"NEW" Yamaha 180 Hp Turbocharger Kit

Dtripps

Reaction score
From what i know about the diffent turbos for the nytros Summitboy is correct. I have the MPI 180 kit and love it, i would love more hp but am leary about this upgrade as it is giving diffrent hp ratings at diffrent elevations then the MCX kit. Also when figuring out the hp at elevation you need to subtract the loss of hp at elevation, so like Summitboy said if 9lbs is creating 230 at sea level you will need 12 at elevation to produce 230. Please update on this as i would love to do the upgrade, i just want to be informed about it, and there isnt much being said!

landman

Reaction score
9 lbs boost is 9 lbs boost, regardless of elevation, the only thing that changes is when the waste gate opens. ie) the turbo will have to spin faster at elevation to make the same 9 lbs and thus the same 230 hp.

Chunk

Reaction score
9 lbs boost is 9 lbs boost, regardless of elevation, the only thing that changes is when the waste gate opens. ie) the turbo will have to spin faster at elevation to make the same 9 lbs and thus the same 230 hp.

Not even close. You need more boost at elevation to make the same horsepower.

landman

Reaction score
If I'm so obviously wrong, why? Does the % O2 change with elevation? Don't tell me the air is thinner because that shouldn't matter, if the pressure and 02 content going into the motor are the same I just can't see how you aren't making the same power. I'm not trying to be smart, just want to know the error in my logic. And sorry if this turns into a hijack.

Chunk

Reaction score
As you go up in elevation air is thinner (less density). If a sled makes 180 hp at 6 lbs boost at sea level, boost will need to be raised to keep 180 hp at elevation. 2 strokes make less power as they go up in elevation as well. Beauty of turbos is you can turn up boost and keep your hp

landman

Reaction score
Okay, that explains why NA engines lose power. That does not explain why 6 psi at 1000 ft isn't the same density as 6 psi at 10000 ft. Is it partly due to heat? A turbo would have to move a larger volume of less dense air to make the same boost, does this cause more heat? 6 psi of hot air is not the same as 6 psi of cold air.

Okay never mind, found it on a car forum, turns out the explanation is wildly more complicated than I'd anticipated...again, sorry for the hijack

Last edited:

Summitboy

Reaction score
I'd be leary of the upgrade kit. The math isn't there on pump with no compression reduction. Also there is no real useful information from the builder just hypothetical numbers. I could run around and say my homemade kit is 180HP on 2psi, but where is the proof ?? The 180 kits seems to work although the GEMS is a turd. Our friends upgrade MPI runs hot which is not cool IMO. Anything over 9psi at 6500 feet is playing with fire on pump fuel with no head shim. Thats just my opinion of course LOL !

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chris, sounds like you need to Dyno everyone's kit and post results. I've ridden a lot of different kits and owned a few different ones myself. This upgrade kit for the Mpi 180 works very well as I had a chance to ride it a few different times. There are a lot of kits out there running 8-10 psi without decrease in compression and without intercoolers, This upgrade uses an intercooler, fuel pump and regulator. What do you ride btw? Maybe we should start another post about Summitboy

Dtripps

Reaction score
Like i said, i like the 180 kit, it pulls hard, running 6.5 to 7 lbs boost at elevation, seems to run just as well as the 180 MCX kit, but 230 hp should require 9 to 10 lbs boost at 2000ft, and 12 to 13 at 6500 ft. I would love to see dyno numbers on this kit, and an explanation of how this mpi turbo creates more hp per pound of boost then the mcx kit. boost is compressed air and pound for pound should be the same, unless there is a air temperature diffrence. Not calling anyone out as i love the kit, just looking for info.

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dtripps- I believe @ 2000 ft your running 5 psi correct ? And you said your running 6.5-7 psi to maintain your clutching correct ? So if this kit builds 230 hp @ 9 psi then I would assume you would need 10.5 psi to maintain your clutching correct ? I believe Darren is running these kits safe as I know he has always something up his sleeve !! Last I heard is he is testing larger injectors with a re-map of the factory ecu and timing control something about 17 psi on premium fuel, stk compression. I can't wait till he does that for my Nypex !!!!!

Summitboy

Reaction score
Hornydevil i would love to here your explanation of how you figure your upgrade kit makes 230HP at sea level on 9psi. Just because Darren tells you it makes that doesn't mean it does. It takes MCX 14 psi to make 240 at sea level. Granted there is no compression reduction on the MPI 230kit but 4-5 psi because there is no head shim ??? It must be a magic ! You can get mad all you like i'm calling this kit into question, but the fact remains the math doesn't add up ! It takes a MCX 6psi at sea level to make 180 and almost 9psi at Revy altitude to make 180. If your running a MPI 180 kit at Revy on 6psi your not even making 180HP at elevation. There is no difference between the 180 kits plain and simple. I tried a MCX 180 and also had the chance to try the MPI 180. IMO the MCX 180 pulled better but it was running 8-9psi compared to MPI on 6psi. So that right there tells me the MPI is not making 180HP at the suggested 7ish psi. The upgrade kit is a different matter !

Summitboy

Reaction score
Ah, so here we go ! We know that sea level is roughly 100KPA and Revy is roughly 80KPA. So lets get the compressor map up for this magical turbo and see how it makes this awesome power with no headshim on pump with so little boost ! Turbo model please.......

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
We just spent 2 days @ Yamifest in Revelstoke with the upgrade kit testing big injectors with a remap of the factory ecu, I was running 16-17 psi with full adjustment for fuel and ran amazing. Everyone that rode it could not believe how well it worked. We will be doing more testing with a larger turbine also-Darren

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You offer very little in the way of useful information !

Just a thought, how about calling the person/party involved as you seem to be starving for information. Not sure what your trying to prove but it's starting to get annoying. You obviously have no interest in owning a mpi kit by what I have been reading. You seem to have a hard on for mcx and that's fine, but you don't seem to have any open forum edict as far as calling people or business out online from your staples office chair or the safety of your couch but really now.
We must be between season now as the keyboard pilots are starting to polute the forums again. Hurry up and melt snow so we can go fishing, camping and quading.
Just my opinion

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, how about calling the person/party involved as you seem to be starving for information. Not sure what your trying to prove but it's starting to get annoying. You obviously have no interest in owning a mpi kit by what I have been reading. You seem to have a hard on for mcx and that's fine, but you don't seem to have any open forum edict as far as calling people or business out online from your staples office chair or the safety of your couch but really now.
We must be between season now as the keyboard pilots are starting to polute the forums again. Hurry up and melt snow so we can go fishing, camping and quading.
Just my opinion

:) Thank you.

Top Bottom