"SPOT" Personal GPS Tracking Device.........

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have tracked my spot user today and it has worked great. Mounted to the riser on her sled. If machine is buried you are right not much use, same concept if you are buried and have spot in your backpack. Tracking seems to be a bit of a toy. The ok is to me the best part as it gives you instant access to where they were last. It seems to work very well and timely but will have to wait and see the times she tells me she sent the ok to see how long it took to get to me.
The GPS cor. will have to be checked for accuracy on another test day. Will do this with another independent GPS unit and press the ok on spot and waypoint the GPS unit at the same time.
And you are correct, S&R here is free so don't pay for the extra $100,000. Only if you are planning a couple of trips to the U.S. should you need it.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had and experience where one day none of the ok messages were sent, still havent figured that one out yet. As a side note, once you start using the ok features people that are waiting at home for you get worried real quick when you forget and dont send them any,

What ever happened to the old days when u said goodby to your mom in the morning and never saw her till dark, no cell phone, spot or even a helmet. thats was freedom

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to the old days when u said goodby to your mom in the morning and never saw her till dark, no cell phone, spot or even a helmet. thats was freedom
that was grade school....and I had to wear a helmet. :(

I have never had an "OK" message not get thru. but as with all technology, there are hiccups with service....ever dropped a call on your cell? or had an instance when your gps won't pick up any satellites? did you have your SPOT facing upward, in clear view of the sky, undisturbed for 20 minutes for all three "OK" messages to go out?

we didn't have all this stuff years ago as you mention. but now it's out there, why not use it? I usualy send 3 "OK" messages a day; when we're gearing up to leave the truck, again around mid-day on a lunch break, and when we get back to the staging area.

it's a cool gadget that one day may save a life, yours or your buddy's, or maybe a complete stranger's. I know my wife is totally impressed with it, she would be concerned if no message went thru, but as long as there were no "HELP" or "911" messages, I don't think she would be too panicked....the guys I ride with also have them, and their "OK" messages go to my email and vice versa.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one so the wife would know that all is ok, when i was in revy two weeks ago it worked great but i made sure when i was sending messages out i would make sure that the unit was in the open for 15 mins, always sent one when we stopped for break. My wife got all messages and gave her a little piece of mind, IMO this unit is great for your loved ones at home that may worry about you, i didn't buy the tracking option because my Garmin Vista Cx does a better job at tracking. I got the S&R option but i didn't know that S&R was free in canada, thanks for the info guys.

Scuba OUT.

Top Bottom