"NEW" Yamaha 180 Hp Turbocharger Kit

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would this set up work for someone that would spend half his time at elevation and say half his time riding trails in NE Alberta?

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Absolutely, I wanted a simple kit that could be used at all elevations. I installed a wideband 02 so I could confirm the tuning at both low and high altitude. Kits will be available in the first or second week of Jan 2011. The true test will be putting it head to head to a 180 hp Mcx kit that I built with the exact year,clutching,gearing & suspension setup.-Darren

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
We got a full day with this new kit. We started off about 3000ft and rode both open powder logging roads and wooped out single line trails up to 7000ft and watched the 02 sensor very close. The new altitude compensator works. same settings as home @ -25 (2500ft) today was -5 and always cruising @ 12-13.5 a/f which produced awesome response. And 11.8-12.5 a/f @ wot. Nothing but great response from everyone whom rode it. Tomorrow we hope it clears up so we can do some head to head comparisons. Excellent on fuel also-Darren

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
After 3 days of riding, I am very impressed with the performance of this Turbo kit. Head to head, pound for pound of boost, 2010-162"s, same gearing and clutching. I really like the fact that we supply a tunnel dump exhaust, (because of ice build up) The tunnel stays free of ice build up and air filter stays clean. Performance wise, this kit is exceptional, Everyone who rides it cannot believe how smooth the power delivery is with awesome throttle response. We will have these available in the beginning of the new year. -Darren

Tbird

Reaction score
Tomorrow we hope it clears up so we can do some head to head comparisons. Excellent on fuel also-Darren

Well, how did it compare "head to head" to the 180 hp Mcx kit that you built with the exact year,clutching,gearing & suspension setup?

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
T-Bird: I am sorry for not being clear. From a dead idle drag race the MPI would get a slight jump and stay like that till they both ran out of gearing. Rolling starts would produce side by side ski carrying bumping all the way through to top end. We produced this many times with same results. But the guy on the MPI kit was at least 80 lbs heavier than myself on the MCX kit. The MPI kit spools quicker with the smaller exhaust turbine. I have photos with the difference's of a tunnel dump and muffler as far as ice build up. I will post later when I get back to download off my phone. Darren

tapex

Reaction score
Are there any plans to make the fuel management touchless like the mcx, dont really understand why nobody else can do this yet. Looks like a super easy install without any welding of the exhaust, are the electronics all plug and play like the mcx or do they have to get hard wired in?

Tbird

Reaction score
Lol, it was problably me that was sucking for more info :)
sounds as a great running kit, i know how well an MCX runs so if MPI runs as well, or even better, it's a very good running kit!
So my conclusion, smaller turbine compensates more then enough for the more rearward position, but, how about the ones that i know wanting more power along the way, what does it take to upgrade to 240-270?

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Are there any plans to make the fuel management touchless like the mcx, dont really understand why nobody else can do this yet. Looks like a super easy install without any welding of the exhaust, are the electronics all plug and play like the mcx or do they have to get hard wired in?

The GEMS box that we are using now did not have to get adjusted from low altitude to high altitude, Thanks to a alttitude compensator. But you have the capability to a limited degree of adjustment. The fuel management is plug and play with no hard wire spicing.-Darren

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Lol, it was problably me that was sucking for more info :)
sounds as a great running kit, i know how well an MCX runs so if MPI runs as well, or even better, it's a very good running kit!
So my conclusion, smaller turbine compensates more then enough for the more rearward position, but, how about the ones that i know wanting more power along the way, what does it take to upgrade to 240-270?

After we get the 180hp kits out there we will be working on a upgrade for more power. We will be adding an intercooler, upgraded fuel system and electronics.-Darren

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
How does it compare to the MPI supercharger? Is the supercharger also altitude compensated?

I have set up and ridden many Superchargers and Turbos, the two feel totally different, as the SC will rip your arms off and the Turbo will gently tear your arms off, It is really hard to explain. As far as altitude compensating, Yes I believe it is, The reason I say that is because the new generation GEMS controller for the 180 Hp Turbo is the same one used on the 180 Hp SC, Different mapping of course. We have been testing both high and low and the same settings at both. -Darren

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Barry: This turbo kit is for the Nytro 2008-2011 all models. There is now plans for the Apex for now-Darren

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Got a picture last night-Looks like they are very close to ship-Cant wait to get them on this fresh snow !!!!!!!!!!!!

cookn

Reaction score
T-Bird: I am sorry for not being clear. From a dead idle drag race the MPI would get a slight jump and stay like that till they both ran out of gearing. Rolling starts would produce side by side ski carrying bumping all the way through to top end. We produced this many times with same results. But the guy on the MPI kit was at least 80 lbs heavier than myself on the MCX kit. The MPI kit spools quicker with the smaller exhaust turbine. I have photos with the difference's of a tunnel dump and muffler as far as ice build up. I will post later when I get back to download off my phone. Darren

Darren, would love to see the photo's of the difference on the air intake comparing tunnel dump and muffler for ice build up.
Any issues with the intake location in extreme deep snow?
Thanks

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Here are some pics of on top of the tunnel, And pics of under the tunnel. These were taken at the same time same trip different turbo kits. Mpi turbo kit with a tunnel dump that has 1/2 the ice build up as the other kit without a tunnel dump. The ice build up on the Mpi kit is around the charge tube. On the non tunnel dump you can see the track chewing thru the ice, You can imagine the difference in weight also-Darren

Attachments

• phonedec2010 072.jpg
    phonedec2010 072.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 944
  • phonedec2010 073.jpg
    phonedec2010 073.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 948
  • phonedec2010 071.jpg
    phonedec2010 071.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 947
  • phonedec2010 075.jpg
    phonedec2010 075.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 934

cookn

Reaction score
Darren,
thanks for posting the pics,
it is easily apparent that the under tunnel exhaust reduces the amount of snow buildup in the tunnel.
I noticed however, that there is no snow around the heat exchanger for the engine coolant.
Any issues with overheating?
thanks.

Top Bottom