"NEW" Yamaha 180 Hp Turbocharger Kit

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what he change, I just tried a friend Nytro with the upgrade kit. I would say he change the primary weight for sure, give Darren a call he will tell you more info.

autopro

Reaction score
I have put 130 miles on the upgrade so far and it has performed great. It is still good for boondocking and has big power on the top end. The primary settings are the same as the 180 kit but put a EPI purple spring in the secondary with 10 deg twist and shockwave 1/2 turn out.
Autopro :D

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have put 130 miles on the upgrade so far and it has performed great. It is still good for boondocking and has big power on the top end. The primary settings are the same as the 180 kit but put a EPI purple spring in the secondary with 10 deg twist and shockwave 1/2 turn out.

Green arctic cat secondary spring works great also (old style with nubs)

Dtripps

Reaction score
Is the 230 upgrade still running pump fuel? What kind of boost is it creating? and how is the upgraded gems, still getting good air/fuel in the diffrent throttle positions?

autopro

Reaction score
I run Chevron 94 octane with Amsoil octane boost for a little extra insurance. Boost numbers are 7 to 9 lbs depending on elevation. I currently have tested from 2000 to 4500 ft elevation. I prefer the reflashed Gems AFR over what the 180 kit provided.

Summitboy

Reaction score
Really ? You went from 180HP to 230HP by adding 2 lbs of boost, no headshim ? And on top of that you didnt change your primary settings ? Dont you find that a little puzzling ? I would be surprised if you have 185Hp lol

autopro

Reaction score
I installed the MPI 180 turbo kit last winter and it made a night and day difference!!! I am not "really" a turbo EXPERT but after installing the 230 upgrade ,inter cooler,higher pressure fuel system,fuel regulator,fuel remap,E&S clutch set up and 6 turns on the waste gate,I would conclude after testing with my seat of the pants dyno that the HP would be a lot closer to the 230 mark. Autopro :D

Summitboy

Reaction score
So at what boost on pump fuel do you believe your making 230 HP ? Please let us know the altitude as well ? Also when you say clutching are you talking about the secondary spring only ? You didn't add any primary weight ?

We have a MPI in our group that has the upgrade kit and he was told 9psi at 6500 feet was 230HP ! I almost fell off my rocker when i heard this ! 230HP on pump fuel with no head shim because the blower is VERY efficient ! The MCX 240 kit would eat this thing alive ! The other MPI 180 kit in our group feels the same as this 230 kit, its a joke. The MCX makes 180HP at 6500 at 8.7 lbs of boost in their kit on pump fuel. Even with this secret Mits efficient turbo i just can't see it. I would like to hear some explanations on this !

Last edited:

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many HP does the Mitsi turbo make per lbs of boost?

138 hp + (8hp x 9psi=72) = 210 hp is what i get.

Anyway they are frigging hoot!. I have approx 1500 km on my 180 kit and love'n it! Great fun....with reliability.

autopro

Reaction score
I would like to add a manual boost controller so can add boost at higher elevation. When I have the turbo switch on high boost at 5000 ft I have 8 lbs and when I drop down to 2500 it is at 12lbs. I think this turbo adds 9hp per lb?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332096959.777462.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332096959.777462.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 262

Summitboy

Reaction score
No one is fighting with you ! I would like to hear ALL the numbers from Darren from E&S since this is his kit. It seems like MPI has nothing to do with this, no info on their site. Your math is somewhat flawed, 9psi at Sea Level and 9 psi at 6500 feet give different hp amounts. For example, your 180 kit is around the 6psi range at sea level. When you take that kit to 6500ft you need 8.7psi to make 180hp. If you take your 6psi to 6500 feet you end up with somewhere in the 150ish hp range. If you are running almost 12 pounds at sea level that motor will start to deto and you can get ready for a rebuild unless you have some method of compression reduction ie. head shim or low comp pistons. The reason you are seeing no reduction in psi down is because this kit does not adjust the waste gate rod with change in elevation like the MCX does. A MCX Apex 260 kit ran 12 psi at sea level on pump, but it has a head shim. Id be careful if i were you ! Darren, can we get some info from you please ?

Last edited:

autopro

Reaction score
I'am no fool and all the facts you have stated I know. The fact is I am very happy with the performance of the MPI kit and that is the end of the story. PS thanks to Darren for all your help!!!! Autopro:D

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
SummitBoy: With out getting into a pissing match, An average Nytro motor produces 135 hp SAE. This kit produced 180 hp SAE @ 4.4 lbs of boost. @ 9.0 psi produced 230.4 hp SAE. These #'s were repeated multiple times by a Major Manufacture.
Thanks Darren

Summitboy

Reaction score
What elevation ? What fuel ? How is it a MCX 180 kit takes 6psi to make 180HP at sea level and your kit takes only 4psi ? How is it a MCX 240 kit takes 13psi to make 240HP (headshim) and your kit only 10psi (without headshim) ? Your making making the same power with 3psi less. Doesn't that strike you as being a little off ? So if your numbers are at sea level do you recommend increasing that 230 upgrade kit to 12 psi at elevation to maintain that ? How do you take care of the elevation piece ? 9psi at 6500 feet is maybe 190HP if that according to your numbers. Your customer above says he is pulling 12psi at 2500 feet without a headshim, is this the recommendation ?? I'm looking for clarification for the simple fact your making some big HP claims that see to go against the norms of other comparable kits on the snow and there is no real information anywhere to be seen. Please explain.....

Last edited:

autopro

Reaction score
Darren said to keep boost at 6lbs at low elevation. I only use full throttle for around a second on the way back down to the truck on the high boost setting.

Top Bottom