onion lake trail

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any info on the trail into onion lake,just wondering if anyone was up last year?we want to go this summer with a couple quads and a rhino for a couple nights.thanks...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that the one at Ram Falls/
I think it opens July 1st. I rode it a couple years ago it was good.

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the Onion Lake trail south of Nordegg, it is at the Humming Bird and yes arff is right it is closed till July 1. You are better coming in past praire creek, i think the road in is better. Just past Ram Falls. :)

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know about ram falls,its off the rd deer falls road at the wapiti river camp grounds.been sleding there and flown over onion lake alot and seen the trail from the air,looks like a good ride.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the Onion Lake trail south of Nordegg, it is at the Humming Bird and yes arff is right it is closed till July 1. You are better coming in past praire creek, i think the road in is better. Just past Ram Falls. :)

We camped at humming bird a couple years ago....
Rode from the stagging area.

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know about ram falls,its off the rd deer falls road at the wapiti river camp grounds.been sleding there and flown over onion lake alot and seen the trail from the air,looks like a good ride.

I think you maybe talking about a different Onion Lake.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been a while but I remember it was a long flat dusty trail. Incredibly easy riding. It's worth going to see ram falls. Be careful where you camp though. Where we went the entrance was steep and one of the 5th wheel trailers ended up destroying the box rails on my uncles dodge dually.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
im talking about onion lake by tubler ridge.

I don't think this trail ever changes. It can be a real bitch from what I've heard. Be prepared for any and all. Makes for a long day if all goes good. I've never had the urge to try it....maybe one day :beer:

Not to sure if it's marked very well on the O-jay for the trail head. I can never see it when I drive by but allways thought it was at the 25-26 marker just before the Y down to the Wapiti campsite.

Good luck and take lots of pics if you go :beer:

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That rhino is going to take a beating,.. it's white knuckle with a quad,.. I could never imagine taking a UTV.

jazzman

Reaction score
Three of us went year before last, good time. But it was pretty dry. Make sure you pack fuel! I think the muskeg could be bad when its wet. It is a challenge. That rhino my have some trouble. There are some good side hills and shale slides and tight spots in the trees. He may be alright. A friend of mine lost his honda 1/2 way in on a big shale slide. They could not get it out untill winter. We camped down at the wapiti river by the bridge to the left at the y. We rode from there down to the belcourt falls as well that was nice to see. We just stayed in a incolsed trailer. I would not pound a holiday trailer in there the road is bad. Good time!!!:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::cool:
Let me know how you make out we want to go back this summer!

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

last i heard it was pretty tore up last few km's to the lake was rugged

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya sorry tumbler ridge...sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth,i think we will just take the chopper lol...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya sorry tumbler ridge...sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth,i think we will just take the chopper lol...

yes i know was just giving you the gears. there is also a onion lake west of rocky mtn house. cheers:d:beer::beer:

mountainmonster

Reaction score
We've been in lots with quads and always had a good time, some mechanical failure's due to the fact it is a tough go and we tried doing it in one day. It was an 18 hr round trip that time, ever since that trip we just spend the night at the lake, it's 21 km one way to the lake.

This summer we are going to take a teryx and a ranger in with us and the only spot that i would be concerned about is a short narrow rock shelf that cuts across one ridge, i know that an argo with tracks made it in and out so there should be no problem. A spare tire would be a good idea as there is some good boulder strewn trenches to navigate on the decent to the lake.

Good Luck

Top Bottom