Sled Pricing and Base Models - What do you really want in a sled?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest - sled pricing is becoming a rich man's sport. I'm looking to gauge peoples interests in what they really want in a sled. I may send a link to the manufacturers back to this thread if we get enough positive feedback, we'll see what is said first. I don't want a b!tch session or your opinions on who has the best pricing, let's make this productive. I see sledding as a dying sport if only the elite can afford it. With the price of fuel and accomodations, the distant future is uncertain for sledding. I would love for my grandkids to be able to sled, in very much the same way I do now, but I fear that may not be. I think sledders would have more public favour if more people sledded and the only way to do that is to get pricing in line with average family recreation. Public favour is what will keep our riding areas open.

I would like to see the manufacturers offer sleds in a base model - with appropriate pricing for upgrades. I'm not a fancy guy, I don't need $400 worth of decals and logos, or $1000 super fancy shocks, or $1000 electric start. Honestly, even though they are standard now on all sleds, I don't even care about handwarmers or 4 beam halogen headlights. Give me two bulbs and I'm good to go, I spend very minimal time riding in the dark. I usually strip my decals anyway so I don't care about the "flashy" look.

Can the manufacturers not offer a stock sled with no decals and no options for a basement price to get more people into the sport and keep it economical for those still trying to enjoy our sport on a moderate budget? If those that want to upgrade every part and piece can afford to do so, by all means let them. It would just mean having a few more options.

As an example - I would love to see the new E-tec 800 in a stripped version of the XP, available for somewhere south of $12,000. I did the Ski Doo online sled build for the Summit Everest, my price comes in at $13,699 for a 163" 800R (not even the E-tec). The price increases to $14,200 if I want the E-tec, and it only comes in a 154", unless you spring ordered which bumps the price to a whopping $15,200. I'd love to buy an E-tec in the XP chassis on a 163" chassis, with standard shocks and no decals for less than $12,000.

Honestly I'm a mountain rider. Most of my riding is deep powder and hills.
Apart from the odd bumpy trail, I'm not snowcrossing. Give me a good set of gas shocks and I'll be happy, I don't need a race package. The base model Summit SP comes with a handling package and trick shocks, which are nice but again, base model price is $13,400 and it only comes in the 154". Arctic Cat and Polaris are the same - AC comes with the Fox Zero Pro's on the standard model 162" M8.

Unfortunately I hear it more and more where people are not purchasing new sleds, the price is just to high. Some others getting out of the sport completely as it's hard to justify spending $14,000 on a sled, riding it for 4 months and then watching it depreciate. I know its a sport and sometimes you have to be willing to pay to play, but sometimes you have to take a step back and look at things as well. Sure sleds are lighter these days, and I'm saying there shouldn't be an increase in price over 10 yrs ago, but some of that came from engineering, not from exotic materials on the sled like titanium. Let's hear from you guys.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the same snowdrift, want a newone but dont want the 14g+ for it payments. would be nicee to see astripped down 800 or so like you said under the 12000 mark. i ride mostly out in the flats so even an mxz would be good. a 136x16 still has the same amount of rubber on the snow as my 151 x15 anyways. or really close. they should have a600 avail for under 10. for current model yr and new unit. i know last year they were "blowing out" some at just under 10 but that was yr old model and totally base unit with elec start reverse etc. you said it good in your post modman.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. I don't need any fancy gizmos. Yes, the altimeter and such on the X package (Doo) would be sweet, but is it worth spending an extra $3000? Not to me. I know you get a hole pile of other stuff with that 3gs, but none of that matters to me either. I am content with my Everest's shocks, and if I choose to upgrade, I can.

I can see the reluctance though. Could you imagine putting another line into their sleds? A bare bones model, a middle of the road model, and the top end model. In the end, I don't see anyone saving any money with an idea like that. Alternatively, if they only offered a bare bones, and a super done up version, people will still complain if they couldn't afford the top end, but wanted more than just a bare bones sled.

So while I agree, and would be a target customer for a bare bones sled, I can see why the manufacturers wouldn't do things that way.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you take off the Summit Everest to make it more 'bare bones'? Why do you think you need the e-tec if you don't want to pay for anything fancy. The powertec works just fine and is $1000 less and has been out for years.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I gotta say Polaris really had a good idea going with the Shift line, but I think they dropped it because of a LACK OF INTEREST coupled with the cost of building a full line of machines that are basically designed to bring less income to the company. Sleds are getting more expensive for us because 1. materials and production costs are getting more expensive for the manufacturers and 2. the public is always a sucker for new technology. I agree it would be nice if we had base models to build on (similar to vehicles; add your options as you please) but then everyone would have to essentially snow check exactly the sled they want. Practicality is just not there. :twocents:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya.. i agree sled pricing is getting higher and higher, but i also can remember when you can get a new truck for 6 or 7 k...... ok it was a while ago. but thats why we sold 170 new non current sleds last yr ......and yes we were lucky....

really a new 08 m1000 for under 10k tax in or a 2010 for 14k pdi and tax....

im sure the rebates will be on the new ones(non currents) again. this I know Yamaha has already released new big rebates and we have a full page ad in the auto-trader should also be up on our website..today or tommorrow..

any questions, give us a call.

