My run in with the CO's

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was very surprised they do not require insurance in BC before registering as in my mind defeats the main purpose of registration. I support registration if part of registration is to ensure that everyone else on public roads or trails has a minimum amount of liability insurance to protect others on the road or trail if they are hit by someone not insured for liability. As you say if a guy got hurt and could not work and did not have a private disability plan he would be on his own. BC has ICBC so maybe liability insurance is included with the registration fee.
There is no insurance included, nor is it required. It is entirely up to the individual if they want to spend more money.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then I guess we agree to disagree
The government would collect a total of $5,700 if a sled was purchased for $15,000 new and then resold 4 times for $12,000, $9,000, $6,000 and finally $3,000. I think this resale scenario is fairly realistic. In this case, collecting $5,700 in taxes is ridiculous. I also might add that my sled is registered in BC....very begrudgingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to know the government's reasoning or justification for collecting tax multiple times on a used item. That is a great revenue generator. When I bought an 82 Honda street bike from my cousin on the island, I was surprised to see the tax. That was years ago and I forgot about how it affects OHVs now.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the government's reasoning or justification for collecting tax multiple times on a used item. That is a great revenue generator. When I bought an 82 Honda street bike from my cousin on the island, I was surprised to see the tax. That was years ago and I forgot about how it affects OHVs now.

Oh yah...it's on everything right down to your morning toast and coffee. Every time someone flips a obv it costs. I'm guessing when I do sell my OHVs I get to keep my plate but be sure I'll be paying tax on the new one.

The insurance is something I'm not completely sold on yet. If you were to buy liability to cover your as$ and had a incident, say someone is fatally injured. Now it ends up in court and the crown has to astablish falt, but before that happens I as a lawyer would ask did you have promishion to ride on that road or area....mmmmmm, most of our riding is on FSR or on a licences roads. IE. Interior,canfor, Tolko, timbec, British Columbia timer sales. (BCTS) as our slippery ICBC goes always looking out for themselves. There lawyer would say we're you given promission to ride that area?...how would you respond? Did you get promission to ride on there road??? I know it would be next to impossible to get any writen agreement to ride when the land owner could be brought into the mix on a civil lawsuit.

clubs and assigned riding areas are exempt. This comes with membership or trail passes. You sign off on your stupidity.

These are questions I've asked my insurance companies and no one can awnser that question.... It's like driving home from the bar thinking I'm insured with a few beers under the belt.
I think the government needs to spell out the land use agreement before the hold there hands out looking for some simple tax grab and a quick insurance scam.
my two bits.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a run in with the rcmp at owls head they checked the vins on every sled as they came in at the end of the day didn't ask for registration same at Boulder a few weeks ago ran vins no request of registration which none of our group has because of laziness as soon as one of us gets a ticket we will all get off our ass's and yes I know we're dumb ass's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was very surprised they do not require insurance in BC before registering as in my mind defeats the main purpose of registration. I support registration if part of registration is to ensure that everyone else on public roads or trails has a minimum amount of liability insurance to protect others on the road or trail if they are hit by someone not insured for liability. As you say if a guy got hurt and could not work and did not have a private disability plan he would be on his own. BC has ICBC so maybe liability insurance is included with the registration fee.
It's because icbc is both, insurance and registered

The plate u get for 48 bucks and any tax u pay to get ur stuff done, is persay insurance but only for non plowed fsr roads and private land

This isn't Alberta where u can ditch bang or field ride in b.c......

Last edited:

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they checked vins against a stolen Vin directory or what? Why didn't they just continue doing that without an actual registration system then? Oh right they don't get the tax.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wah wah wah... I don't want to pay taxes... going out and making money is HARD!

Wah wah wah... I don't want to outrun the cops on my unregistered sled... it's too much work...

Stop being lazy. Either get a better job so you can pay a couple bucks to the feds, or stop eating cheetos and go outrun those cops. No? Just gonna bitch about it on the interwebs instead I suppose.

:bluesbros:

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We spoke to several CO's at allen creek and they were all great. we had our insurance, registration and plates. they said BC doesn't require insurance. What happens if there is an accident? isn't it a good idea for everyone to have collision insurance at least? Accidents do happen and what if a guy got hurt and couldn't work? I thought it was weird. I always have full coverage on my sled!

