North Country Lodge McBride

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all I am not one to rant or be little anyone but I need to let fellow sledders know what happened this week so that they are aware. I had booked my suite at NCL back in September for my trip on Wednesday till Friday. I called over a week ago to check the availability of adding an extra night and was told yes that wouldn't be a problem as the suites weren't all booked. Perfect I said and told them that there would be 3 of us.
So here starts the issues for the trip. We check in and Are told that we are only booked till Friday. I said I had called and confirmed the extra night a week ago. They said well we will give you another room for you, I said I have 3 guys so we would take 2 rooms and they could just charge us the suite rate for the 2 rooms, no I can't do that he said. It will be $180.00. Whatever I said as I was pissed off. Then go to room and it is an icebox and took forever to warm up the room at that time of night.
they know what rooms are booked and could turn some heat on in those rooms. I understand trying to save costs when their not busy. So I plug in my trailer so my stuff doesn't freeze, come out in the am and he unplugged the trailer and everything was frozen solid. It was -20 that night plus my battery ran down so low with the furnace all night it killed and froze the battery.
so we left and so did the other groups with us which worked out to be 3 rooms and 3 nights that they lost out on. I said to him I will pay extra to plug in my trailer and he said no we don't want to have trailers plugged in.
He was rude when I went and talked to him about unplugging the trailer also. So after this I will no longer be staying at that hotel and wanted to give everyone else a heads up on this situation.

thanks for reading
Darren

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I had similar findings ever since the new ownership/management. Only reason I stayed there was for the restaurant and hot tub. Sandman has been my go to guy for the last few yrs

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow with the town hurting as bad as it is you would think they would do more to accommodate the sledders,no ski hills so who are they wanting to stay

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Last time we stayed there one of the girls blew a breaker with her hair dryer, we went down asked them to reset it, went to the Mountain Mania dinner, came back several hour later to still no power in the suite and the office door locked. I bitched loud enough that they took 1 night off our bill

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time we stayed there one of the girls blew a breaker with her hair dryer, we went down asked them to reset it, went to the Mountain Mania dinner, came back several hour later to still no power in the suite and the office door locked. I bitched loud enough that they took 1 night off our bill

It's sad that it had to come to that. I used to stay at the North Country and never had a bad experience once.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its been bad the last couple of times we stayed there. I thought i would give it another chance but that was the last one for me. I think as sledders we should be supporting the hotels, cabins and B&B that appreciate our business cause they don't.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay there all the time, never a problem. Left one day early they gave us a credit. Hot tub can be nasty mid season though, to be expected with the amount of traffic.

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stayed there mid Novemeber, cant complain. But we did only stay one night, and didnt have an enclosed to plug in.

NCL

Reaction score
hi Darren, I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. First, let me apologize for the heat not being turned on before your arrival....that absolutely should have been done. As for the extra night in the suite, there is no record of you having called to extend the stay. It's standard protocol to update the confirmation email and send the guest the revision when any changes are made to their reservation so, if you did not receive a new email then it wasn't confirmed. The other 2 rooms were given to you at a discounted rate.
Now, to address the plugging in issue..... It IS clearly posted in the lobby that snowmobile trailers CANNOT be plugged in to the outside outlets. In addition, you did not ever ask AND you unplugged our equipment to plug in your trailer. The wiring will not support the extra load of having everyone plug in their trailers.
So, in summary.......I will offer sincere apologies for the oversight regarding the room heat and any possible miscommunication regarding your extended stay plans. However, you have a certain degree of responsibility as a guest and you did not respect the rules of the establishment.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have four rooms booked for four nights in February, and while I rarely if ever plug in our truck I would fully expect to plug in the trailer. The trailer has LED lights and the furnace fan and battery tender draw way less than any block heater. If we cannot expect to plug in please let me know and we will make other arrangements. Thanks

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a generator if you need to plug in. 100 guys there not everyone can have their trailer plugged in.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I expect there is at least one plug in per room, and if it's 40 below every vehicle in s going to be plugged in. My comment is that the furnace fan in a trailer and battery tender is drawing way less current than any block heater, so wouldn't it be cheaper for the hotel owner for me to choose to plug in the trailer and thaw out sleds as opposed to plugging in a block heater.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since when does it get 40 below in mcbride lol. If u need to plug in go somewhere else, they have stat'd their policy, no sense arguing it. If it was me I'd bend over backyards for sledders.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do have one my point is we have been plugging in there at that hotel for the last 6 years. When Nicky was running it she never had a problem with it. The thing that bothers me is he unplugged it we were one of 3 groups that were staying there. He could of called the room and told us that we can't plug in, instead our **** froze solid and the battery ran down so low that it froze and I have to buy another battery!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just what you need to listen to all nite

Why does it need to run all night? Park sleds in trailer, fire up heater on way down from hill, melt off water runs out onto the highway.....shut it off at hotel.

In the morning, fire up genny as you leave lodge (or maybe at breakie if the drive is a short one), sleds will be warm by the time you get to the parking lot. If guys want marshmallow sleds all toasty and warm, then hotel rates gotta go up if you want to run the heaters all night, then the threads about hotel costs will start showin up.....can always buy a genny and muffle it really good I guess....and then spend $40 more a day in fuel to run it.....

There's no "sled warmer" on the hill and guys wouldnt think twice if they took an hour break and their sled cooled down more on the hill at -15C than it does in the enclosed all night - so why does the sled need to be +40 C when the trailer door gets opened in the morning? Sleddings become a cadillac sport if that's how u gonna roll, you don't need to melt off every last ounce of water to run the next day. Sleds are made to operate in snow.....

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does it need to run all night? Park sleds in trailer, fire up heater on way down from hill, melt off water runs out onto the highway.....shut it off at hotel.

In the morning, fire up genny as you leave lodge (or maybe at breakie if the drive is a short one), sleds will be warm by the time you get to the parking lot. If guys want marshmallow sleds all toasty and warm, then hotel rates gotta go up if you want to run the heaters all night, then the threads about hotel costs will start showin up.....can always buy a genny and muffle it really good I guess....and then spend $40 more a day in fuel to run it.....

There's no "sled warmer" on the hill and guys wouldnt think twice if they took an hour break and their sled cooled down more on the hill at -15C than it does in the enclosed all night - so why does the sled need to be +40 C when the trailer door gets opened in the morning? Sleddings become a cadillac sport if that's how u gonna roll, you don't need to melt off every last ounce of water to run the next day. Sleds are made to operate in snow.....

It was our gear bud!! And we have no problem paying extra to plug in trailers. Easy to turn on at the hill when your battery isn't frozen solid.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And they probably want to dry their sheepskin seat cover while they're recharging their electric vests and footwarmers. Today's sledder seems pretty soft compared to the real deal days of sledding!!! lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was our gear bud!! And we have no problem paying extra to plug in trailers. Easy to turn on at the hill when your battery isn't frozen solid.

No problem, comment not directed at you as I know the guy who buy a new sled each year and has it boosted probably doesn't mind paying a few extra $$$ for the plug-in.....

More directed at the comment that genny's would run all night.

Top Bottom