Terry

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets look at this from another perspective though...

I am far from a rich man, I work hard to play harder. I do own a newer sled, but thats a choice I made because of my passion for the sport. There is of course the desire to own "new" all the time. I likely could own a new sled every season, if I put all my eggs into one basket, but I have other passions which also costs money. For me sledding is my number one favorite past time which occupies 7 months (if I am lucky) of a year and gets more of my available cash.

When I have gone to the interior of BC, Nelson and other such areas, I rarely see new sleds. There have been days that a Z chassis Doo was the newest sled I seen. But when I sled in Albertan dominated areas, like Revy, Golden and such, I see many more higher valued sleds. Is it because there is more money in AB to spend on sleds? Or is it because many Albertan's have to be better than the next guy? The people on the older sleds are having just as much fun as the next guy.

There are people get out of the sport because they can't justify spending $14,000 on a new sled? Who is twisting their arm into believing they need to buy a new sled? Wants vs. Needs vs. realistic expectations.

Then you look at mountain riders as a whole. Flatland riders out number mountain riders by 100/1 I am sure. I don't have statistical figures to confirm that, but I did grow up in an area other than BC/AB where there are many more sledders. Using Doo as an example, you are primarily a mountain rider by your own choice. Is Doo going to build another series of sled for mountain riders? Oh wait they did. They gave people the Freeride Summit. A beefed up version of the Summit. Why? Because there was more push from the target buyers to add a beefed up sled than a model that was less optioned.

If I was a manufacturer, who am I going to cater to? I doo believe of the available brands out there, doo does have the most models already. How many domestic car manufacurers have bare bones cars anymore? I believe almost all new vehicles have pretty much all the standard power options now. Does a Chevy 1500 that was $5200 in 1982 still cost relatively the same? Heck No! I am sure sticker price is around $25,000, it likely comes with power windows too. Nearly 5 times the price. I am sure some people will argue you can't use automotive pricing to compare. Anyhow you look at it, inflation is real. Why should one industry increase at a lesser rate than another?

So on to what I would really want on a new sled I suppose....

I really enjoy having an actual suspension verses boggie wheels I had on my 35 year old sled...
I really enjoy having heated grips, vs a solid steel bar on my 30 year old sled...
Its great having the power of an 800 liquid cooled, oil injected 150hp motor, vs a 50 hp 440 fan cooled motor in my 25 year old sled...
I can't believe where I can go with a 2.5X16X154 inch track vs my 121" 3/4 on my 20 year old sled...

Its great knowing I can order parts off the internet and have them at my doorstep within a few days for my newer sled, vs 15 years ago. Man to think I had to call people up and wait 6 weeks for coil pack. Spoiled I know!

I know Modman not what you wanted to read, but it should atleast make you laugh.

Could I be happy with a sub $10,000 sled, oh heck yah! Do I need a $14,000 sled, of course not. Could they build a sled to meet the vast population of sledders needs and wants by having it bare bones? And offer options for the sled to be built as ordered? I would love it. Is it going to happen? I think if it did, they would attact a lot of new buyers from other brands. But who am I? Were just a bunch of Podunks.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am far from a rich man, I work hard to play harder. I do own a newer sled, but thats a choice I made because of my passion for the sport. There is of course the desire to own "new" all the time. I likely could own a new sled every season, if I put all my eggs into one basket, but I have other passions which also costs money. For me sledding is my number one favorite past time which occupies 7 months (if I am lucky) of a year and gets more of my available cash.

When I have gone to the interior of BC, Nelson and other such areas, I rarely see new sleds. There have been days that a Z chassis Doo was the newest sled I seen. But when I sled in Albertan dominated areas, like Revy, Golden and such, I see many more higher valued sleds. Is it because there is more money in AB to spend on sleds? Or is it because many Albertan's have to be better than the next guy? The people on the older sleds are having just as much fun as the next guy.

There are people get out of the sport because they can't justify spending $14,000 on a new sled? Who is twisting their arm into believing they need to buy a new sled? Wants vs. Needs vs. realistic expectations.

