Official 2015/2016 Fernie conditions

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Drove through Fernie last night and aside from the water levels still being way down it looked and felt like summer. No snow down low anymore by the looks of things

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Yes Luke, the temps have done a number on the lower levels. Haven't been up since the 17th of March (changed tires, Costco run, book keeping and taxes, Klim warranty paper work, one day power raking front grass, etc.. too much to doo to ride?). I will be out a little more as I am bored and in limbo.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get out tomorrow in the Pass/Fernie area if anyone has room for one more to tag along. Shoot me PM if you like.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headed up to coal creek/rolling hills tomorrow is there any snow left. How far past first parking lot is the drive.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode in Rolling Hills on Sunday. The yellow gates were locked on Corbin road so we had to run quite a ways down the logging road past the tin shack before we could unload. There wasn't much of a river crossing left then, probably gone by now. Found some pretty decent snow so had a good day anyway, probably will be the last ride for the year the way the temps are looking in the forecast.

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was really hoping there would be enough I could maybe get a ride it may. Looks like it's a possibility? Too bad I rolled the side by side and turned my hand into robo claw. Great looking conditions still.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was really hoping there would be enough I could maybe get a ride it may. Looks like it's a possibility? Too bad I rolled the side by side and turned my hand into robo claw. Great looking conditions still.

There will be riding in May for sure

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How late into may does the snow usually last? Elkford or Fernie?

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Elkford loses access early because of the rocky trail but most areas around Fernie you can ride into June if your a diehard
Good to know. If all goes well Just maybe I'll get a ride in this season. Have fun tomorrow.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Rode the smoke infested (prescribed burn in the Elko area according to our waitress last night) Coal Creek Valley yesterday. As bopper mentioned, great spring riding with a late start and late finish. Start later so the snow softens up and ride later as the sun is still shining. The tree wells are starting to enlarge, some holes are opening up on the creeks due to the water starting to flow, and the cornices are dropping (albeit, not as pronounced as I thought it would be). The food for that special "species of convenience" is growing leaps and bounds. Temps up top were +6 to +9 and it was +9 when we got back to the trucks. Staged just before the third bridge on Coal Creek (first bridge past Matheson) and had no dirt to ride. Trailers were parked at the Matheson corner and there were 9 rigs that staged at Coal Creek yesterday.

IMG_4256.jpg IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg IMG_4250.jpg

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just in case you need a reason to join the Fernie snowmobile association next year, this ride up at island lake lodge is well worth it! I never knew Fernie had this type of terrain! Also hooked up with fellow member sc800 today for an absolutely perfect day on the snow.

4a5d9829829ad46313489947908a33f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool pics bopper. What date does island lake open to sledding. Do you need to ask the cat ski operation for permission? Would be cool idea if they stayed open a couple extra weekends after skiing shuts down for some 'bed to sled' riding

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool pics bopper. What date does island lake open to sledding. Do you need to ask the cat ski operation for permission? Would be cool idea if they stayed open a couple extra weekends after skiing shuts down for some 'bed to sled' riding

They open to the Fernie snowmobile club for a weekend of riding and staying at the lodge, they feed us like kings and we stay right on the mountain, the lodge will be closed when we are done riding today until the summer season

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great pics, glad you guys are have a great time, thanks again for helping hook me up with parts sat. keep the pics coming

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
They open to the Fernie snowmobile club for a weekend of riding and staying at the lodge, they feed us like kings and we stay right on the mountain, the lodge will be closed when we are done riding today until the summer season

Yes, this year it was open to FSA members and non-members and you have to stay overnight. Limited numbers were also set; I think I read somewhere that the number was 30 riders.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, this year it was open to FSA members and non-members and you have to stay overnight. Limited numbers were also set; I think I read somewhere that the number was 30 riders.
32 riders and they had room for 36. Great time had buy all! Food was unreal!

Top Bottom