My experience with the Tesla Model 3

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this really applies to EV because you are already plugged in to charge and then go on to your phone and start the heaters and seat warmers through the app. If you set your charge time to start at say 2am and you leave to go to work at 8am that gives you a warm car and warm battery to start your trip.

Thats pretty neat, so these can charge the batteries and heat everything off any 120 outlet???

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty neat, so these can charge the batteries and heat everything off any 120 outlet???

Yes but 120v is very slow. It is basically useless when it’s -25. In the pic above I’m charging at 6kw which is 24 amps @240volts. You can use third party app to automate the warming up at a specific time every day if you want. Or if you have your phone calendar synced with the car it will warm up on its own. It will go from -25 to +25 in about 15 minutes or so.

You can schedule the charging to start at a certain time. You also set an end point so it will stop automatically once it gets to a certain percent. If you’re supercharging you will get a notification that says “you have enough charge to continue your trip” or “charging is nearly complete”. The Tesla plug in will lock itself in so no one can unplug you or steal your charger.

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does that thing handle the snow and ice? How do they control all that low end torque?

Most ICE traction control systems suck donkey balls.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does that thing handle the snow and ice? How do they control all that low end torque?

I would assume controlling the torque output of an electric motor would be far simpler and more elegant than an ICE. Plus with the AWD, it should drive fairly nice.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

With proper tires it’s really good. Separate motors for the front and back. They detect slippage in 10ms. You have to run the vehicle in chill mode (limits acceleration) and turn down the regenerative braking. The car weighs 4200 lbs and feels planted. I think it’s better on ice than my 1ton dodge on studded duratracs.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With proper tires it’s really good. Separate motors for the front and back. They detect slippage in 10ms. You have to run the vehicle in chill mode (limits acceleration) and turn down the regenerative braking. The car weighs 4200 lbs and feels planted. I think it’s better on ice than my 1ton dodge on studded duratracs.

I can believe it! I had a Subaru STI for a few years and with winter tires it was better in the winter than any 4X4 truck I’ve ever had, even with winter tires.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That argument doesn’t make sense. That’s like saying what happens if you get stuck on Rogers pass in -20 with less than a quarter tank of fuel. At least there is a charger at the pass. Don’t think there are any gas stations however.
Is that a roadside charger?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a 200km trip yesterday to Medicine Hat. It was -20 going there and -25 coming back. Was able to charge at the peavy mart but next time I'll just bring the proper adapter for my mobile charger so I can use it with a 50amp welder plug. Used 35kWh going there and 43kWh coming back (return trip was colder and slight headwind).

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe too early to jump up and down...the "saltwater" costs more than gas...

From Wikipedia:
Similar to regular modern flow cells, nanoFlowcell is producing electricity from liquids. However, the electrolyte is not common salt water as commonly stated in several internet forums, but the electrolyte solution bi-ION consists of a conductive liquid - organic and inorganic salts dissolved in water - and the electrolytes themselves, nano-particles which are specific molecules designed by nanoFlowcell Holdings Ltd. While dissolved redox salts are responsible for the energy transfer in conventional redox flow batteries, the bi-ION electrolyte is an energy storage medium whose suspended nano-particles permit a considerably higher energy density than regular redox electrolyte liquids.[SUP][16][/SUP][h=2]Controversy[edit][/h]There is a lack of scientific understanding or patents describing how water with metallic salts can be used to produce electric energy with the efficiency and energy density that the company claims, and no independent third party measurements confirming the claims are available.[SUP][17][/SUP] The claimed performance contradicts research that has been done on flow batteries.[SUP][18][/SUP] It has been said that "there is no solid proof just yet that the QUANT e actually works and performs as advertised".[SUP][19][/SUP]
The Quant 48 Volt delivers 560 kW at 48 V, with 140 kW going to each motor.[SUP][20][/SUP] This means the current going to each motor is equal to 2917 Amps. The company fails to explain how it deals with cooling those cables

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recent trip to Edmonton. It was -25 for most of it. Nearly at 8000 km now.

2f94d622977aa95f14f7094c86874d5d.jpg

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is for sure ST (a fire a horrible way to go). Maybe this new "smart tech" is involved. I mean the guy was driving between 75 and 90 MPH on what could be a city street so he probably had to over ride or ignore a safety feature or two. When he flew off the road and the car realized it was mortally wounded, it decided to murder its owner for being such a douche bag. Very Game of Thrones.

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No sh*t.........no spare parts left on either one of them. I wonder if he was worried about carbon emissions?

Top Bottom