North Country Lodge McBride

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have also had a very poor experience last winter at the NCL which is why over the last couple years I have stayed at one of the many B&b or cabins in the area. If I can't get a cabin or B&b in mcbride now and the last chance is at the NCL I will change my sledding location south about an hour.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there with Darren and we have stayed at the NCL many times as we enjoy McBride, and our Gigglin Grizzly suppers. As for the comments on plugging in a trailer; we are not running any heat off power. The heaters are propane heaters, the only power being used is ~2A to run the fan; way less than running a block heater in a truck. Next to no draw on the electrical of the NCL. Therefore if the electrical can't handle running the fans in the few trailers that were there on a Wednesday night, in November, without blowing breakers good luck plugging in vehicles if it is busy. The couple we rode with on Thursday; that rode on Wednesday, said the hottub was not even hot when they got in after riding, again unacceptable. Darren also called me after he called the NCL to add the extra night to let me know it was all looked after. No big deal, a mix up in there somewhere that we tried to work out to accomodate our third night. We offered to pay the suite rate for the third night for two rooms as there was three of us. After that offer was declined we decided that we were ready to move on. Not bashing the NCL at all; just backing up Darren as we all felt the same way. I feel that in these times a buisness should work hard to accomodate their customers to ensure they remain as the first call when a customer is looking for goods or services and not become a last resort.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
That's too bad.We've also stayed there quite a few times.Liked the suites.Always got treated real well,even got a ride to the Grizz a few times.But it sounds like they don't like sledders anymore.Which is shooting themselves in the foot in a sledding town.O well,sounds like they don't want our business anymore.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there with Darren and we have stayed at the NCL many times as we enjoy McBride, and our Gigglin Grizzly suppers. As for the comments on plugging in a trailer; we are not running any heat off power. The heaters are propane heaters, the only power being used is ~2A to run the fan; way less than running a block heater in a truck. Next to no draw on the electrical of the NCL. Therefore if the electrical can't handle running the fans in the few trailers that were there on a Wednesday night, in November, without blowing breakers good luck plugging in vehicles if it is busy. The couple we rode with on Thursday; that rode on Wednesday, said the hottub was not even hot when they got in after riding, again unacceptable. Darren also called me after he called the NCL to add the extra night to let me know it was all looked after. No big deal, a mix up in there somewhere that we tried to work out to accomodate our third night. We offered to pay the suite rate for the third night for two rooms as there was three of us. After that offer was declined we decided that we were ready to move on. Not bashing the NCL at all; just backing up Darren as we all felt the same way. I feel that in these times a buisness should work hard to accomodate their customers to ensure they remain as the first call when a customer is looking for goods or services and not become a last resort.

That was my point exactly - they should be happy if your only plugging in the trailer as the electrical draw is next to nothing. An attitude like that just doesn't make any sense. Hopefully it's just a matter of education and they will see the point after reading all of the posts.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what the OP unplugged of NCL's without asking ( as NCL stated), was it something important? Maybe that's why he yoinked your cords out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
There's 3 sides to every story.
Just curious what the OP unplugged of NCL's without asking ( as NCL stated), was it something important? Maybe that's why he yoinked your cords out?

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was there a week ago and plugged in as well. I did unplug one 3' christmas tree to find a plug that worked and thought no big deal. Came back out an hour later to the tree twinckling and my cord on the ground. Thats fair in my eyes and kinda a dick move on my part to unplug the tree but I wont be staying there anymore if I cant plug in to run the furnace fan. This is not because of poor service or bad rooms just something I want and can get elsewhere(Sandman).

And for all you haters whining about why you would have a heater run at night..... have fun packn all your gear in your room cooking yourself at night trying to dry it. I put boot, helmet glove and beleclava dryers in the trailer. When we get off the hill we hop in the warm trailer, gear down and hang everything up. Drive sleds in last and no messing with gear until you got to put it on in the morning at the hill again where its toasty warm ready for you. Is this needed? no... Is it nice HELL YA...... but if ya wanna kick it old school be my guest, Ill be at the Griz crushn triple Ts while ya pack around and mess with ur gear.:beer:

