Nordegg ATV trail closures

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I agree with you Andrew we both know this won't happen. Sledders don't like quadders who don't like bikers who don't like fishers who don't like hikers etc etc.

I wish AOHVA would become more involved and more accessible much like the ASA is, then maybe we could get organized and create a "mother" organization that could help fight for us as summer OHV users

I like sledders!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in reality, if the AWA shut down all motor vehicle use in the eastern slopes I would think it will affect Nordegg's bottom line big time. they rely heavily on tourism in the summer, and likely just get by in winter. no idea what people are thinking though, they did sell and build a pile of housing out there last couple of years.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in reality, if the AWA shut down all motor vehicle use in the eastern slopes I would think it will affect Nordegg's bottom line big time. they rely heavily on tourism in the summer, and likely just get by in winter. no idea what people are thinking though, they did sell and build a pile of housing out there last couple of years.
Yes it is a tourist town and will affect them forsure

Pretty much winter the work crews out there is the only thing being done

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. was some oilfield work, likely scarce now. spotty tourist activity, mainly weather dependent. most of the hikers, backpackers etc aleady have all there supplies before they leave home as most of the campers. to close down bighorn may be the end of the town.

wonder if the awa thought of that?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes to the meeting as it is a sit in and hear what is being said at the AWA and ones own thoughts that play a bit of a roll in this process.

I like the idea of no select group over the other, but each has its own agenda/ stake of what they would like.
OHV/ Sled is an easy target "could be that is."

Times are changing and there's nothing wrong with hearing open-end conversation that could spark a way we all move forward. Dam I wish my auto correct worked better in the buck-brush.

Bro Les and I are onto the same page of ideas as a whole that promots most every user group as the GoA needs not too come in and settle it,,, their plan would look much different then what any-one would want.

Kool minds, open ears and thought full replies to all in good standing.

More wrong then right Lem. See all there.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, find out what they are proposing, although there web site says it all. up till now, previous governments have been balancing what the majority were seeking. but with present government, the cards are off the table.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cal can give you some info on whats been going on out there already dealing with motorized trails. Thanks CaL

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think he is involved with the bighorn atv society, other than that ?

I'm thinking this AWA organization has seen the election of the NDP as there big chance to promote there agenda. total ban of any motorized traffic in all PLUZ zones.

there is only a few small area's now, and lots have time limits.

Cal Rakach

Reaction score
Sure Glen, but this is a long 13 year story so I will skim over the highlites;
The Bighorn Standing Commitee was formed in 2002 to advise (then) ESRD on the implementation and management of the Bighorn Access Management Plan.
On the ground motorized trails are looked after by the Olds snowmobile club and BHAS.
The Olds Club has been focused on the YaHaTinda-Scalp Creek and Cutoff Cr. - Scalp Cr.Trails.
Other user groups have done some work on MTB trails and educational trails.
Everybody helps out where they can.
The camping areas are the focus of Friends of the Eastern Slopes. They also do what they can on equine trails.
Remember all this takes time and money...and everybody has jobs and lives.
All this work is done cooperatively, everybody helping each other... Nobody gets left behind.
We won an Emerald Award for how we get things done.

We estimate that the vollunteers have spent in the neighborhood of $1Million over the past 13 year for all the trail work, bridges, campground upgrades, toilets, maintenence...most evrything you see out there.
There is some work being done out there by the GoA Flood Recovery folks and that is a different deal.
Trail closures and openings you see from year to year on the maps are done only at the recommendation of the Standing Committee Members.

It is important to remember that all this work is being done without any provincial trail management or funding programs.
This is all gifted to the people of ALberta by an incredible group of dedicated vollunteer stewards.

That's the 2-bit tour.
Cal

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another idea of why this is being done is. The Castle area is a bigger deal right now. AWA changes focus to the Bighorn area and the castle gets by with less negative concerns from motorized users.

This area is right up their alley and now that motorized users are interested we should get involved in this land grab also. Huge area that is motorized controlled and organized is being lost to make a new provincial park and wildland area. No motorized anything in a Provincial Park. This is what we all should be fighting against. Do we need another K-Country? Protection has its limits. I heard they want another tourism area like Banff or area like that kind of. No motorized just tourism area.

Check it out

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooo....
91869d02d0e0256650a0b94818bb684b.jpg
new map

Cal Rakach

Reaction score
Bighorn Maps can be found at

A new feature is the Georeferenced PDF maps that you can down load onto your phone and then through Avenza pdf Maps PDF Maps Mobile App
your phone's GPS follos along as to where you are.

C.

Top Bottom