Then you look at mountain riders as a whole. Flatland riders out number mountain riders by 100/1 I am sure. I don't have statistical figures to confirm that, but I did grow up in an area other than BC/AB where there are many more sledders. Using Doo as an example, you are primarily a mountain rider by your own choice. Is Doo going to build another series of sled for mountain riders? Oh wait they did. They gave people the Freeride Summit. A beefed up version of the Summit. Why? Because there was more push from the target buyers to add a beefed up sled than a model that was less optioned.

If I was a manufacturer, who am I going to cater to? I doo believe of the available brands out there, doo does have the most models already. How many domestic car manufacurers have bare bones cars anymore? I believe almost all new vehicles have pretty much all the standard power options now. Does a Chevy 1500 that was $5200 in 1982 still cost relatively the same? Heck No! I am sure sticker price is around $25,000, it likely comes with power windows too. Nearly 5 times the price. I am sure some people will argue you can't use automotive pricing to compare. Anyhow you look at it, inflation is real. Why should one industry increase at a lesser rate than another?

I really enjoy having an actual suspension verses boggie wheels I had on my 35 year old sled...
I really enjoy having heated grips, vs a solid steel bar on my 30 year old sled...
Its great having the power of an 800 liquid cooled, oil injected 150hp motor, vs a 50 hp 440 fan cooled motor in my 25 year old sled...
I can't believe where I can go with a 2.5X16X154 inch track vs my 121" 3/4 on my 20 year old sled...

Its great knowing I can order parts off the internet and have them at my doorstep within a few days for my newer sled, vs 15 years ago. Man to think I had to call people up and wait 6 weeks for coil pack. Spoiled I know!

I know Modman not what you wanted to read, but it should atleast make you laugh.

Could I be happy with a sub $10,000 sled, oh heck yah! Do I need a $14,000 sled, of course not. Could they build a sled to meet the vast population of sledders needs and wants by having it bare bones? And offer options for the sled to be built as ordered? I would love it. Is it going to happen? I think if it did, they would attact a lot of new buyers from other brands. But who am I? Were just a bunch of Podunks.

I agree, with you . I thinks thats why the new noncurrents are so popular...alot less money for a loaded up unit.... besides the non currents are still new....... besides i can still do alot with the extra 4 grande....as im sure we all could...

there are still those who want the latest and greatest...and were here for you too..lol....

T

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you take off the Summit Everest to make it more 'bare bones'? Why do you think you need the e-tec if you don't want to pay for anything fancy. The powertec works just fine and is $1000 less and has been out for years.

Exactly the things JaySimon is talking about, plus the items in my post above. I could care less about fancy shocks, fancy gauges, decals and graphics and a few other things. Nowaday's most people get their sled home from the dealer and start cutting panels to put a vent kit in, so their graphics have to come off or get cut up anyway, why not save the price of them on the sled and the cost for someone to install them?

I would buy the powertek if I was going that way, but it would sure be nice to have the e-tec for reduced emissions, fuel economy and maintenance costs. It's not about building a mid-1990's sled - the new technology is great, but do I care if my sled has a computerized data logger? No. I'd like to spend the $$$ on the motor and not on adjustable risers or other stuff that's not as important to me.

The 350 cubic inch V8 has also been around for 30 yrs and it still runs good, but if you were buying a new truck would you want the new Vortec or the 70's model? Saving on the stuff that I didn't want on the sled would also allow me to do more of the aftermarket upgrades I wanted instead. GOT 174"? LOL

This won't be for everyone, it's just something I threw out there. I loved the idea of Polaris Shift line, where you could basically build a sled you wanted. I wish many of the other manufacturers, had or will do this. I understand this may not work in real life, but let's face it, sledding is a luxury most of us enjoy. If you had to choose something to give up that was a luxury in your life, say between your car to get you to work everyday and your sled, well..we all know which one it's going to be. So being able to reduce the initial huge input cost I feel would help the sport.

Yes there are rebates every year, but you are still buying a showroom sled and potentially settling for a shorter track, different motor, etc. Besides, if they're going to rebate them anyway, why not just offer them at that price to begin with?

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya.. i agree sled pricing is getting higher and higher, but i also can remember when you can get a new truck for 6 or 7 k...... ok it was a while ago. but thats why we sold 170 new non current sleds last yr ......and yes we were lucky....

really a new 08 m1000 for under 10k tax in or a 2010 for 14k pdi and tax....

im sure the rebates will be on the new ones(non currents) again. this I know Yamaha has already released new big rebates and we have a full page ad in the auto-trader should also be up on our website..today or tommorrow..

any questions, give us a call.

