Need Help With a Summit 1000 Highmark sdi !!!!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
another random though, plug wires on backwards? Cyl 2 on Cyl 1 and vice versa?

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the voltage regulator can cause greif, but if the battery is at 13 or so then the sled will run off the battery until its drained.

both fuel pumps seem the be working,
its got fuel,
make sure the pipe and can are on and sealed up,
I can't help but be suspicious of the plugs, mine used to eat plugs, sometimes 1 day is all the plugs were good for and she wouldn't start, or just run one 1 cylinder, change plugs and shes fine. if mine didnt start for other reasons I'd still change the plugs. when ever she rejected plugs, I always put new plugs in her. guys still laugh at me for wasting plugs but it was always the fix.
I ran that sled over 200 days in 2 seasons so I got to know her quriks.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really sympathise with you having to pull over that beast that many times. I think its one of the reasons buddy sold it to me as he wasn't a young man.

Mr summit

Reaction score
Ok I'll do that get the exhaust back together and get new plugs for it thanks for ur guys help and if I don't have the air box on well that have a play in it to for not working ?

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
ok from the top lets start fresh, here is your check list of stuff i want you to check, Summitric has by far the most knowledge of all i know.. but im gonna make a check list,

-put your beer can down,
-finish your smoke
-push the dss key and wiggle to be sire of a good connection,
-verify that the back of the dss is hooked up
-remove spark plugs, lay them on the engine, pull the cord, watch for spark,
-if there is no spark, stop and check your connections,
-if there is spark, reinstall plugs
-push the rer button on the left side below the handgrip controls.
-listen for whirring, this is a sdi function,
-if all that is good, yank that cord three times . if it does't start have a friend hold the throttle open a bit.(possible throttle position failure)
-three more pulls,
-if still nothing than there is a timing issue or spark under compression is poor,
-remember the relays in the front are inherintly garbage, do not trust them or your workmanship
-start from the beginning as many times as it takes,
-that engine needs compression spark and fuel.. if all three are there it will start. it has to.

-

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok from the top lets start fresh, here is your check list of stuff i want you to check, Summitric has by far the most knowledge of all i know.. but im gonna make a check list,

-put your beer can down,
-finish your smoke
-push the dss key and wiggle to be sire of a good connection,
-verify that the back of the dss is hooked up
-remove spark plugs, lay them on the engine, pull the cord, watch for spark,
-if there is no spark, stop and check your connections,
-if there is spark, reinstall plugs
-push the rer button on the left side below the handgrip controls.
-listen for whirring, this is a sdi function,
-if all that is good, yank that cord three times . if it does't start have a friend hold the throttle open a bit.(possible throttle position failure)
-three more pulls,
-if still nothing than there is a timing issue or spark under compression is poor,
-remember the relays in the front are inherintly garbage, do not trust them or your workmanship
-start from the beginning as many times as it takes,
-that engine needs compression spark and fuel.. if all three are there it will start. it has to.

-
Rusty pretty much has it nailed. If the DESS has a good connection the sled will beep once when it starts. There have also been some issues with the injectors sticking open and flooding the motor. If the issue persists have them tested by an injection shop.

Mr summit

Reaction score
I did all of those things you told me to do, there is still nothing, how do I get my spark and compression and fuel back on track, my battery was at 13.1 now it's at 12.8

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
you have spark? fuel and compression,
then if the engine is flooded. hold that throttle wide open,
how old is the fuel?
is the sled completely reassembled.
please post video of sled while pulling,
when you push the rer button the display should light up.
if you think it is flooded. pull plugs and pull engine over 10 times. watch for mist coming out of plug holes..

Mr summit

Reaction score
When I push the rer button, everything lights up, I have had coolant on the bottom of the right cylinder, will that be a problem when the coolant hits the spark plug?

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
perhaps, but it should chug on one till it blows through,
when you pulled with the plugs out how much fuel came out as a mist?
how old is the gas?

Mr summit

Reaction score
The gas is last winters gas but theres on but lil over e of gas in there wen I put the spark plug on top the motor it kinda close to the spark plug hole it flamed throw the exhaust ?

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
thats great news!!!. now grab a fire ext and put the ebrake on.
you are really close,
if anything i recommended is above your skill level stop!! take it in to a pro. they dont give out stars for being a cowboy
I recommend putting some new gas in and prime the engine using the rer button till you hear the pump labor. i think you might just have a bit of an air bubble.
I DO NOT recommend putting a tiny bit of gas into each plug hole and then threading the plugs in and then pulling it. this can cause fire and possible damage to you.. i wont be responsible for it.

Mr summit

Reaction score
Ok well do that rusty and don't worry I all ready tired the gas into each plug hole and it didn't do any thing but I have ebrake on all the time so it don't take off on me

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
ok, good, how much have you pulled?
and did you inspect reeds?
and with gas in the holes it never even bumped??

Top Bottom