New theft-alert tracking device - SPOT Trace - Protect ALL your valuables

Cycle Works West

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
We have been listening, watching and sympathizing with all the theft happening near and far and are happy to announce through extensive research we've found a legit way to keep ALL your valuables safe at all times. This little device can be hidden anywhere on anything allowing you to track your snowmobiles, vehicles, motorcycles, UTV's/ATV's, toy haulers, absolutely anything in real time via lap top or cell phone. The unit itself goes for $119.99 excluding your plan which is roughly $100.00/yr. We will be stocking the SPOT Trace immediately!

trace_size.jpg

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long does the battery last ? Great idea to bad it couldn't be hardwired.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long does the battery last ? Great idea to bad it couldn't be hardwired.

Think u can get them with plug ins but if thieves r smart or they take ur batt out (ie trailer, truck etc) then spot is useless. I heard they can last a yr or more on those little batteries. Even 6 months is good. Good on cycle works to listen to ppl and help the public out

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I think im guna talk to the boys at cycleworks about them. I basically only want a update every half hour when it moves ,but my thought is it might be a pain in the ass when your trailering to the hills and riding.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it needs to have a clear view of the sky to work. If it works while it is under the hood of a sled in a sled trailer then it would be a handy security tool. They should give a rebate to Ford owners lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I wonder if it needs to have a clear view of the sky to work. If it works while it is under the hood of a sled in a sled trailer then it would be a handy security tool. They should give a rebate to Ford owners lol.

At the moment, I have one sitting on my desk. From the Quick Start Kit: Tip #1: Mount the unit with logo pointed toward the sky with an unobstructed view (transmits through fiberglass, fabric, and glass - metal obstructions should be avoided).

If one thinks about this and realizes that the satellites are mostly in the southern part of the sky, the tracking may have serious problems as the rays will have to go through metal somewhere (depending on where this unit is mounted). I am still thinking about a good location where this little baby will transmit clearly while parked and while being driven.

Any real life experiences out there yet?

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I honestly wonder if it would really get noticed is just mounted on the roof.... Would a thief actually take the time to get up on the door frame and check the roof.... Is I magnetic or does it need to be bolted?? Maybe some really good 3m tape and slap it up there. Unless they are educated thieves they wouldn't know it was there or even what it was

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly wonder if it would really get noticed is just mounted on the roof.... Would a thief actually take the time to get up on the door frame and check the roof.... Is I magnetic or does it need to be bolted?? Maybe some really good 3m tape and slap it up there. Unless they are educated thieves they wouldn't know it was there or even what it was

I'm going to stop in and see these things like I said in the other thread, and try to get some better photo's and information about them such as:

Battery Life
Mounting
Whether it will work thru Enclosed trailer roofs
Actual size (for mounting)

Either way this is a great device that could come in handy. The only issue I can see is if a guy has 2 sleds, a truck and a trailer, he would need 4 of these to keep track of all the pieces of equipment.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i'm going to stop in and see these things like i said in the other thread, and try to get some better photo's and information about them such as:

Battery life
mounting
whether it will work thru enclosed trailer roofs
actual size (for mounting)

either way this is a great device that could come in handy. The only issue i can see is if a guy has 2 sleds, a truck and a trailer, he would need 4 of these to keep track of all the pieces of equipment.
post up what you find out about these, tylerg ...... :)

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just want to track my sled they usually find the truck and trailer .....that's not what the thieves are after WAY harder for rc's to track toys .......thinking about where I could mount this, has to be somewhere half accessible but not visible to the thief. It would just be so satisfying to kick down the door of some f**kin dirt bag with about 6 of your buddies and take back what's yours .......can't even say what else i would do to the guy if I found him!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my work truck has a gps tracking transmitter and its mounted under the dash. seems to work, got a speed warning email one day. don't see why the spot would be any different.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been listening, watching and sympathizing with all the theft happening near and far and are happy to announce through extensive research we've found a legit way to keep ALL your valuables safe at all times. This little device can be hidden anywhere on anything allowing you to track your snowmobiles, vehicles, motorcycles, UTV's/ATV's, toy haulers, absolutely anything in real time via lap top or cell phone. The unit itself goes for $119.99 excluding your plan which is roughly $100.00/yr. We will be stocking the SPOT Trace immediately!

View attachment 165177

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

What is the advantage of this over the Garmin GTU-10? I see that the Garmin is more expensive up front, but monitoring is quite a bit cheaper and sends the GPS signals more often.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was advised that the battery would only last a couple weeks. Could be a PITA to change all the time. But the guy I chatted to said that it will send you an alert text or email to tell you that the batteries needed to be changed which is pretty cool.

They are small and it would be easy to place it somewhere you couldn't see very easily. Could be a good idea for sure.

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I was advised that the battery would only last a couple weeks. They are small and it would be easy to place it somewhere you couldn't see very easily. Could be a good idea for sure.

we'll do some testing and I'll happily release what I find. The crew at CWW are awesome to work with and obviously are passionate about their customers keeping their toys!

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a self I would pop the seat off hollow out some of the foam and slip it in

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH dont tell the bastards where your guna put it! i was thinkin the same actually but a seat can be easly removed (depending on the sled) im thinkin somewhere under the hood that way the batt stays warmer and will prob last longer

As far as the garmin ive looked and the best ive heard battery life is good for 4 weeks, it has a rechargable battery also for this specific application i think i would rather just be able to swap out AAA for when your on vacation in the hills. but thats just me

does anyone know if spot has an app? can i track this with my phone?

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we'll do some testing and I'll happily release what I find. The crew at CWW are awesome to work with and obviously are passionate about their customers keeping their toys!

Yes please let me know. I'd be very curious.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my work truck has a gps tracking transmitter and its mounted under the dash. seems to work, got a speed warning email one day. don't see why the spot would be any different.

Hard wired units might have an external antenna that will get a signal, so this could be why your's works but is under the dash.

That being said, this stuff ain't rocket science kids. I keep saying this. Buy one of these and toss it in the glove box, if it don't work there, put it in the center console, if not there, clip it to the visor. Until you buy and try, you never know. It might work great in the sunglass holder above the rearview mirror. Any spot in a fiberglass trailer should be pretty good. Nothing says you have to hard mount it, you would only need one, just toss it in whoever's trailer you are taking for the weekend.

Battery life would be the only concern if Rowdy is correct - changing the battery every couple weeks would be a PITA but if you could hard wire it, then not much of an issue. I'm going to look into this a lot more, getting tired of hearing about stolen sleds and hoping its never mine.

Top Bottom