New theft-alert tracking device - SPOT Trace - Protect ALL your valuables

Cycle Works West

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
We are hoping to see the first batch here tomorrow (Thursday) and we'll put them to the test asap, TylerG we will call you when they land. Based off everyone's questions we will be able to really put these devises to the test and make sure they'll work for all of us, thanks everyone!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
We are hoping to see the first batch here tomorrow (Thursday) and we'll put them to the test asap, TylerG we will call you when they land. Based off everyone's questions we will be able to really put these devises to the test and make sure they'll work for all of us, thanks everyone!

Sounds great guys! Looking forward to helping you with the tests!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my work truck has a gps tracking transmitter and its mounted under the dash. seems to work, got a speed warning email one day. don't see why the spot would be any different.

Got the same thing in my work truck. It has an antenna separate from the unit.

Last edited:

Cycle Works West

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
These little devises just landed, we're going to start playing around with them now. For those of you wondering the actual size of the unit, here are some pictures for you based off a standard business card:

spot trace #1.JPG spot trace #2.JPG spot trace #6.JPG spot trace #0.JPG

The first two pictures are shown with the optional back clip on it, showing it at its widest.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
obviously not turning it on when riding but someone will forget to shut it off or take it out when they head up the trail

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't interfere anymore than a regular spot or in reach. Different frequency range.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
obviously not turning it on when riding but someone will forget to shut it off or take it out when they head up the trail

Well Ushkie, I've been fortunate to be allowed to have Cycle Works Unit for a week to do some trials and testing. I'd be happy to meet with you to test it with a beacon!

Going to do a bunch of tests with it over the next week. Hiding it in different locations on the sled, truck, and under the deck, and I'll try it in an enclosed. If anyone has any specific location tests they would like me to try please post them or PM me and I'll do my best to accomodate everyone!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I picked up this device on Friday, but we had set it up wrong, so now that its setup properly I can use it and do some actual testing with it.

I started out yesterday Morning by turning it on and just putting it on the dash of the car to see what it does and that sort of thing. Soon as the car was in motion I got a text & an email stating the asset is in motion and gave me the GPS co-ordinates of it at that time. For the first 20 minutes of it being on the status lights blink, after that they go dark, so this all black device should be easily be hidden in a manner in which it cannot be found.

From there I thru it in my glovebox, it sat on all day in the glovebox, no further motion was detected nor notifications sent out, until I went to leave work, then immediately I got a text and email stating my asset is in motion. I need to figure out if there is a way that it will constantly update you as it moves instead of just saying "hey its moving" and you having to login to the Findmespot.com website to follow it.

Next I'm going to throw it in the trunk of the car in the spare tire compartment, that will be this afternoon. So far though it is proving reliable and as Cycle Works had posted elsewhere it is a very small device. I have not yet turned it off either, I want to try to see how long these batteries last.

Tomorrow I'm going to hide it in the aluminum rails of the deck of the truck and see if that causes interference for it. From there, I'll start hiding it places on the sleds and move the truck around and see how it works.

I do not have an enclosed trailer, but if anyone in the Spruce Grove area has one with cabinets in it that wouldn't mind doing some testing with me I'd love to work with them.

I will continue to update this thread as I do my testing.

Spot Trace 1.jpg Spot Trace 2.jpg Spot Text Message.jpg

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Can we try under truck hood and under truck seat? So far sounds good

those are tests I have on my list in my book as well yes.

I don't drive my truck often, but I will likely drive it Friday, so I'll try one spot on the way in to work, and one spot on the way home.

Anyone else have other suggestions?

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Between the sled seat and an underseat bag, very well hidden and wedged in there. Plus no metal or electronics above it on the sled. In a trailer if possible.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Between the sled seat and an underseat bag, very well hidden and wedged in there. Plus no metal or electronics above it on the sled. In a trailer if possible.

working on the trailer, I don't have a polaris, but I'll see if we can get Cycle Works to loan me one for a few days. I'm going to try it under the seat of our cats too.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the real bad part is the pro's have jammers......they can jam cell phone signals and anything that is wireless.......it will stop the quick theft but not 100% fool prof for the pro......just like jamming a wireless camera in the yard.....that is why I have my cameras hard wired! I used to sell cell phone jammers.....but they are illegal.... but the pro's can get anything easy if they want it! sorry to burst your bubble!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
the real bad part is the pro's have jammers......they can jam cell phone signals and anything that is wireless.......it will stop the quick theft but not 100% fool prof for the pro......just like jamming a wireless camera in the yard.....that is why I have my cameras hard wired! I used to sell cell phone jammers.....but they are illegal.... but the pro's can get anything easy if they want it! sorry to burst your bubble!

you may be right, but you know having some sort of device is better than having nothing. at some point the "pro's" are going to turn their jammers off and your device will begin transmitting signal again and you'll be able to see it on the Findmespot.com website.

Top Bottom