nytro down falls what r they

grizzly 378

Reaction score
hi boys this is my first post so bear with me i currently ride a 08 skidoo 800r 154 summit it is a awsome sled but i am a yammy guy(i love my 660 griz but thats another story) what r the cons they all got one i know ther heavy but with 220+ hp i can deal with that. i heard the tunnls r heavy are they that way for strenght? i am 6'5 300 lb so i want more power and a longer track(162").what about the suspention.so lets be honest here.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi boys this is my first post so bear with me i currently ride a 08 skidoo 800r 154 summit it is a awsome sled but i am a yammy guy(i love my 660 griz but thats another story) what r the cons they all got one i know ther heavy but with 220+ hp i can deal with that. i heard the tunnls r heavy are they that way for strenght? i am 6'5 300 lb so i want more power and a longer track(162").what about the suspention.so lets be honest here.

They suck when there stuck.

Sent from a iPhone

confused?

Reaction score
Well it's all on how u look at it... If u are caPable and have the money def get a nytro, they are the best sleds on the market in my opinion just need some work. If u want a fast sled look at ac just remember u can't gaurentte u will come home with ur sled still working. The 08 nytros have weak subframes, and the rest have snow build up, ice on running boards, small gas tanks, and their heavy but then again they have mods to fix that o and trail steering is bad and 08s dont track straight

grizzly 378

Reaction score
i was thinking of a new sled with boost and r they a strong frame/tunnel im a heavy boy

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a nytro and im only 5'9 130 lbs and i go every where all the new doo cats and polaris's the biggest thing that bothers me is the ice on the side of the of the running boards but thats not to much of a big deal and because your a bigger guy you probably wouldnt notice the weight difference but i strongly recomend a steering post relocater it males the sled more feel so much better when side hilling and just riding in the deep pow. All i do when i go to the hills is play in the trees also i love this sled

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a nytro and im only 5'9 130 lbs and i go every where all the new doo cats and polaris's the biggest thing that bothers me is the ice on the side of the of the running boards but thats not to much of a big deal and because your a bigger guy you probably wouldnt notice the weight difference but i strongly recomend a steering post relocater it males the sled more feel so much better when side hilling and just riding in the deep pow. All i do when i go to the hills is play in the trees also i love this sled

stock nytro? your not going anywhere near the new 2 smokes. just sayin. 180 kit + different story

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well its not quite stock i was tired when i wrote that i got around 150 hp and yeah i go all the same places and i got way more reliability then the 2 strokes and stock a nytro has 138hp and 110 foot pounds of tourqe your 2 stroke doesnt have that much tourqe and so i use my tourqe over the hp just saying but what ever it a sled they all ot there problems and advantages

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
yammyboy, ya diggin yourself a deeper hole! :)

grizzly... since your thinking boosted, you should be alright. stock nytro is a dud esp at elevation. lean towards a 2010+ cause they have a light skid, better attack angle and fox floats. change the skis, floorboards, gas and go! if you have the coin.... you can shave off 50lbs no problem.

grizzly 378

Reaction score
how much hp can u get on pump gas 250-280hp is what i herd. at that leavel what is the lifespan of the motor. and to loose 50lbs what must u do and how much.from what i herd they weigh 510lbs is that true.what about fuel tank size are they to small at 7.5 gallons i do 100-150 km when i ride.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
240 kit is safe on pump fuel... with 270 your vocabulary will include C16... all depends how far you want to push the boundaries

battery,a-arm kit and skid will get you closer to a loss of about 40#. cost +/-3000$ depends how fancy you go... that is you already have the fox floats. shocks arent cheap

the tanks are small compared to 12g of the 2smokes. 7.5G plus 2G spare gets 130km MAX deep-pow days much less

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I ride an 08 Nytro you can boost those babies to the moon and you are not going to address the fundamental problem with those sleds.....the issue with handling. I have finally had a chance to have some seat time on my new sled with the mods we did to it this summer and it finally handles like a true mountain machine! I rode my sled bone stock for 2 years then did a few changes and this year did the full monty and OMG I love that thing!!!!

First things first change out that front suspension you have GOT to get those skis out from underneath that engine compartment and then do something about that rear suspension. I went with a K-Mod rear suspension with raptor shocks and I am in love! The other thing that has my attention is the airframe running boards. I kept ordering and ordering sets in but never had them in stock long enough to actually get a set on my sled. I always carried a stick in my pack and everytime we stopped I was furiously scraping the ice and snow off my boards....NO MORE!!!! I love those boards...why didn't you guys tell me how great those things were sooner?????

One other change I am going to make is my seat. I had Skinz build me a custom seat and I thought I had found heaven in that seat until I tried the freeride let me tell you that freeride is going to become permanently attached to my sled once I am 100% for sure done riding with kids. That seat flat out rocks it is soooo easy to get from side to side...oh I am in love all over again......

I can finally take my sled anywhere I want to without worrying about it getting stuck...well other than from a rider issue....LOL!

Jan

powder muncher

Reaction score
yammyboy, ya diggin yourself a deeper hole! :)

grizzly... since your thinking boosted, you should be alright. stock nytro is a dud esp at elevation. lean towards a 2010+ cause they have a light skid, better attack angle and fox floats. change the skis, floorboards, gas and go! if you have the coin.... you can shave off 50lbs no problem.

Not sure he is digging as much as you think-------at 130 pounds with a well set up nytro especially if he has a different rear skid and track he will be able to hang with any stock 2 smoker that has a rider in the 200 pound range--remember that weight stuff.

I ride with a guy with a lightly moded 08 Nytro -- K mod skid some lightweight stuff shorter fox floats in the frond it is one sweet handling sled and he is always there just cant shake him . Not always the high-mark guy , but always right there.

In snow drags the 800s have a real hard time with him, last race last year 3 place in the 800 mods in snow drags .

The guy weighs about 60 70 pounds less than most other riders that makes the power to weight real even right there.

powder muncher

Reaction score
Apex responds to lightweight stuff better than the Nytro.

Mine is 550 with the tank almost dry but all other fluids up that is with a supercharger on it.

I am doing a few more mods and will weigh it after that.

My last build was a RX1 turbo that came in at just right at 500 pounds with a 151 track.

The supercharger will always be heavier but just under 600 wet is within reach.

Long story short you can get a Apex down to almost the same weight as the Nytro --- and it sounds so good with 4 cylinders .

whiskeythrottle

Reaction score
Nytro's are great, but only a 15 wide track. If your a bigger guy, an Apex is a better choice as it has a 16 wide track and is better in the deep stuff. Don't worry about the weight, you'll be able to throw it around, just need a good tall riser to make it work for you. It might be a heavier sled, but all you need to do is add more boost! It's amazing how boost makes a heavy sled feel light. (Until you get stuck) Lightweight parts are great if your a lighter guy on groomed trails and deep pow all day, but if your a heavier rider and you ride in the rough stuff, it may not hold up as well as the stock skid and a'arms. I'm 6'2" and 240 and I have no trouble riding my S/C apex in the trees or hillclimbing. Plus it's got that "damn this thing makes me smile" fun factor every time you squeeze the throttle!!

Top Bottom