Official 2015/2016 Fernie conditions

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As far a hazards go, I was in a meadow on Saturday and there was a gnarly stump up above the snow about 60 cm. I personally know about this stump. In a normal winter it is well covered. So, IMHO, it isn't there quite yet. Tread lightly and in particular when going down hill.

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow was awesome today.

fernie.jpg

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great video t3. Sounds like you have some belt deflection that needs adjusting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well 3 day in a row and did not disappoint! Hammered all our stashes again today and only heard 1 snow bike in the distance! Parking lot was very full and trail was very smooth up and down! All pictures are from today as did not take the time to stop Monday and Tuesday. Some great pulls and buddy blew a belt after some steep and deep pulls.
853a17ae958b5c1022e9880bc17e725c.jpg
17346c96eaf34462e0c140190eec1c0e.jpg
ec6b6a7e0cdfabae44083e9a5901a90e.jpg
59e05318ff1e4122a5305854d0d40ba9.jpg

Reaction score
Website
www.elkvalleysnowshepherds.com
No doubt about it...conditions in Fernie are epic right now. HS's between 150 at lower elevations up to 2m+ in the alpine. Summer logging has opened up some great new cutblocks in low angle terrain (watch out for slash piles still burning under the snow...only small vents visible). We have found good snow stability all over the Elk Valley this week (no results on CT's or sledcuts); always check the Avalanche Canada bulletin before heading out. AvCanSouthRockies is offering another FREE Backcountry Avalanche Workshop Jan 7th @7pm at the Fernie Golf Course...I'm sure they'll post here about it soon - definitely a must attend event. Those gals work hard to collect field observations, create awesome conditions blogs, and do community outreach events to help keep you all safe and informed. Show up and show support for all they do for us. Lots of traffic over Christmas Holidays but we have been riding fresh pow every day since the first snow in December. Still logging up the Matheson Drainage and Coal Creek (area closed to snowmobile traffic as per the FSA). With all this pressure on Morrissey someone should start a new thread...Staging Area Etiquette 101.

P1019798.jpg

Last edited:

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Luke are you unable to ride this year?
Not unless there is still rideable snow in may?! Brain docs say 1 full year without a concussion before I can get going with sledding again which is may. So thanks for posting, keeps my motivation going!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well 3 day in a row and did not disappoint! Hammered all our stashes again today and only heard 1 snow bike in the distance! Parking lot was very full and trail was very smooth up and down! All pictures are from today as did not take the time to stop Monday and Tuesday. Some great pulls and buddy blew a belt after some steep and deep pulls. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151231/853a17ae958b5c1022e9880bc17e725c.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151231/17346c96eaf34462e0c140190eec1c0e.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151231/ec6b6a7e0cdfabae44083e9a5901a90e.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151231/59e05318ff1e4122a5305854d0d40ba9.jpg
Was definitely a wicked couple of days! Glad the ol belt blew at the end of the day. made it 1000 k on that belt so can't complain.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not unless there is still rideable snow in may?! Brain docs say 1 full year without a concussion before I can get going with sledding again which is may. So thanks for posting, keeps my motivation going!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

My girlfriend is still recovering from a major concussion. 54 weeks so far and was able to do a little trail ride this past weekend.

It's a long recovery process and a tough one as people cannot see your symptoms so they don't understand.

Get well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went out to Leach Ridge today because we thought it might provide some good riding during this busy season...it is off the beaten track and if you are first in and don't know the way, you wont find it . Holy crap batman...someone beat us to it...and beat it up. Looks like they had a good time. Still some fresh, but it was worked over.

We got out late...around noon, and there were only two rigs in the official staging at Coal Creek. We parked at the old staging area at Km 37.5 and there was not another vehicle...didn't see anyone parked at the Matheson turn off either. Did everyone go home? Or were lots of people at Morrissey tody? Also did not hear any commercial traffic on the VHF radio.

Going to the secret spot tomorrow...hope its still a secret :)

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Went out to Leach Ridge today because we thought it might provide some good riding during this busy season...it is off the beaten track and if you are first in and don't know the way, you wont find it . Holy crap batman...someone beat us to it...and beat it up. Looks like they had a good time. Still some fresh, but it was worked over.

We got out late...around noon, and there were only two rigs in the official staging at Coal Creek. We parked at the old staging area at Km 37.5 and there was not another vehicle...didn't see anyone parked at the Matheson turn off either. Did everyone go home? Or were lots of people at Morrissey tody? Also did not hear an commercial traffic on the VHF radio.

Going to the secret spot tomorrow...hope its still a secret :)

It has been ridden pretty much all over. Still some untracked on the left and right of the Notch and in the Blueberry.

Supposed to be logging until mid January so Coal Creek will not have much traffic. Morrissey has been a zoo............:d

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the road plowed to up coal ck? Is it plowed up the Matheson? I get home tonight, I guess I can go and look tomorrow.

It has been ridden pretty much all over. Still some untracked on the left and right of the Notch and in the Blueberry.

Supposed to be logging until mid January so Coal Creek will not have much traffic. Morrissey has been a zoo............:d

Top Bottom