Outfitting a NEW Garage- IDEAS

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So looking at building a new garage
About 30x 50 x12' high
Looking for ideas and suggestions before I start building so everything is in the right location.

Also if you were to buy it what brand and model would you buy and why?

Some things I want to incorporate into the layout are:
- Electric Pressure Washer (no more loud gas engines)
- Mig Welder
- Plasma Cutter
- QUIET air compressor - a must...
- What can you do to the concrete floor to protect it and look nice but not cost $10000.00 to coat it???
- Where in Edmonton is the cheapest place for tube & Flat steel??
- ETC
- ETC

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4000 110v plug ins. 200 220v plug ins. 4 660v plug ins. Grate in the center over top of sump. Lots of leds lights. figure out how many you need then triple it. Compressor room. Bathroom with shower. room for couch and tv in corner. Cable. Fridge. Hoist. 200amp panel. This is a good start.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn all I have so far are the plugs lol
I have a triple garage. The owner before has a sump and drain in the centre with the whole floor sloping into it slightly. Awesome set up. Also has a sink in there too. Very nice. Also lots of light. As time goes on I will switch all to LED.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did remember to wire in a 30 amp RV plug:). It will also be completely solar powered soon.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In floor heat plus a furnace, mezzanine, I would probably want 14 or 16' ceiling,

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Overhead hoist, epoxy floor coating, smart phone enabled garage door opener, stainless steel workbench tops.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would defiantly recommend at least 14' ceiling but 16' is better. Costs very little to build higher. I wouldn't recommend in floor heat,a lot of extra cost with very little return. If on a budget go with laminated 2x8 posts 4' on centre. If you want the best go with a 4' insulted footing and grade beam foundation. U drain is a very nice way for a sump and gutter system but if on a budget it's easy to form one out of concrete.

Web Mobile

Reaction score
If in the budget, maybe think about a 6 way sky hook. Nice to back the truck in, hook onto load then move wherever one wants to. Especially in winter with big door closed. If built right can unload right upto the mezz. Powered is sweet, but chain pull works great too, no needing to wait for help to lift something.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything everyone else said...

10' doors are on my future list to back the truck in with sleds on the deck. Two steel joists with winches to lift the deck and sleds off the truck so about 2000lb capacity. Maybe wall rack for stacking sleds if no lifting. Be nice to save floor space.

A central vac, lots of wall outlets, its own sub panel as well obviously for power, a loft above at least half the garage for the boys hang out. Going to be taller and some bylaws limit height.

Lots of lighting, ceiling and maybe wall mounted, an outside heated compressor shack or a quiet one. Tire racks on the walls, a two post lift is great and a 10,000lb one isn't crazy priced. So the floor needs to be thick enough if going that route. Internet if wireless doesn't reach from the house.

Outside used oil barrel, propane/gas storage, other fuel storage, parts washer, dry racks, helmet racks, a fire proof cabinet for chemicals, oils, whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just built the same size garageacouple of years ago. I should of built it with 14-16 foot .ceilings. That way you can fit a camper or motor home in side to work on. The 10 foot x18 foot door is not tall enough. Radiant heat is also nice,however it makes noise when the tubes heat and expand.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You getting some good ideas Brian. You being a electrical guy I'm sure it will be well equipped for outlets. Drive in drive out would be a cool idea but limits your space

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watch all the hot rod and 4WD shows early Sunday mornings. Build exact copy of the shop and buy everything that you see. Done. LOL

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me being a welder 220 plugs is a must. A compressor room with a Hotsi pressure washer would be nice. And the 220 plugs would have a high circuit breaker 70amp or higher. If you plan on tig welding aluminum you need big power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom