Newbie Mountain Riders - A Learning Thread

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
You don't have to pretend you know even the very basics of riding.
Get someone to explain it in detail and show you.
I have some friends that stopped me at one point and said "you may think you're doing this right but you're not". Too bad I didn't ask them everything about highmarking. I might not have wrecked my first sled as bad. For example - don't let off the throttle until you start pointing down.

Don't be afraid to say no.
If you're not comfortable riding somewhere or climbing a hill - don't. Going in scared as heck doesn't help you make good decisions once you're there. Friends may laugh and taunt you but it's always in good fun and no one will think less of you at the end of the day. Somedays you're the one laughing when the rodeo gets going.

Whenever you go down you need to make sure you can get back up (machine and ability).

Cowboy151

Reaction score
Great thread! I like the continuing theme of start simple and work your way up. Just like the addage, Rome wasn't build in a day. I would like to add that the open meadows of almost every destination westbound are the prime practice places to learn to boondock. With ample space around without any creeks, holes, trees, cliffs, steep grades, or truck size boulders and just three feet of new untouched snow. The concept of countersteering to maintain the agile motion of sidehilling is one that needs to be practiced. Getting experience in a meadow is needed before you get into a situation of having one shot to do it right or big oops. The balance of steering, momentum and gas are and can be a fickle recipe to get right. Besides, this practice is great fun.:)

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great inforamtion please keep it coming. On a side note our group usually will head out for some beacon practice the first day, then once everyone is confident we go play..... Also a first aid kit and the essentials for fire starting and food is good to have on hand... Many times we have been up around the 5-7 thousand line and have been caught in the craziest weather, rain included... So fire is the basic need at those times....

Top Bottom