Thunder101

Reaction score
I wish my enclosed had a furnace !!!! If I bucked up for a new trailer with a propane furnace so I could have our gear hang and dry I would be a happy man !!
Not to sure why you tough guys are talking $hit ? When you gear is frozen its frozen. To the OP I would also look else where so you could plug in your trailer.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me it comes down to communication. I have sat in council meetings, and have been asked to attend various town business development meetings to represent the snowmobiler demographic. Towns are starting to learn our economic value and how we can keep small town BC alive in winter months. I have stated my opinion and given recommendations. To unplug, or not to unplug... that is the question... for me, if a trailer was to be unplugged I would have thought some communication to occur to 1. accommodate the guest, and 2. ensure whatever policy that is in place is made clear so that everyone was on the same page. To simply unplug to me seems like a passive aggressive action to the guest who may or may have not been abusing a "policy"... but fact remaining, many small towns depend upon tourism dollars especially in the winter months, so I would expect the business to appreciate each and every dollar that our snowmobile community contributes. We are now, as a user group becoming one that has value. Many, establishments are now recognizing this fact.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a plug that was hanging out on the outlet barried in the snow and I stepped on the cord and it came unplugged. I plugged it back in to the outlet that had the spot for two plugs. I then plugged my trailer in an was unaware that only one plug in worked. I never herd of a plug that only one worked out of the two. He could of came an seen me in the room or called me to say what happened instead of just unplugging the trailer.
I have spent a lot of money at that hotel either under my name or the 5 other guys that we travel with, plus the donations tow the snowmobile club whether for propane or money for new cabins not to mention the bar and Restraunt tabs lol
communication would of been nice instead walk out to frozen gear and dead frozen brand new battery.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it OK to plug your truck in and not your trailer why not rig up your trailer plug in to the front of your truck so the hotel guy thinks your truck is plugged in. Plug your trailer into a extention cord off your blockheater cord to the rear of your truck. Plug it in when you plug in your trailer wiring. if you don't need the blockheater don't plug that cord into the extention cord. Run both or just one. No one will know how much power you are using and that the trailer is plugged in piggyback to the blockheater. That was long hope you understand what I`m thinking:confused:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
If it OK to plug your truck in and not your trailer why not rig up your trailer plug in to the front of your truck so the hotel guy thinks your truck is plugged in. Plug your trailer into a extention cord off your blockheater cord to the rear of your truck. Plug it in when you plug in your trailer wiring. if you don't need the blockheater don't plug that cord into the extention cord. Run both or just one. No one will know how much power you are using and that the trailer is plugged in piggyback to the blockheater. That was long hope you understand what I`m thinking:confused:
You might be onto something here Glen......

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi Darren, I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. First, let me apologize for the heat not being turned on before your arrival....that absolutely should have been done. As for the extra night in the suite, there is no record of you having called to extend the stay. It's standard protocol to update the confirmation email and send the guest the revision when any changes are made to their reservation so, if you did not receive a new email then it wasn't confirmed. The other 2 rooms were given to you at a discounted rate.
Now, to address the plugging in issue..... It IS clearly posted in the lobby that snowmobile trailers CANNOT be plugged in to the outside outlets. In addition, you did not ever ask AND you unplugged our equipment to plug in your trailer. The wiring will not support the extra load of having everyone plug in their trailers.
So, in summary.......I will offer sincere apologies for the oversight regarding the room heat and any possible miscommunication regarding your extended stay plans. However, you have a certain degree of responsibility as a guest and you did not respect the rules of the establishment.

Sorry I don't buy into the plugging in snowmobile trailers argument, If your wiring cannot handle the load of a fan motor running and a converter, than parking diesel pickups there this winter is out of the question than.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me it comes down to communication. To simply unplug to me seems like a passive aggressive action.

Exactly the way I took it. I felt like it was back in the days my Dad used to tell me "As long as you live under my roof; you will live under my rules." There was only about 4-5 rooms taken on that nite and I had my cell on me all nite, with the number I booked the rooms under that they had on file. We were only a call away even when we were at the Grizz. There is no excuse for the action of the management in this case. At least if we had been informed that the trailer had been unplugged, and given a reasonable explanation, we could have dealt with it. No big deal, let it snow so we can all head to BC and ride. Here's to a much better riding season than we had last year.:beer:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Exactly the way I took it. I felt like it was back in the days my Dad used to tell me "As long as you live under my roof; you will live under my rules." There was only about 4-5 rooms taken on that nite and I had my cell on me all nite, with the number I booked the rooms under that they had on file. We were only a call away even when we were at the Grizz. There is no excuse for the action of the management in this case. At least if we had been informed that the trailer had been unplugged, and given a reasonable explanation, we could have dealt with it. No big deal, let it snow so we can all head to BC and ride. Here's to a much better riding season than we had last year.:beer:

I am NOT trying to start chit, OR play the devils advocate. This is more a question than anything. You wanted them to call you and inform you that they unplugged your trailer, which I completely understand and agree with.

Did YOU notify THEM when you unplugged their equipment to plug your trailer in (as they've stated here)?

If not, that's kind of hypocritical, no?

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am NOT trying to start chit, OR play the devils advocate. This is more a question than anything. You wanted them to call you and inform you that they unplugged your trailer, which I completely understand and agree with.

Did YOU notify THEM when you unplugged their equipment to plug your trailer in (as they've stated here)?

You have a valid point, other than the old motto of the customer is right.
It is pretty simple, you want repeat business, new business or you don't.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There was a plug that was hanging out on the outlet barried in the snow and I stepped on the cord and it came unplugged. I plugged it back in to the outlet that had the spot for two plugs. I then plugged my trailer in an was unaware that only one plug in worked. I never herd of a plug that only one worked out of the two. I said that earlier in the post.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as Darren just said. Both cords were plugged in, we didn't unplug anything, but only one outlet worked. Upkeep is part of owning a buisness and electrical systems/wiring is kinda an important part of a hotel/motel. It was stated by management that the electrical is failing and in need of repairs and or upgrades. This is why the system as a whole can't handle any load on it is what we were told. Dunno and don't care anymore.........................:rolleyes:

Top Bottom