Yamaha new Sidewinder, my opinion on the floor.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the Sidewinder was in town yesterday and only for the day. So went and checked it out. No didn't ride it as it was only a prototype on display.
Met up with Chad from CR and we gave it a general check over and tried to find answers on some stuff but to no avail. The Yamy dude including the owner had no real answers for us, kinda tight lip for some reason or honestly didn't know.
Ya they could answer basic stuff, like fuel tank size and track size etc, etc. but we didn't care about that.

Anyhow, i want to keep this short, not long.
My first impression when i walked in....its another Viper, they look very very similar in so many way's.
Yes it is a Cat chassi, just like the Viper. Except it has a very small heat exchanger up front unlike the Viper with a radiator the Sidewinder has no radiator.
Pretty much everything else chassi wise including suspension is Cat, like the Viper.
Talking about suspension, it is available as a 36" stance.

The seat IMO SUCK's, looks like and feels like a sofa and not like a mountain sled seat. Yamaha should take note of this, i don't think they are the same as the Cat seats but Yamaha own version.
Another disappointment is fit and finish, maybe because it was a prototype or maybe because they are tied with Cat now and Cat has never been know for good fit and finish, though i personally em a Cat fan and have no bones about them.
I'm quite surprise at the poor fit and finish of this sled. I hope the production model shows Yamaha's true colors on fit and finish that they are known for.

Another interesting find was the unbalance from right to left, something Yamaha has always addressed in the past.
Most Yamaha were very well balance but not the Sidewinder. There is a significant difference between the right and left in weight and it truly shows when you roll the sled over. To the right the Sidewinder lays over with very little effort but to the left you definitely have to pull. IMO a disappointment. But i believe it can be addressed by removing the huge muffler and installing a smaller muffler to help equalize the weight differences.

The engine...well what can i say, like i said i haven't rode it. Its truly a gem to look at and definitely Yamaha 100%.
I was told Yamaha engineers invested 4 years in developing this engine and huge money in developing the fuel system and turbo combo. Yamaha is also being very conservative about its capabilities, it's tough, durable, design for longevity and high horse power is what we were told.
Also was told if we thought the old Nytro motors set a bench mark for durability and making power, this new motor surpasses and will put it to shame.
We were also told by Nick King the technical guru and multi award winner of N.America Yamaha technician contest that this motor will run easy 240-250hp+hp with a simple program down load with all STOCK components...NO add on's. WOW, maybe a blessing.
If this is true, Yamaha will dominate a large majority of mountain condition's. Though maybe not a tight tree sled, it will rein pretty much on anything else related to back country mountain sledding will throw at it.
It will be interesting to see.....Big promises that's for sure.
Though after saying this Yamaha has a VERY long way's to go in sales, this sled IMO is better suited for certain rider's looking for a certain type of ride. Not just for anyone.

BTW...no real weight changes, it's still a 600lb sled wet, but hey not all men are alike LOL.

Enough said. Just my observation on a show room floor.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lund, it would have been nice to see this engine in a Japanese chassis, so I am glad I bought a cat and I will keep the Nytro for the really deep days

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lund, it would have been nice to see this engine in a Japanese chassis, so I am glad I bought a cat and I will keep the Nytro for the really deep days
Clode, it must be the M8 you bought?
I'm not quite convinced to do the switch either. So going to run my Nytro next season and see what happens with the Sidewinder. Like someone told me recently, "you don't ride a Nytro, you just ride a very rare Yamaha".....i can't argue, its been modded so much it just has the basic looks of the Nytro.
Don't you find it hard riding one and then jumping on the other on different day's, adjusting your style? I know i have a hard time riding the wifes M8, if things get to technical i screw up by over compensating or over judging the power available. LOL

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clode, it must be the M8 you bought?
I'm not quite convinced to do the switch either. So going to run my Nytro next season and see what happens with the Sidewinder. Like someone told me recently, "you don't ride a Nytro, you just ride a very rare Yamaha".....i can't argue, its been modded so much it just has the basic looks of the Nytro.
Don't you find it hard riding one and then jumping on the other on different day's, adjusting your style? I know i have a hard time riding the wifes M8, if things get to technical i screw up by over compensating or over judging the power available. LOL

ya I got a m8000 limited.....might as well ride a cat with a 2 smoke on the days that the conditions are not favorable for the Nytro, the lack of power is going to be the biggest adjustment for me, I haven't rode it yet so I will report next winter

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya I got a m8000 limited.....might as well ride a cat with a 2 smoke on the days that the conditions are not favorable for the Nytro, the lack of power is going to be the biggest adjustment for me, I haven't rode it yet so I will report next winter

Oh i see......you will miss that fat girl.
You got a 16?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NICE
You and i must think alike...we both like Yamaha's, Arctic Cats and love our Jet boats...interesting. Are you french or bilingual?? LOL

Dad is french lol, I am not bilingual

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, no one perfect. Just ask my wife, she tell ya.
I see you had the boat out? Saw pic on boating section. Mine still in storage.

yup, 2.6hrs on it on monday

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund your impression was same as mine. With 3 nitros in our garage and having read all the yamy hype we were eagerly awaiting the chance to look at the sidewinder even if we couldnt ride it.
Yet another yamy power plant in a cat ... wtf !!! Thats not wot we were lead to believe, but thats wot im looking at ...
The oil resoviuer even had a sticker saying artic cat such and such oil etc etc. I laughed ...

