NEWBIE questions on 97' 583 summit.

fordevr

Reaction score
I posted the first question in another post, (thanks to the guys that gave there input) but I hope to get a larger response here.
1st. How should I adjust the track adjuster so I can climb and steer good. Don't care if the ski's come off...looks cool but I want the ultimate performance over show.

2nd. Would a 670 eng. be a easy swap or are there mods needed? (would love to eventually surprise some ppl with a 670 under a 583 hood. muh haha!!

3rd. If you have owned a 97' or close to it summit...how was it for performance and most importantly...How will it do against a 98' 700 RMK?

THANKS..
Ps. WILL IT EVER SNOW?

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 96 500, that we eventually put a 670 in. then had a 98 670x. both were great sleds, fairly light, and with about a 4 inch riser under the handlebars, we easy to toss around. Wont keep up with todays newer iron, but still alot of fun.
Are you talking stopper strap, or track tension?
670 will go in quite easily if you can find one, when i did mine i just dropped the whole assembly in, engine, carbs and primary clutch and pipe.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 96 500, that we eventually put a 670 in. then had a 98 670x. both were great sleds, fairly light, and with about a 4 inch riser under the handlebars, we easy to toss around. Wont keep up with todays newer iron, but still alot of fun.
Are you talking stopper strap, or track tension?
670 will go in quite easily if you can find one, when i did mine i just dropped the whole assembly in, engine, carbs and primary clutch and pipe.

o yes fordevr, i forgot to mention in my other post that what we were discussing was the stopper strap at the front of the track, not the track tensioner...sorry if there was any confusion..

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted the first question in another post, (thanks to the guys that gave there input) but I hope to get a larger response here.
1st. How should I adjust the track adjuster so I can climb and steer good. Don't care if the ski's come off...looks cool but I want the ultimate performance over show.

2nd. Would a 670 eng. be a easy swap or are there mods needed? (would love to eventually surprise some ppl with a 670 under a 583 hood. muh haha!!

3rd. If you have owned a 97' or close to it summit...how was it for performance and most importantly...How will it do against a 98' 700 RMK?

THANKS..
Ps. WILL IT EVER SNOW?

I have had(in my family) a 97summit 670, 98 summit 583 and 97,98,99 700rmk and I liked the 670 the best. the 98rmk with heads, twin pipes,v-force reeds was a kick ass sled in it's day though. I still have the 670 and 99rmk sitting in the back yard would sell them cheap if your interested.(670 is beat up though)

A 670 should bolt right in I think? the sleds/blocks (summit670/583) look identical.

I put a 136/2inch camoplast paddle track on the 670 and was pretty much even with
the 98 700 rmks on the hills. The 670 summit was a great sled in it's day,the
96summit was the first stock sled to make it up Jackson hole hillclimb.
There was a few turbo 670's back in the day that were really good climbers.
And there is lots of other modding potential with the 670.
If you get one that runs good, I'd say it would be a good cheap sled to get into mountain riding.

The 583 was a good sled to, but a few time we went into bowls with 670s/700's, that the 583 didn't have enough power to get out of and made for some interesting times..lol And it wouldn't start pointed down hill,,,and when you rolled them even harder to start..We never had that problem with the 670??

As far as the track limiter straps go I'd say play around with it a bit and see how you
like it. I always found it never made much differnce but maybe thats just me.

Hope this helps:beer:

fordevr

Reaction score
Guess I'll have to try it at half and go from there. THanks guys. I love this site.

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had(in my family) a 97summit 670, 98 summit 583 and 97,98,99 700rmk and I liked the 670 the best. the 98rmk with heads, twin pipes,v-force reeds was a kick ass sled in it's day though. I still have the 670 and 99rmk sitting in the back yard would sell them cheap if your interested.(670 is beat up though)

A 670 should bolt right in I think? the sleds/blocks (summit670/583) look identical.

I put a 136/2inch camoplast paddle track on the 670 and was pretty much even with
the 98 700 rmks on the hills. The 670 summit was a great sled in it's day,the
96summit was the first stock sled to make it up Jackson hole hillclimb.
There was a few turbo 670's back in the day that were really good climbers.
And there is lots of other modding potential with the 670.
If you get one that runs good, I'd say it would be a good cheap sled to get into mountain riding.

The 583 was a good sled to, but a few time we went into bowls with 670s/700's, that the 583 didn't have enough power to get out of and made for some interesting times..lol And it wouldn't start pointed down hill,,,and when you rolled them even harder to start..We never had that problem with the 670??

As far as the track limiter straps go I'd say play around with it a bit and see how you
like it. I always found it never made much differnce but maybe thats just me.

Hope this helps:beer:
sent you a PM

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got the 99 670x haul ace machine. has NO problem keeping up with anything up to an 800 that is stock. very dependable and good power.

Top Bottom