My run in with the CO's

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw another thread on here about a run in with some CO's...couldn't find it...but I had a very different experience.

We were sitting on the side of the trail at Gorman at the end of the day, they approached us on their way past asking for all the information.

Most of my group was prepared, none of us had plates mounted and two of the sleds had mismatched information, wrong plates etc etc. Well they could have given out tickets, confiscated the one sled, and held the one guy riding it apparently. No tickets were handed out, they just gave us some information, took a bunch of pictures of our sleds and went on their way.

All in all a fairly pleasant experience, they were just doing their job and were very reasonable to deal with. I asked them a bunch of questions, and the one CO said that without proper identification that they could hold a person until their identity could be verified. Not sure if that's true or not, but it might be a good idea for everyone to start carrying ID with them. I always have, but no one else in my group had ID.

Anywho, just wanted to share my experience and that bit about ID. Hope everyone had an enjoyable long weekend!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Fish Guys were at trailer head in Clemina checking papers. Not all that concerned about plates and did suggest the "under the seat" wasn't very visible (he was saying with humor).
Did verify insurance against the sled serial #.
They were pleasant and polite.
They told me that of the 60 sleds they checked there were no tickets given, just warnings, no stolen sleds found.
We did see a few rigs pull in, see them and drive out.
They told me at another time they would do the same thing but have RCMP at exit stopping and verifying sleds, tuck & trailer meet the law of trucks were trying to leave after entering. Seemed suspicious that with tons of parking they would leave immediately.
A pleasant experience for our group.

Sledding "Just Do It"

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got checked at Castle on the weekend. Showed him my papers, plates were on sled not in backpack. Chatted for a few minutes and left. Very nice to deal with. They were doing their job and I wasn't breaking the law. No problems. Glad to see they're out there. Maybe they'll find our sled that was stolen a few years ago.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The more pleasant experiences these guys have interacting with us the more likely they are to view us with friendlier eyes.
The more a$$holes they meet the more they will come to us with their backs up expecting to be hassled.
Good to hear they are being treated with a measure of respect.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These CO's went up to retrieve a sled that they suspect was stolen. It was on the Holt side buried up to the handle bars. They dug it out and were trying to check it out but apparently the serial and VIN numbers were off and it had been painted

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
So offering them a beverage is a good idea?
The more pleasant experiences these guys have interacting with us the more likely they are to view us with friendlier eyes.
The more a$$holes they meet the more they will come to us with their backs up expecting to be hassled.
Good to hear they are being treated with a measure of respect.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We spoke to several CO's at allen creek and they were all great. we had our insurance, registration and plates. they said BC doesn't require insurance. What happens if there is an accident? isn't it a good idea for everyone to have collision insurance at least? Accidents do happen and what if a guy got hurt and couldn't work? I thought it was weird. I always have full coverage on my sled!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just pay the tickets you should have gotten. Dont tie up the courts fighting them

ummm what?! Not sure you actually read my initial post... no one in our group got tickets....so no reason to tie up courts...

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We spoke to several CO's at allen creek and they were all great. we had our insurance, registration and plates. they said BC doesn't require insurance. What happens if there is an accident? isn't it a good idea for everyone to have collision insurance at least? Accidents do happen and what if a guy got hurt and couldn't work? I thought it was weird. I always have full coverage on my sled!

Was very surprised they do not require insurance in BC before registering as in my mind defeats the main purpose of registration. I support registration if part of registration is to ensure that everyone else on public roads or trails has a minimum amount of liability insurance to protect others on the road or trail if they are hit by someone not insured for liability. As you say if a guy got hurt and could not work and did not have a private disability plan he would be on his own. BC has ICBC so maybe liability insurance is included with the registration fee.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was very surprised they do not require insurance in BC before registering as in my mind defeats the main purpose of registration. I support registration if part of registration is to ensure that everyone else on public roads or trails has a minimum amount of liability insurance to protect others on the road or trail if they are hit by someone not insured for liability. As you say if a guy got hurt and could not work and did not have a private disability plan he would be on his own. BC has ICBC so maybe liability insurance is included with the registration fee.

That is why it's viewed as a cash grab

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

In my case they didn't care about registration, they wanted insurance and confirmation that serial numbers matched on paper and sled.
I agree Roy, it's the insurance that protects me and everyone else.

Sledding "Just Do It"

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Most of the people on this site still don't get it...it is all about the government collecting 12% PST on every used vehicle registration and 7% PST on every new vehicle registration. PERIOD...full stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Find it funny that you can get plates without insurance? But I never lived in bc so don't know what goes on when you register something.

90% of the time the only people that complain about the co's where doing something wrong or had attitude! I was fishing yesterday and the fish cops stopped by to talk to me. I had a nice talk with them and they were on there way. They aren't bad people they just doing there job.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Most of the people on this site still don't get it...it is all about the government collecting 12% PST on every used vehicle registration and 7% PST on every new vehicle registration. PERIOD...full stop.

I disagree, not that there not looking for the money, but they did this before all these changes.
It also makes sense considering a guy had his trailer and sleds stolen the night before this check.
Me....I completely support the checks but think they need the RCMP checking anyone who avoid the check....there is where the money is at.

Sledding "Just Do It"

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree, not that there not looking for the money, but they did this before all these changes.
It also makes sense considering a guy had his trailer and sleds stolen the night before this check.
Me....I completely support the checks but think they need the RCMP checking anyone who avoid the check....there is where the money is at.

Sledding "Just Do It"

Then I guess we agree to disagree
The government would collect a total of $5,700 if a sled was purchased for $15,000 new and then resold 4 times for $12,000, $9,000, $6,000 and finally $3,000. I think this resale scenario is fairly realistic. In this case, collecting $5,700 in taxes is ridiculous. I also might add that my sled is registered in BC....very begrudgingly.

Top Bottom