Yamaha guy answered a few questions, but I guess my disappointment was obvious. He even said the motor, turbo and clutches are the only yamaha parts on the machine ...

Also Lund, kinda funny we both rode rt1000s for years and went to modded turbo nitros ...

I out rode a xm 146 in trees littleduke would have been proud of. Buddy was stuck alot, the turbo sure helps, but I feel confident anywhere ...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund your impression was same as mine. With 3 nitros in our garage and having read all the yamy hype we were eagerly awaiting the chance to look at the sidewinder even if we couldnt ride it.
Yet another yamy power plant in a cat ... wtf !!! Thats not wot we were lead to believe, but thats wot im looking at ...
The oil resoviuer even had a sticker saying artic cat such and such oil etc etc. I laughed ...

Yamaha guy answered a few questions, but I guess my disappointment was obvious. He even said the motor, turbo and clutches are the only yamaha parts on the machine ...

Also Lund, kinda funny we both rode rt1000s for years and went to modded turbo nitros ...

I out rode a xm 146 in trees littleduke would have been proud of. Buddy was stuck alot, the turbo sure helps, but I feel confident anywhere ...

The RT, it was more of a love hate relation we had. Then for a while i didn't have much of a choice but keep it, i had too much $$ invested into it.
Glad those days are over, the Nytro was the obvious choice for me at the time and again too much $$$ invested into it.
So what to do????? when you know what you want in a sled but no one has one to offer you.
Ya, the Sidewinder is not much more then a Viper with a different motor, it will rock in the power department but i don't expect any better handling.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

But lmao your are comparing a 146 in the trees, think the 4 smoke has got to ya dude

A 146 is so not a tree machine at all

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, 2.6hrs on it on monday

That's not even broken in yet. I haven't looked since last fall but i think i have about 65-70hrs on mine. I had to replace the pump mechanical seal last summer, sand and gravel plus sitting out of the water over the winter dried it out and it cracked.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not even broken in yet. I haven't looked since last fall but i think i have about 65-70hrs on mine. I had to replace the pump mechanical seal last summer, sand and gravel plus sitting out of the water over the winter dried it out and it cracked.

22 hrs on boat now

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Ripped the Sidewinder MTX last weekend. Firm spring snow at 6000' and it sidehilled real nice. Feels similar to Viper MTX on transition and ability to change directions on the mountain. Pulls way harder than a 180 kit overall. impromptu uphill drag race between the two. Pulled the Viper 180 by 8-10 lengths overall at 1000' distance. Most impressive was mid range pull and the throttle response. "Always on" as quoted by one of the fortunate ones who got a bit of time aboard it. Can hardly wait for November Pow conditions.
clear.png
I know it will impress the skeptics.
Cheers
RS

Attachments

• Sidewinder MTX.jpg
    Sidewinder MTX.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 383

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ripped the Sidewinder MTX last weekend. Firm spring snow at 6000' and it sidehilled real nice. Feels similar to Viper MTX on transition and ability to change directions on the mountain. Pulls way harder than a 180 kit overall. impromptu uphill drag race between the two. Pulled the Viper 180 by 8-10 lengths overall at 1000' distance. Most impressive was mid range pull and the throttle response. "Always on" as quoted by one of the fortunate ones who got a bit of time aboard it. Can hardly wait for November Pow conditions. http://www.ty4stroke.com/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png I know it will impress the skeptics.
Cheers
RS
Nice, thanks for sharing Randy!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ripped the Sidewinder MTX last weekend. Firm spring snow at 6000' and it sidehilled real nice. Feels similar to Viper MTX on transition and ability to change directions on the mountain. Pulls way harder than a 180 kit overall. impromptu uphill drag race between the two. Pulled the Viper 180 by 8-10 lengths overall at 1000' distance. Most impressive was mid range pull and the throttle response. "Always on" as quoted by one of the fortunate ones who got a bit of time aboard it. Can hardly wait for November Pow conditions. http://www.ty4stroke.com/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png I know it will impress the skeptics.
Cheers
RS
any idea what the weight of the drive train including turbo is compared to the nytro with the mpi kit?

Top Bottom