Big Bore head swap / compression question.

Hon-Doo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently bought an 08 Summit with an Arctic Edge 860BB kit in it. The sled was set up to run in the 5000' + range with a stock head shaved to provide 13.5:1 compression. (Pump gas kit for that altitude). It is running a single stock pipe with a thing can. I will be running the sled in the mountains this winter with some luck but want to be able to use it in Yellowknife @ 1000' as well.

The fuel here in town is definitely shy of 91 octane @ the pump so I have already bought some Klotz octane boost (advertising a 4 - 5 octane number increase @ 1QT per tank roughly) and have a line on some 100LL should I need to go that route. The previous owner / builder said the sled would run @ 2000' on pump gas but that he took it easy at those altitudes. I picked up a KOSO dual egt kit to install as well as a few sets of larger jets to work my way down through and it already has 0.030" of shim under the needles.

My question is this, should I look at buying a lower compression head to run when I am at these low elevations? If so who do you recommend I talk to / what brand would you recommend? Or on the cheaper side of things, could I possibly just add a second base gasket to effectively lower the compression? I have been reading some of Kelsey's technical articles on RK Tek's website and it looks as though that could work.

I have no issue doing the work myself but have no experience with the math involved or the amount of time it might take to do either of these swaps. Time to swap a head? Can it be done in the machine? I don't necessarily want to pull the engine twice a season to swap base gaskets if the only difference is going to be the $400 for a second head.

Trying to come up with solutions before snow flys and I start getting antsy to ride. (That's only a couple months away here) Thanks for your input!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best thing to do is call Arctic edge and talk to Brent. He will know what's best. Or give Deano a call at mad Motorsports in Leduc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hon-Doo

Reaction score
I've been trying to get through to Brent but not having any luck at the moment. I'm in a remote camp just killing time right now and trying to decided how long it would take for a new head to pay itself off in fuel savings, or in reliability. RK quoted me @ $465USD for a custom head cut for my set up but with the exchange and shipping as they are I could buy a lot of avgas or octane boost for the same price. Probably 2 years worth realistically and by that time the engine is going to need to come apart again anyway as I see it. Does anyone else run a higher compression head at low elevation? Are you seeing shorter maintenance intervals because of it?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a 13.5:1 at 2500ft. I mixed in some fury 111 race fuel. I will pm you deano's number he works really close with Brent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sent you a PM
Have a RKT 860 head complete with 13.5 comp.
You would only need less comp. domes if interested?
Changing out head on the sled is a easy job with basic tools and torque wrench.

Last edited:

Hon-Doo

Reaction score
Got hold of Deano today and have a rough game plan in place. Get home and figure out my squish to have a head milled up for sea level and try to find a drum of avgas for the current setup just in case. Appreciate the help.

Hon-Doo

Reaction score
Hahah I said I wasn't going to bother you with any more stuff Chris. Think I've got a couple of drums of the good stuff lined up to run for this season and I will do the top end over and switch the head over the summer next year if it needs it. I'll take a picture of the vernier caliper when I measure it and then you can tell me how much that pay check is worth.

SRXtreme

Reaction score
Hey guys
needles.

Or on the cheaper side of things, could I possibly just add a second base gasket to effectively lower the compression? I have been reading some of Kelsey's technical articles on RK Tek's website and it looks as though that could work.
You don't want to change the base gasket as it will change the port timing. The best way is a second head or a head with changeable domes.

Hon-Doo

Reaction score
Thanks, I read that after the fact. I've never owned anything 2 stroke that was so heavily modded so it's a bit of a learning curve.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahah I said I wasn't going to bother you with any more stuff Chris. Think I've got a couple of drums of the good stuff lined up to run for this season and I will do the top end over and switch the head over the summer next year if it needs it. I'll take a picture of the vernier caliper when I measure it and then you can tell me how much that pay check is worth.

Thought that sled sounded familiar. She's a runner for sure.

Top Bottom