Collision insurance only covers your own sled if you damage it your self by hitting a tree or rolling it down the mountain or if you are at fault in an accident
plpd is what covers you if you are in an accident and damage someone else's sled or hurt them

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Collision insurance only covers your own sled if you damage it your self by hitting a tree or rolling it down the mountain or if you are at fault in an accident
plpd is what covers you if you are in an accident and damage someone else's sled or hurt them
Kinda what I was thinking. Collision wouldn't be the minimum. Liability would be.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got checked at Allen on Sat, and of course I had left everything, plates, registration back in town! Explained it to the badge and he wrote up a warning and said to fax him a copy of the docs and he will rip up the ticket! Guess a guy can't ask for much more than that!!..... I did get a speeding ticket on the way home through Edson, couldn't get out of that one tho!!

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ummm what?! Not sure you actually read my initial post... no one in our group got tickets....so no reason to tie up courts...
Hey Krista, they are all looking to shank Dalton because he got a ticket and was going to fight it. That's what that was about. And that's why they pulled the last thread.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were at Allan Saturday, and Clemina Sunday. Both encountered the C.O's

They said they were checking for stolen sleds... I had my plate and registration in my tool kit, They didn't ask for insurance, probably because you can't get registration without insurance in Alberta.

They didn't even see if the paperwork was matching my serial#... They kinda just looked at the papers and plate, and said thanks.

Buddy had a photo of his and they let him go...

They were friendly, and all.

What they need to do is go down a half of a km on the trail and do this. It was a little too obvious..

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think over the last 35 years I've seen Canada's finest out there maybe 4-5 times and only been checked for proper docs once or twice...I've always had my sleds insured, registered and a plate displayed so never had a problem, in fact every time I have seen them it usually just turns into a BS session. Talk to them like humans and give them some respect and you'll get the same in return. Sure there's the odd one that can be a jerk but for the most part they're just doing their job.

I really crack up in regards to the nay sayers on here that refuse to ins, reg or plate their OHV's....out of the 52114 members on S&M as of today I'm sure there has to be a few that are either with RCMP, Sheriff or City/County Police. It would be so easy to go after them because of the posts they make, pics of machines they ride and then they actually post when and where they're going to ride....kinda like shootin' fish in a barrel!! But I guess you can't fix stupid.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I also had a good experience with the coppers and they told me that so far this year they have retrieved 60-70 stolen sleds and 95% of them were found in the Revelstoke area. First time I have ever registered my sled after reading about it on S and M so thanks for the heads up everyone. On a side note most people do not realize that the ONLY way you have coverage on your sled while transporting it is if you have collision on it. YOUR VEHICLE DOES NOT COVER IT EVER. I know this for a fact as I hit a moose a couple of years ago and did 20k damage to truck and wrote off trailer. Also if you do not have collision on your trailer separately it is not covered in an accident as well but the vehicle does cover damages to another vehicle if you sideswipe it or whatever, do your research people, I know it opened my eyes for sure. It always sucks to find this out after the fact, luckily we had collision on the trailer and the sleds all had collision but they weren't damaged much anyways so we were out just the deductible.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how is everyone mounting plates? I'm thinking of getting a "sticker" of my plate made up and put it on my sled and just carry the actual plate in my pack.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mounted mine on the tailflap Krista. I drilled out the 2 center rivets and drilled to 1/4 inch then installed 2 small 1/4" bolts with a washers and nyloc nuts. Took 10 minutes and plate is out of the way and undamaged so far.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you cant make a sticker of your plate, your not a gov't agency. it would be consider fraud, its no different that making
a sticker for your vehicle. i mounted mine to the rear bumper with metal clamps. so it swings out of the way

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used heavy tie raps on the bumper on a demo and lasted 1 day. Tore the holes out on the plate.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you cant make a sticker of your plate, your not a gov't agency. QUOTE]

Blah, blah blah, who the fcuk cares, at least he is trying, move along ndp supporter, the last thing we need is more government controls on,our life

Last edited:
Top Bottom