North Dore?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Can we not DEMAND the proof to all these caribou studies? If they're not actually physically there then how can these creeps be enforcing these closures on the basis that they exist in these areas ? I want to see pictures or video of these animals in the Dore or the East Twin. I have not yet seen a caribou period while sledding any back country.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i talked to the MOF people at last years snowmobile show they had maps of all the areas and we looked at McBride and talked to the official about closures. N & S Dore and East Twin were not affected. Now they are!!! In fact what i see in the above website there looks to be 3 or 4 times more closure in the McBride/P.G. area than originally set out.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well that just wipped out all the alpine near all of the sanctioned riding areas. Must be just as disheartening for the clubs as the riders. Unbeleavable!!! Are they going to be transplanting caribou from somewhere? Are the loggers affected as they cause the most stress to any animals that do exist. Heli-ski companies are not affected. Devastating to sledders!!!!! Well that was an effective way to get rid of us. :(:(:(

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this last year on Snowest and although I know local clubs are doing their best, it seems the time has come for sledders to take a much more "agressive" stance.

"It definitely affects a few of our groups "secret" riding spots. Funny thing is, in the last couple seasons of riding these spots, we've never even seen a caribou track, much less a living, breathing caribou.

EDIT : Here's something I mentioned to my riding buds. It's quickly coming to a time when we as sledders will have no choice, but to engage in a very large display of civil disobedience. It's becoming painfully obvious that dealing with the loss of riding areas through proper channels is not working. When we as a group decide enough is enough, then it is time to get the word out by mouth, internet, etc. and get as many sledders as possible to descend at the same time on one of the recently closed areas. Makes me wonder how the authorities would deal with 1000+ sleds at one time."

Reaction score
that would be awesome, i would like to congradulate the tree huggers and air snugglers that worked so hard to shut us down, your doing a great job!!!:realmad::realmad::realmad:

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2003 there was a confirmed total of 11,623 incidents where a vehicle came into contact with a large animal in Canada. 2,346 of these were in BC. How come we can still drive on the roads???

Dam hippies! I hate granola.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
but who is going to stop you from climbing over the back?

No one is going to stop you, unless they have choppers up in the air (which they have said they will at some point next year). Then they will just meet you at your vehicles and impound your sleds. If you are caught in a caribou closure area you can be fined up to $100,000.

They are really serious about this. I guess it's your choice if you want to go there. Barry (bbtoys) fought a hard fight against the closures and we lost ALOT less area than they originally wanted to take from us. Valemount took a big hit as well.

Note: The BCSF (BC Snowmobile Federation) declined to help us out with this because McBride is such a small snowmobile club (6 members at the time) and it didn't matter to them that we have hundreds (thousands?) of riders here every year. FYI

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
no one is going to stop you, unless they have choppers up in the air (which they have said they will at some point next year). Then they will just meet you at your vehicles and impound your sleds. If you are caught in a caribou closure area you can be fined up to $100,000.

They are really serious about this. I guess it's your choice if you want to go there. Barry (bbtoys) fought a hard fight against the closures and we lost alot less area than they originally wanted to take from us. Valemount took a big hit as well.

Note: The bcsf (bc snowmobile federation) declined to help us out with this because mcbride is such a small snowmobile club (6 members at the time) and it didn't matter to them that we have hundreds (thousands?) of riders here every year. Fyi

i will be buyin' a membership when we're there judy, and i'm sure snochuk will be too..... I think we need a membership drive for mcbride, while we're there;)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We lost more than some of our riding areas. Look at the closures and the do an overlay of where the parks are. There are basically NO areas left other than valley bottom logging roads and not even all of the club ares were saved! Back country rugged mountain access is gone. British Columbia tourism needs to change their slogan as B.C. is no longer ours to discover, it has officially been sold out to ghost caribou and forgien skiers!! I for one would deffinatly take part in a mass family orientated law breaking accesss into a closed area if the appropriate media coverage was to be there. Hell I'd give them a sled and tow their gear in. I'm not sure how this will turn out but sledding in BC is heading down the path of sledding in Ontario. Areas will be crowded and isurance rates and access costs have sky rocketed. For the people who ride a couple times a year there will be no noticable change, but the rest of us will suffer. Kinda hurts to know we are now coralled into small areas. Never had any of my freedoms revoked before. This will affect the number of trips per year to the mountains for many as some of the thrill is now gone. I for one will be spending more time riding at home. This is truely a sad sad time for sledders. I will gladly take part to help to have these closures reversed. If the BCSF did not help the C.S.'s should be deported as there is no way they are Canadian!!!:mad::(:mad::( This just sucks.

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can we not DEMAND the proof to all these caribou studies? If they're not actually physically there then how can these creeps be enforcing these closures on the basis that they exist in these areas ? I want to see pictures or video of these animals in the Dore or the East Twin. I have not yet seen a caribou period while sledding any back country.[/QUOTE]

That's because where we ride in the winter gets too much snow for any animals to be able to paw for food and survive the winter up there. Remember the horse rescue; those horses would not have been able to survive up there. It's a bunch of political BS, like the Grizzly bear surveys. From what I've read about those things I've seen every living grizzly bear in Alberta, and they all live in our plant/field area.:rolleyes: As soon as the snow starts to get deep we see the elk start moving down onto the hillsides and into the valleys where they can find food. Caribou closures are just a term that is working for "them" right now.:rant::rant: Sorry guys kinda went off a bit there.:eek::beer:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will be buyin' a membership when we're there judy, and i'm sure snochuk will be too..... I think we need a membership drive for mcbride, while we're there;)

I will definatly be a member before I leave Barry's place.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one is going to stop you, unless they have choppers up in the air (which they have said they will at some point next year). Then they will just meet you at your vehicles and impound your sleds. If you are caught in a caribou closure area you can be fined up to $100,000.

They are really serious about this. I guess it's your choice if you want to go there. Barry (bbtoys) fought a hard fight against the closures and we lost ALOT less area than they originally wanted to take from us. Valemount took a big hit as well.

Note: The BCSF (BC Snowmobile Federation) declined to help us out with this because McBride is such a small snowmobile club (6 members at the time) and it didn't matter to them that we have hundreds (thousands?) of riders here every year. FYI

I will say thanks to Barry in person when I get there, sounds like without Barry there would have been no McBride riding.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep in mind that the heli ski choppers will be the first to blow the whistle on any sledders in closed areas.This is another example of special interest groups using bad science to further their causes.

Itsworthit

Reaction score
This really really really sucks, can someone make memberships to the club avalible at North Country, Glenns and Denise's shops, there's power in numbers

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This really really really sucks, can someone make memberships to the club avalible at North Country, Glenns and Denise's shops, there's power in numbers

Call bbtoys or heyjude before you hit town, our whole group joined when we were there. There is no excuse for not joining and giving Barry the numbers to preserve and maybe even expand on what Mcbride is now. I felt like such a tight wad for not being a member sooner when I found out it was only $20 to join. Come on people, GIVE BARRY THE POWER HE NEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!:d:d:d:d

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will talk to barry and have it set-up so people can buy memberships at our shop again this season. We had them available at the shop last year. We can definiteitely use as many members as possible.

Top Bottom