Terry
Keep the updates coming Terry!!! I am still looking for a machine for the right price :)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey I got an open mind man!! Everyone's entitled - it's all good ideas!! :D

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you want a naked sled, i think truimp had a naked street bike. wait till 011 parts list comes out then subtract the naked stuff like decals, hood foam, and other things a person doesn't really need. then see what the price could have been maybe.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly the things JaySimon is talking about, plus the items in my post above. I could care less about fancy shocks, fancy gauges, decals and graphics and a few other things. Nowaday's most people get their sled home from the dealer and start cutting panels to put a vent kit in, so their graphics have to come off or get cut up anyway, why not save the price of them on the sled and the cost for someone to install them?

I would buy the powertek if I was going that way, but it would sure be nice to have the e-tec for reduced emissions, fuel economy and maintenance costs. It's not about building a mid-1990's sled - the new technology is great, but do I care if my sled has a computerized data logger? No. I'd like to spend the $$$ on the motor and not on adjustable risers or other stuff that's not as important to me.

The 350 cubic inch V8 has also been around for 30 yrs and it still runs good, but if you were buying a new truck would you want the new Vortec or the 70's model? Saving on the stuff that I didn't want on the sled would also allow me to do more of the aftermarket upgrades I wanted instead. GOT 174"? LOL

This won't be for everyone, it's just something I threw out there. I loved the idea of Polaris Shift line, where you could basically build a sled you wanted. I wish many of the other manufacturers, had or will do this. I understand this may not work in real life, but let's face it, sledding is a luxury most of us enjoy. If you had to choose something to give up that was a luxury in your life, say between your car to get you to work everyday and your sled, well..we all know which one it's going to be. So being able to reduce the initial huge input cost I feel would help the sport.

Yes there are rebates every year, but you are still buying a showroom sled and potentially settling for a shorter track, different motor, etc. Besides, if they're going to rebate them anyway, why not just offer them at that price to begin with?

I know what you are saying but the particular model i mentioned above doesn't have a fancy gage at all, it has very in-expensive shocks already (about the only thing cheaper would be a set of leaf springs on the skis) graphics may cost you $150 over the counter but it likely costs the manufacurer about $22. The body panels are already a lot cheaper now than hoods were in the 90s.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Good ideas guys!

I bought a 2010 Everest before March 31, 2010. It was a bare bones sled as far as BRP goes but it still had the decals, ES, all the foam (which is required for gov't regulations), nothing fancy in the gauges, and a 163" track. Brand spanking new for $10,999.....

Yes, it is a non-current but what the heck, a great price for a great sled. It is a little pricey for what Modman is asking but this day and age I took it for a sweet deal!!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good ideas guys!

I bought a 2010 Everest before March 31, 2010. It was a bare bones sled as far as BRP goes but it still had the decals, ES, all the foam (which is required for gov't regulations), nothing fancy in the gauges, and a 163" track. Brand spanking new for $10,999.....

Yes, it is a non-current but what the heck, a great price for a great sled. It is a little pricey for what Modman is asking but this day and age I took it for a sweet deal!!!!

good choice happy sledding

Mrs. Modman has Mr. moman on a budget, she knows he'll end up tearing it apart anyway. he's a madman that modman

friggin summer.

TTRC

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, My family and I love the sport but when looking at five sleds there's alot of coin laid out. I found to keep the family riding I had to shop south of the border, with their pricing being very sweet. used of course. I hear that we Canadians have that manufactures tax added on to the price tag .about 3700. to $4500 more why is that? live to ride.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just give me the following:
-Reliable engine and drivetrain
-Decent suspension that is rebuildable (one of the reasons I chose the M7, Fox Zero Pros are nice)
-Plain graphics or no graphics. Like others, I usually peel them off anyways

For what a new sled costs I expect something that will be add gas, oil, pull the rope and go right out of the box and every time I go to ride I . I don't mind doing some maintenance, that is expected but I don't think regreasing to the crank bearings (ski-doo 800R) is reasonable or other quirks that some sleds have. Its funny, we can explore space, cure various diseases but God forbid we ask the sled manufacturers to build a dead reliable 800cc twin two stroke. Some are better than others but lets face it, most sleds out there can't go much further than 2000kms without some sort component failure:rolleyes:

If things go right this summer with my finances, I'm planning on buying a new sled. I'm looking at a 2011 Pro RMK 800 155" or a 2010 M8 Sno Pro 153". Obviously the M8 will be cheaper but finding one like that this fall might be a bit tricky seeing as how leftover sleds are proving to be a popular sell. If not my M7 still runs daaaaamn good:d. I love riding with a group and getting asked if its an M8, nope. Just a little ol' 700 that keeps on groovin:beer::cool:. But backing off the sled deck instead of muscling it off would be nice for a change...:crutch:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But backing off the sled deck instead of muscling it off would be nice for a change...:crutch:

I agree with the rest of what you said, but reverse is one of those features that, now that I've used it, I don't think I would want to go without it. Its that nice :d

Top Bottom