power too.

Skylights, $145 each from Home Depot . X 5

Central vac.

Scissor truss. Cheap up grade.

2" styrofoam under slab. I don't need or like infloor heat imo way over priced. I heat my 1440sq ft with a high efficient furnace, hanging from roof out of way. Cost $1800 installed.
Infloor eats up floor space and I was quoted $10000.

Widest garage doors I could fit.
18x12 and the wife's is 18 x 9
I also ran one row of sunshine panels in each garage door lets lots of light in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
U-Drain - Simple and Cost-Effective Floor Drainage

Heres a link to the gutter system we have used lots. When going with a longer drain slot allows you to run less slope on your floors but still enough to get rid of water. And it's easy to run small wheels over it without catching it.

U-drain works great. Not dealing with grates. Isn't actually too bad to clean. We went with white for everything for our shop and keeps it pretty bright in there. 3 stage epoxy looked good at first but starting to take its toll

image.jpg

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I passed on a few acreages last time we were shopping cause they had shops with less than 14' doors. These are also helping your resale value. A truck or big RV needs a 14' door.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you put in floor in, i would still suggest forced air, drys the place. With infloor you need a dehumidifier, parents have a 3 car with a pit, after one car and 2-3 sleds unthaw theres a ton of water. My 3 car my builder was told....3-4 times i want a pit, never got it in writing and didnt install and now garage slopes to the doors and the doors freeze to the floor and are pulling the concrete up.... Going to have to patch it and epoxy it or something now.

I also have about 14-16' and i put a 4' deep mezz in along the wall, put all the summer stuff up there in winter, and winter stuff up in summer. So many things kids have now sheesh....

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are building/ almost done our garage.
We did attached. It's a 3 car, with an extra bay at the back for the skidsteer. We went big, but in hindsight could have probably gone bigger than the 2,200 sq.ft.
Here's some of the things we did, that I'm happy with so far.
- Outlet near the floor on the inside of each overhead door (none outside, keeps the rock looking clean, but still easy to get extension cords outside
- Double outlets at 4ft high and 4 ft apart all across the back wall where the bench will eventually go
- a full 3 piece bath:
--with a large shower - especially for bathing our dog who no longer fits in the tub
-- a large laundry basin style sink
- glycol closed system slab heat. When we did this, we also upgraded the boiler so it would run our garage, our basement and also got rid of the demand water system in the house and went with a HE hot water tank that is heated by the boiler system. This was spendy, but worth it IMO.
- Space for our stand up freezer and spare fridge
- a large enclosed storage room (not built yet - but hopefully this summer, to get all the sheet out of my basement)
- High Bay lights
61RwZQfFK6L._SL1000_.jpg
these are UNREAL bright.
- We put 2 5'x5' windows - one on each end, east and west. It's nice and bright in there during the day which is great.
- belt drive door openers - so quiet
- a large LED plate style light on the far end to act as a yard light
- Security lights behind on the backside, then there's not fiddling around with lights in the winter when using skidsteer
- keyless locks on both mandoors

there's more - I just cant think of it all.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
We are building/ almost done our garage. We did attached. It's a 3 car, with an extra bay at the back for the skidsteer. We went big, but in hindsight could have probably gone bigger than the 2,200 sq.ft. Here's some of the things we did, that I'm happy with so far. - Outlet near the floor on the inside of each overhead door (none outside, keeps the rock looking clean, but still easy to get extension cords outside - Double outlets at 4ft high and 4 ft apart all across the back wall where the bench will eventually go - a full 3 piece bath: --with a large shower - especially for bathing our dog who no longer fits in the tub -- a large laundry basin style sink - glycol closed system slab heat. When we did this, we also upgraded the boiler so it would run our garage, our basement and also got rid of the demand water system in the house and went with a HE hot water tank that is heated by the boiler system. This was spendy, but worth it IMO. - Space for our stand up freezer and spare fridge - a large enclosed storage room (not built yet - but hopefully this summer, to get all the sheet out of my basement) - High Bay lights http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RwZQfFK6L._SL1000_.jpg these are UNREAL bright. - We put 2 5'x5' windows - one on each end, east and west. It's nice and bright in there during the day which is great. - belt drive door openers - so quiet - a large LED plate style light on the far end to act as a yard light - Security lights behind on the backside, then there's not fiddling around with lights in the winter when using skidsteer - keyless locks on both mandoors there's more - I just cant think of it all.
Built in wash bay?

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built in wash bay?

We don't have a wash bay, but we do have a large sump in the middle of the garage that is tied into our plumbing.
we put in a water bib right on the outside of the bathroom too, for any water needs inside the garage.

We also put an outlet up high on one wall for our TV - and left space for a couch. It's gonna be our hockey watching place :)

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, but I'm thinking of getting the plumber to come back and add that before we finish the drywall :)

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as the floor goes... Use a coloured hardener. It's a powder that gets troweled into the concrete during finishing.
It makes for a very durable surface and looks great because it has whatever colour you picked. After 35 years ours looks like the day it was poured. Epoxy won't compare.

Top Bottom