My experience with the Tesla Model 3

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price of fuel has been pretty steady on average for the last 10 years at least, price of power is on a steady incline the last 10 years, proof is in the pudding, I burn lots of fuel and use lots of power at work, in 08 I was paying about $1 / litre of gas, paying under that now. At work our average power price is up almost double since 2008, this bad boy is a 10,000 hp electric motor drawing 8MW /hr at the moment, capable of over 10mw, we have 7 of them running almost 24 hours a day, I think I have an idea where I’m coming from

Holy $hit Batman...each one of those draws 8000 Kw/hr at $.10 to $.20 Kw/hr. That’s most likely between $800 and $1,600 per hr or 7 to 14 million dollars a year in energy consumption. And to think, sometimes my wife complains about the energy our hot tub uses.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy $hit Batman...each one of those draws 8000 Kw/hr at $.10 to $.20 Kw/hr. That’s most likely between $800 and $1,600 per hr or 7 to 14 million dollars a year in energy consumption. And to think, sometimes my wife complains about the energy our hot tub uses.

We pay a much different cost but yep we use a lot of energy

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
price of fuel has been pretty steady on average for the last 10 years at least, price of power is on a steady incline the last 10 years, proof is in the pudding, i burn lots of fuel and use lots of power at work, in 08 i was paying about $1 / litre of gas, paying under that now. At work our average power price is up almost double since 2008, this bad boy is a 10,000 hp electric motor drawing 8mw /hr at the moment, capable of over 10mw, we have 7 of them running almost 24 hours a day, i think i have an idea where i’m coming from

what do those things doo?? And 7 of them? Wow

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imo the quality and style of a cobalt vs tesla isnt even close
thats like comparing your ranger to a platinum f350

good point.

so lets factor in the initial cost of the mentioned 200 C at around 23K vs 70k for the tesla in the financial comparison, seeing how the 200 has better fuel economy than the cobalt anyways.

can buy alot of fuel over a 10 year period with an extra 47000 dollars in your jeans(around 47000 litres id guess)

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do those things doo?? And 7 of them? Wow

They spin a rotor disc with steel plates on it against a stator disc with the same plates on it, they are about 2mm apart. While it’s up to speed wood chips are fed in at about 300 tons/ hr between the two plates and grinded up and blown out the bottom as pulp, they are called refiners. It’s a way to make pulp with energy instead of a lot of harsh chemicals like Hintons mill does

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good point.

so lets factor in the initial cost of the mentioned 200 C at around 23K vs 70k for the tesla in the financial comparison, seeing how the 200 has better fuel economy than the cobalt anyways.

can buy alot of fuel over a 10 year period with an extra 47000 dollars in your jeans(around 47000 litres id guess)

Lol that 200 C was more like $38,000 when new in 2016 but still 32,000 litres of fuel to play with

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
they spin a rotor disc with steel plates on it against a stator disc with the same plates on it, they are about 2mm apart. While it’s up to speed wood chips are fed in at about 300 tons/ hr between the two plates and grinded up and blown out the bottom as pulp, they are called refiners. It’s a way to make pulp with energy instead of a lot of harsh chemicals like hintons mill does
thanks... Learn something new on snowandmud.com every day ;) …. That is very kool, and noisy, i bet?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good point.

That is $47000 PLUS interest. Even if you have that 47 grand in cash, it would be earning interest or value in savings and investment. Money does not sit idle.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EV’s are not powered by fairy dust, I’m not sure why some even suspected this as mentioned in the article.
Just get a little smarter, put a space heater in the cab to warm up the cab, so there is no drain on the main battery. Of course there needs to be a really good power point to keep the breaker from tripping when the heated and the block heater are going.
At -30 its sure nice to jump into a warm car, ive been doing it all winter.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EV’s are not powered by fairy dust, I’m not sure why some even suspected this as mentioned in the article.
Just get a little smarter, put a space heater in the cab to warm up the cab, so there is no drain on the main battery. Of course there needs to be a really good power point to keep the breaker from tripping when the heated and the block heater are going.
At -30 its sure nice to jump into a warm car, ive been doing it all winter.

You are talking about gas powered vehicles right?

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's something.

we keep bitching about the power usage in winter to heat the cab.

Good thing the air conditioning compressor runs on fairy dust in the summer

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
No... it runs on power generated by engine which burns fuel, "Don't turn on the AC it decreases the fuel economy" said every old man and Polish guy...… I would imagine the AC would be just as hard on an EV's battery in the summer as the heater is in the winter.....

here's something.

we keep bitching about the power usage in winter to heat the cab.

Good thing the air conditioning compressor runs on fairy dust in the summer

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are talking about gas powered vehicles right?

Yes i was mentioning my experience with using a power point at work, for the block heater, and the space heater in my gas engine car.
I have 5min of idle time in the evening at -30, my cab is already warm and so is my engine block.
Im unsure if the batteries on a EV have a heater or not, but the topic in the article was about the reduced capacity of the battery in the EV, due to having to run the electric heater to warm up the cab.
If a person could not put there car inside while at work, maybe keeping the interior warm with a space heater may reduce the power consumption of the EV batteries on warmup???

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No... it runs on power generated by engine which burns fuel, "Don't turn on the AC it decreases the fuel economy" said every old man and Polish guy...… I would imagine the AC would be just as hard on an EV's battery in the summer as the heater is in the winter.....

nope.

im pretty sure its fairy dust

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes i was mentioning my experience with using a power point at work, for the block heater, and the space heater in my gas engine car.
I have 5min of idle time in the evening at -30, my cab is already warm and so is my engine block.
Im unsure if the batteries on a EV have a heater or not, but the topic in the article was about the reduced capacity of the battery in the EV, due to having to run the electric heater to warm up the cab.
If a person could not put there car inside while at work, maybe keeping the interior warm with a space heater may reduce the power consumption of the EV batteries on warmup???

I'm not sure this really applies to EV because you are already plugged in to charge and then go on to your phone and start the heaters and seat warmers through the app. If you set your charge time to start at say 2am and you leave to go to work at 8am that gives you a warm car and warm battery to start your trip.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In my experience a/c in hot temps is not as bad as the heater cranked in cold temps. The battery is much more efficient between 20-40 degrees. Maximum EV range would be hot temps without a/c but that is pretty miserable and don't recommend that.
This is for the model S but will give you an idea...
https://toddmotto.com/angular-tesla-range-calculator/

Top Bottom